Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 09:38 AM

3,301 posts, read 2,383,217 times

Advertisements

Why would you have a deck and pool in your yard without permits? We have a deck and have a permit for it. Maybe one of your neighbors had to go through all the hassle of getting their permits and they see that you didn't. No different than people coming into this country legally and then watching all of the criminals just walking in without goin through the legal process that they had to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2024, 10:51 AM

2,691 posts, read 2,348,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Why would you have a deck and pool in your yard without permits? We have a deck and have a permit for it. Maybe one of your neighbors had to go through all the hassle of getting their permits and they see that you didn't. No different than people coming into this country legally and then watching all of the criminals just walking in without goin through the legal process that they had to.
Because permits are a scam and used to extract $$ and raise taxes. A pool you need it for if it is in ground. I am 93% done finishing 1k sq ft of my basement still have the back room that’s 500 sq ft unfinished. Why would I pay $350 for a permit then get a $600-800 a year tax hike? It makes no sense. I built it so code I have a gfci breaker all outlets work it has better than required insulation etc. I have oversized garage doors so I had all the lumber and Sheetrock dropped directly in garage. Bottom line unless your doing an addition or a pool never get a permit.

Old 05-16-2024, 08:35 PM

3,301 posts, read 2,383,217 times
It is a money maker but there is also a safety factor involved. People think they know how to build a deck or finish a basement but decks have collapsed snd basements involve electrical work, sometimes plumbing, etc. most people have no idea what they are doing. They need someone to inspect the work. Above ground pool is no big deal. I didn’t think that needed a permit, but an in-ground pool should require one. Either way, if it’s required, then get a permit. Why should others get one but some others don’t?

Old 05-17-2024, 06:07 AM

1,296 posts, read 579,077 times
Pools require a permit. That's not a local determination. That comes right from the State Uniform Fire Prevention & Building Code. The State carves out about 12 instances where the Authority Having Jurisdiction MAY choose to waive permit requirements. In these cases, work must be done to code but there is no requirement to have plan review and inspection to confirm. These are items like fences (not part of a pool enclosure), tool sheds under a certain size, replacing listed and labeled electrical fixtures, movable cases (like rearranging the inside of a retail space), temporary performance stages. A local AHJ may still choose to require permits, but the state gives the option to waive. Pools are usually defined in state or local code as well, so something like an inflatable kiddie pool won't be big enough to trigger code requirements. Decks don't fall into this category and are probably one of the mkre unstable types of structures prone to collapse.

Old 05-17-2024, 07:53 AM

22,719 posts, read 36,928,387 times
Peoples' personal opinions don't matter when it comes to permits. They ARE required, so yes if someone did the right thing and got one and they suspect you didn't, they may rat you out. However, I have to say that most people won't care or even investigation unless you're acting like a complete blowhard about it or becoming a nuisance to the neighborhood.

So if you're the guy telling your neighbor "you got permits? You're a SUCKER" yeah they're gonna turn you in.

If you're the guy who put a pool on a 60x100 and don't see the need to fence it properly, are loud at all hours of the day and night and so on - yeah you're gonna get turned in.

Old 05-17-2024, 12:31 PM

19 posts, read 3,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Because permits are a scam and used to extract $$ and raise taxes. A pool you need it for if it is in ground. I am 93% done finishing 1k sq ft of my basement still have the back room that’s 500 sq ft unfinished. Why would I pay $350 for a permit then get a $600-800 a year tax hike? It makes no sense. I built it so code I have a gfci breaker all outlets work it has better than required insulation etc. I have oversized garage doors so I had all the lumber and Sheetrock dropped directly in garage. Bottom line unless your doing an addition or a pool never get a permit.
There are safety issues with a pool that are the reason for a permit. There are also safety issues with basement renovations not to mention those creating illegal apartments.

Old 05-17-2024, 01:14 PM

1,517 posts, read 787,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis1 View Post
There are safety issues with a pool that are the reason for a permit. There are also safety issues with basement renovations not to mention those creating illegal apartments.
Why do I need one for central air ? Is there a safety reason for that? What about replacing sheet rock which may need one in certain towns?

Is a chicken coop dangerous without a permit ?

Doors and windows could use one technically if you modify a stud.

I’m not against permits but needing permits for somethings can seem insane to some people.

Old 05-17-2024, 03:22 PM

2,691 posts, read 2,348,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis1 View Post
Pools I agree with. Basement no need it’s already existing space. My basement won’t be rented, it has 2 egress windows and gfci I met code w/o the aggravation and $$ issues the town causes.

Old 05-17-2024, 07:15 PM

1,296 posts, read 579,077 times
Should also be known: the Authority Having Jurisdiction, at least in Nassau, has nothing to do with tax assessments. In fact, they don't even communicate in these matters. Towns and villages don't tell the County what permits have been obtained; the County doesn't inform the Town or village when they jack up an assessment based upon additional structures or presumed multi-family use.

Old 05-17-2024, 08:18 PM

723 posts, read 626,078 times
I thought with a recent ruling the complainant aka the rats information who wrote the letter must be provided to the defendant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: