Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:45 PM

889 posts, read 2,406,927 times

Advertisements

Sent: Friday, June 06, 2008 12:10 PM
To: noblepantry@msn.com
Subject: mandatory vaccinations

[SIZE=3]John, I found the name of the chairperson on the committee for this vaccine legislation. I called his office and his secretary said that he is very interested in hearing from anyone in NYS about this issue and wants to know how we feel. The secretary said that most in the office are opposed and that I should encourage anyone in NYS to call him and let him know how we feel about this legislation. He is listening to us. His Name is Assemblyman Richard Gottfried and a his number is [212] 807- 7900. He is hearing mostly from people in his district and he wants to hear from everyone in NYS. Let people know to call his office. Jill Franz[/SIZE]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 10:54 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,608 times
The philosophical exemption bill gets defeated every year... never going to happen. Sorry. I think the first bill is a load of bull and a horrible idea, but there are too many states where the increasing use of vaccine exemptions means that diseases are getting widespread. I also lived in London for 4 years, where MMR rates dropped like a stone and there are hundreds of cases of measles every year.

I don't buy the parents' stories--I've seen too many where their memories changed over time. (NOT saying they're lying, they genuinely believe what they're saying.) Studies have consistently failed to demonstrate any links (not just "a doctor's word") and after MMR rates dropped in the UK, autism rates continued to go up. The epidemic is one of diagnosis, not occurrence.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer06 View Post
Many vaccines are already mandatory in order for children to enter school, day care, other places. The number of recommended vaccines is enormous. I forgot how many (perhaps someone can post) vaccines children would receive if they got EVERY vax recommended by the CDC on schedule, but I think it's absurd. So many live viruses at one time, in short intervals, at such young ages! They tell us not to give our children eggs until they are one, peanuts until they are three, but they are more than comfortable injecting four live viruses in a single injection. AND we have to sign that we understand the possible negative outcome, including in rare cases, death. I've gotten every required vax for my child - no more and no less. And I don't want to give him any more and certainly not on THEIR recommended schedule, which includes multiple vaccines at each visit at incredibly young ages.

FWIW, there are medical and religious exemptions in NY (but not philosophical, as in other states).
The only live virus vaccines in the routine immunization schedule are MMR and chickenpox. Both my kids got very sick with chickenpox, which they contracted just three years before the vaccine was licensed in the US. It had veen available for years in Japan and I kept hoping it would be licensed here before they got the disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
The philosophical exemption bill gets defeated every year... never going to happen. Sorry. I think the first bill is a load of bull and a horrible idea, but there are too many states where the increasing use of vaccine exemptions means that diseases are getting widespread. I also lived in London for 4 years, where MMR rates dropped like a stone and there are hundreds of cases of measles every year.

I don't buy the parents' stories--I've seen too many where their memories changed over time. (NOT saying they're lying, they genuinely believe what they're saying.) Studies have consistently failed to demonstrate any links (not just "a doctor's word") and after MMR rates dropped in the UK, autism rates continued to go up. The epidemic is one of diagnosis, not occurrence.
I agree with the above. I work in a pediatrician's office, and I can tell you, parents try to connect every problem their kids have with something, not just immunizations. "He ate a blade of grass; I think that's why he is limping", etc. People frequently bring kids in for "immunization reactions" that have nothing to do with the immunizations. Generally, if a child gets sick within a few days or even weeks of the immunizations, the parents think it was the immunizations. I have also never seen any of these immediate reactions that people "hear" about, in 35 years of giving immunizations. Interestingly, you rarely, if ever, hear first hand stories about this. It's always someone else's kid. The only immediate thing I have ever seen is kids fainting, usually from anxiety and not eating. That ususally happens in older kids (middle school and up) and is not an allergic reaction.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:24 AM

288 posts, read 1,191,654 times
From the Dallas Morning News (along with anecdotes):

HPV vaccine's suspected side effects cause concern | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Life/Travel: Health (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/fea/healthyliving2/stories/060608dnmetvaccine.31383ea.html?nl - broken link)

An invasive pincushion culture is being invented.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:24 AM

197 posts, read 511,720 times
Whether parents or the pharmaceutical industry and medical industries with significant financial biases are correct or not really isn't the point.

The point is giving away your rights about who gets to do what and decide what for your kid. Giving my perfectly healthy 12 year old a flu shot every year is ridiculous. I opted out of the Chicken Pox vaccine too. I lived through them as did all my siblings.

I wasn't aware that the world was experiencing new epidemics of old diseases due to parents opting out of needlin up their kids? Any one have any data or links to support that. Which ones exactly are gaining ground again?

Old 06-07-2008, 11:56 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Polio:
Polio Cases In West Africa May Thwart W.H.O. Plan - New York Times (http://tinyurl.com/5vlwfs - broken link)
A snippet from the URL above:

"Earlier setbacks forced the W.H.O. to revise to 2005 its original goal of eradicating polio by 2000.
Dr. Jong Wook Lee, the W.H.O.'s director general, has pledged to meet that goal with the aid of Unicef, Rotary International, the United States and other partners. Rotary has contributed about $500 million, Dr. Heymann said.
The W.H.O. says it does not now intend to change the date again and that it fears that many donors and polio-free countries where imported cases are occurring will abandon the goal of eradication."

