Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 10:05 AM

2,694 posts, read 2,351,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis1 View Post
I could care less about the color of an AR-15, it is very damaging. I am not making the argument that it is the only weapon to be concerned about just that it is a favorite in many mass shootings and puts security at a disadvantage.

But back to the topic, I don't see one armed guard being effective, we have the failure of Uvalde to compare. Texas poured millions of dollars and hardened schools after an earlier shooting in Sante Fe, it was unsuccessful but Long Island seems to be heading in that direction.
In my district each school will have multiple armed guards depending on size of school and exterior entry points. From presentations I saw all LI districts that have them more than 1 at each school. There purpose is to patrol exterior and look for suspicious activity and communicate with the inside security guards and police if necessary. Based on the cost it’s absolutely worth it for the extra layer of protection. It’s going to cost under $20 a year in property tax hikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2024, 10:22 AM

306 posts, read 136,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
In my district each school will have multiple armed guards depending on size of school and exterior entry points. From presentations I saw all LI districts that have them more than 1 at each school. There purpose is to patrol exterior and look for suspicious activity and communicate with the inside security guards and police if necessary. Based on the cost it’s absolutely worth it for the extra layer of protection. It’s going to cost under $20 a year in property tax hikes.
So are the SD also using metal detectors as well or scanners, like in NYC schools? My local HS had metal detectors since the 90's and scanners in mid 2000's.

Otherwise, reads like a false sense of security, that may amount to no protection. Also, the security guard is the real weakness, if they befriend students or staff.

Old 05-22-2024, 10:30 AM

10,846 posts, read 5,761,032 times
Quote:
I could care less about the color of an AR-15, it is very damaging. I am not making the argument that it is the only weapon to be concerned about just that it is a favorite in many mass shootings and puts security at a disadvantage.

But back to the topic, I don't see one armed guard being effective, we have the failure of Uvalde to compare. Texas poured millions of dollars and hardened schools after an earlier shooting in Sante Fe, it was unsuccessful but Long Island seems to be heading in that direction.
It is “very damaging” in the context that a gunshot would from any firearm is “very damaging.”

The .223/5.56 cartridge used predominantly in AR-15 rifles is rather low powered among centerfire rifle cartridges. Most deer/hog/elk hunting cartridges are quite a bit more powerful.

The failure in Uvalde wasn’t an inability of an armed guard to deal with an assailant armed with an AR-15. It was instead a general failure on the part of the officers on scene to engage with the shooter. Note that when men with guns AND a willingness to engage arrived on scene (the Border Patrol Tac Unit), the shooter was quickly killed.

It’s OK that you don’t understand any of this. However, it’s not OK when you try to present your ignorance as established fact.

Old 05-22-2024, 10:42 AM

1,525 posts, read 792,609 times
Quote:

What will make it effective to you. What do you recommend.

Old 05-22-2024, 07:56 PM

2,517 posts, read 3,073,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
What do you recommend.
Simply post the following plaque at the school entrance.

Welcome To Safeville High School

Principle: Wyatt Earp
Vice Principle: John Henry Holliday
School Nurse: Anne Oakley
Math Department Chair: James Butler Hickok
Department Of English: Christopher Houston (Kit) Carson
Department Or Art: William Frederick Cody

Last Year's Valedictorian: William H. Bonney

Old 05-22-2024, 08:43 PM

5,095 posts, read 3,991,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
It is “very damaging” in the context that a gunshot would from any firearm is “very damaging.”

The .223/5.56 cartridge used predominantly in AR-15 rifles is rather low powered among centerfire rifle cartridges. Most deer/hog/elk hunting cartridges are quite a bit more powerful.

The failure in Uvalde wasn’t an inability of an armed guard to deal with an assailant armed with an AR-15. It was instead a general failure on the part of the officers on scene to engage with the shooter. Note that when men with guns AND a willingness to engage arrived on scene (the Border Patrol Tac Unit), the shooter was quickly killed.

It’s OK that you don’t understand any of this. However, it’s not OK when you try to present your ignorance as established fact.
Your points are logical as well as commonsensical.

At the same time, committed anti-gun people simply cannot and will not acknowledge that responsible gun owners defeat and deter violent crime. Ditto armed security guards. Sooo, they cannot be persuaded.

On the bright side, Newsday definitely wanted to stir it up regarding armed school security. The editors and their lib bubble see things quite differently from normal folks. And the budgets (including armed security guards) easily passed.

Old 05-23-2024, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post

At the same time, committed anti-gun people simply cannot and will not acknowledge that responsible gun owners defeat and deter violent crime. Ditto armed security guards. Sooo, they cannot be persuaded.
His bolded AND is accurate but also highlights the limitations and potential liability. I'd argue, a man with a plan is way more dangerous then any armed guard, especially in the school setting.

Court officers all have guns, yet they you are also required to pass through a metal detectors and have your bags scanned. Which suggest, armed guards only address limited scenarios and not an end all or really effective.

Old 05-23-2024, 07:49 AM

10,846 posts, read 5,761,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
His bolded AND is accurate but also highlights the limitations and potential liability. I'd argue, a man with a plan is way more dangerous then any armed guard, especially in the school setting.

Court officers all have guns, yet they you are also required to pass through a metal detectors and have your bags scanned. Which suggest, armed guards only address limited scenarios and not an end all or really effective.
The vast majority of mass shootings are ended when armed men appear on the scene, whether the shooter is killed by the armed men, or when the shooter sees no way out and suicides. And this happens in spite of being a “man with a plan.”

Assuming proper training of armed school guards, what scenario(s) do you envision where our schools are less safe as a result of armed security?

Old 05-23-2024, 08:37 AM

Never said less safe, only pointing out there are inherent limitations of an armed guard. But as you alluded too, they stop the shooter at some point but not necessarily the casualty.

Training is one thing, however; formed relationships, biases and even potential failures of the armed guard should be aknowledged - not just best case scenarios.

Students can befriend a guard, and he becomes biased and ignores signs of potential threats within.
Students still can bring weapons in, takes a hostage and demands the guards guns. Or the guard is taken hostage. Or the guard shots and accidentily kills a student. Or they run cause of fear.
The element of surprise may be a better deterent -annouced but not identied but in plain sight.

Old 05-23-2024, 10:11 AM

35 posts, read 5,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post

The multiple security guards at Uvalde were trained why do you expect a different outcome with on armed guard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island