Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2024, 10:28 PM

64 posts, read 21,246 times

Advertisements

Just discovered here in Lake Success that a builder who demolished a house and is finishing the one he put up , put rodent killer all over the property. Then it rained, and there were countless dead mice and voles along the curb for blocks. Not only is this dangerous for cats and dogs being walked, but for children who play outside, and probably countless other wildlife. I did some research and found out that these rodents carry diseases which humans can contract just by touching them and not to do so without gloves. Village government has ignored my emails. I also learned that if you live in an incorporated village like this no other government has any control or even input. You are at the mercy of your own village. This should not be allowed. I don't know if other builders are doing the same thing, but this guy has permits for three more houses here in the neighborhood. I am contacting our legislators, the media, wildlife groups, and as many others as I can find. This should not be allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 05:32 PM

31,987 posts, read 27,135,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota500 View Post
Just discovered here in Lake Success that a builder who demolished a house and is finishing the one he put up , put rodent killer all over the property. Then it rained, and there were countless dead mice and voles along the curb for blocks. Not only is this dangerous for cats and dogs being walked, but for children who play outside, and probably countless other wildlife. I did some research and found out that these rodents carry diseases which humans can contract just by touching them and not to do so without gloves. Village government has ignored my emails. I also learned that if you live in an incorporated village like this no other government has any control or even input. You are at the mercy of your own village. This should not be allowed. I don't know if other builders are doing the same thing, but this guy has permits for three more houses here in the neighborhood. I am contacting our legislators, the media, wildlife groups, and as many others as I can find. This should not be allowed.
Either by code/law or good practice baiting of structures with rodenticide pre-demolition has been in existece for decades.

https://www.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downl...ertificate.pdf

https://selectexterminating.com/comm...n-pre-baiting/

And so it goes...

If local code or law requires developer to pre-bait then you're barking up wrong tree. Long as thing was carried out correctly and legally there's not much you can do otherwise.

You also cannot prove rodenticide caused massive rodent kill just because it rained.

Contrary to popular belief there are no known professional rodenticides that cause rats or mice to seek water.

Heavy rains have been known however to cause mass die offs of mice, rats and other vermin who live underground. This be it in their own burrows (soil) or sewers; either way when water begins to rise vermin who cannot escape (or tread water for long) will drown, same as humans or any other mammal.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/19/w...scn/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5k5SNy_M1k

Finally what would you have developers do? If commensal rodents are often found in all sorts of human made structures including buildings. If those properties are not pre-baited then when torn down those rats and mice will scatter to adjacent properties and set up housekeeping anew.

Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM

16,914 posts, read 16,162,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota500 View Post
You are absolutely right!

Old Today, 08:12 AM

This is not pre-demolition. The house is already built and they are working on the inside. The mice were not seeking water. They were on the property already dead and were washed into the street by the rain. There don't seem to be any regulations in this village for baiting, not in terms of what can be used or how it can be done. Who knows how many of these mice got off the property onto other people's property before they actually died.

The Senator I spoke to agrees that this is not acceptable and that the poison ( whatever it is they are using) could be harmful and possibly lethal to other animals, as well as dangerous for humans. He and the Assemblyman I contacted will be looking into this and er will see what happens.

Old Today, 08:15 AM

There is no code, no regulations on rodents and rodenticides. There are rodents in all neighborhoods and in many houses. That is not the issue. The issue is the poison they are using and how dangerous it is to the area dogs and cats who are prone to pick up rodents on the street to carry in their mouths. It is the poison which is problematic. If people are told to never touch them without gloves you have to know this is a big issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island