There is a resurgence of polio among some Muslim nations. The people are being told that the Sabin vaccine is in actuality a USA attempt to sterilize their young women! Mind you, some of these people have crossed borders within the African continent and have spread polio where it was previously eradicated. Given air travel, the ease at which we can get about the globe, this is something to be very concerned about.

Infectious Diseases - Most Frequently Reported Diseases, Resistant Strains Of Bacteria, Prevention Through Immunization, Influenza, Tuberculosis

Snippet from this link:
"Throughout the world, however, new and rare diseases are emerging, and old diseases are resurfacing. Some of these infections reflect changes associated with increasing population, growing poverty, urban migration, drug-resistant microbes, and expanding international travel."

We have seen SARS develop in Asia and spread throughout the world via travel:
Infectious Diseases - Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome

I have no objection to my children receiving a flu vaccine.

"The 2003–04 flu season was one of the worst in recent memories, with a nationwide shortage of vaccine early in the season, a time when the virus was peaking, and children were dying from the illness (at least 142 individuals under eighteen years old)."

1918 might have been a long time ago, but the flu pandemic killed anywhere between 20-40 million people worldwide. We didn't have air travel like we have now, the planet wasn't anywhere near as populated, and yet up to 40 million people died. The flu should not be taken lightly.

There are many countries which do not have vaccination programs. Our foreign neighbors are visiting this country, bringing with them microbes for diseases which we thought were a thing of the past.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
I also lived in London for 4 years, where MMR rates dropped like a stone and there are hundreds of cases of measles every year.
In support of your statement UK, measle and mumps rates rose as parents opted out of vaccinating their little darlings.
UK 2003:
Measles and mumps on the rise as parents shun vaccine - Health News, Health & Wellbeing - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/health-news/measles-and-mumps-on-the-rise-as-parents-shun-vaccine-581360.html - broken link)
Then it crosses to Ireland
2005:
Call for action on mumps rise

Old 06-07-2008, 12:07 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Thumbs down No Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I'm all for mandatory vaccines.....although this does seem alittle too comprehensive.

How can you be all for mandatory vaccines? I as well as millions of others now have children (me a daughter) with Autism. The numbers now are every 1 in 150. The public in general believes it is due to certain shots given to kids early in life. My daughter was perfectly fine but just after her 1st birthday and after many innoculations we noticed her focus was now off. After testing we realized that she had autism. Maybe we should worry about proper recycling,cleanliness standards in society, cleaner fuels and sources of energy,etc... Mandatory vaccines are DEFINITELY not the answer!!!

Old 06-07-2008, 12:13 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer06 View Post
Many vaccines are already mandatory in order for children to enter school, day care, other places. The number of recommended vaccines is enormous. I forgot how many (perhaps someone can post) vaccines children would receive if they got EVERY vax recommended by the CDC on schedule, but I think it's absurd. So many live viruses at one time, in short intervals, at such young ages! They tell us not to give our children eggs until they are one, peanuts until they are three, but they are more than comfortable injecting four live viruses in a single injection. AND we have to sign that we understand the possible negative outcome, including in rare cases, death. I've gotten every required vax for my child - no more and no less. And I don't want to give him any more and certainly not on THEIR recommended schedule, which includes multiple vaccines at each visit at incredibly young ages.

FWIW, there are medical and religious exemptions in NY (but not philosophical, as in other states).
The problem is they mandate them TOO YOUNG. If they waited for the child to be a minimum 3 or 4 before starting this it would be beneficial to the child. You can't give babies that many shots including the 3 in 1 ,etc... and expect no negative outcome could occur. I explained in another post that due to this my child was diagnosed with autism after she turned 1 but it only showed then, and this was after certain shots pushed on us by the pediatricians.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliswell View Post
Whether parents or the pharmaceutical industry and medical industries with significant financial biases are correct or not really isn't the point.

The point is giving away your rights about who gets to do what and decide what for your kid. Giving my perfectly healthy 12 year old a flu shot every year is ridiculous. I opted out of the Chicken Pox vaccine too. I lived through them as did all my siblings.
The pharmaceutical industry drives the number of drugs which are pushed through the approval process. Representatives from the State of Texas got on board immediately with (I believe Merck) to make it mandatory that all girls under a certain age be vaccinated with the HPV vaccine.

This financial bias undermines parental rights -- no argument with your point -- and that is what really irks me.

However, there is protection to be had by having many children immunized against diseases like diptheria, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, Haemophilus influenzae type b, pertussis, Hep A & B, and tuberculosis.

As for varicella and HPV vaccines, I feel that those should be a parent's right to choose.

My school district recently had a student diagnosed with Pertussis - Whooping cough. If it weren't for herd immunity (large numbers of people having been vaccinated) this could have spread through the schools like wildfire.

"Contagiousness

Pertussis is highly contagious. The bacteria spread from person to person through tiny drops of fluid from an infected person's nose or mouth. These may become airborne when the person sneezes, coughs, or laughs. Other people then can become infected by inhaling the drops or getting the drops on their hands and then touching their mouths or noses. Infected people are most contagious during the earliest stages of the illness up to about 2 weeks after the cough begins. Antibiotics shorten the period of contagiousness to 5 days following the start of antibiotic treatment."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: