Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2007, 03:13 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,555 times

Advertisements

Sometimes having a realtor is great. A lot of it is pure luck. I sold my house in Queens after placing 4 ads in a local paper. Basically got asking price. The price is got was about 70K more than what 3 other realtors said I could get. I know RE pretty well, but I suppose for people less well versed, a realtor could be an asset.

It really all depends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 11:14 AM

18 posts, read 96,137 times
Default Central Islip is affordable

Central Islip has a large stock of "affordable homes". More are currently being added.

The town is located between the Vets Highway, LIE and SS Parkway. It is on the main line of the LIRR (1hr 10m to Penn Station). The town is bordered tot he east by Connetquot State Park.

It is 10 minutes to McArthur Airport, 10 minutes to Robert Moses beach, 10 minutes to South Shore Mall, 20 minutes to Smith Haven Mall, 20 minutes to Walt Whitman Mall. Central Islip has it's own Target, Walmart and Home Depot. There are several large supermarkets.

Taxes are low relative to the rest of Long Island.

There is a public golf course bordering NYIT campus.

The town has two colleges (NYIT & Touro). It is the home of the LI Ducks (baseball). Also home to the Federal and County Court Complexes.

Large areas of the town have been built during the last 15 years. Three new developments are currently being built.

There is a large stock of homes in the $250k to $400k range. Try Park Row and College Woods also the Islandia area (same school district).

Islip Township has focused heavily on planned development in this town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
Hi All!

Are there any reasonably-priced starter houses in safe neighborhoods of Suffolk County left??

Really, the housing is insane!!!

NYSinger

Old 03-23-2007, 07:48 PM

8 posts, read 40,410 times
glen is right on target.the commute is crazy 4 to 5 hrs a day.from deer park to manhatten.im thinking of moving upstate.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:59 PM

8 posts, read 40,410 times
Glen is right on target.The commute is crazy 4 to 5 hrs a day.From east islipto manhatten.Im thinking of moving upstate.ny singer you think manorville is a possibilty.Its nice i grew up there when it was all farmland south manor school.They didnt even have a high school you had to go to eastport.Thats when it was nice.manorville now 3hr commute to the city rmember you have to drive to ronkonkama train station because the smaller stations out east dont have trains running all hrs. Then theres traffic every where new homes start at $500,000 property taxes $10,000 a year expected to go up good luck.Dont get me wrong I dont hate LI I just think its getting to exspensive to live here and to crowded.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:42 PM

330 posts, read 1,977,175 times
Default Crime in Central Islip?

I heard the same thing that there are a bunch of homes in Central Islip for a fair price, but isnt the crime a bit high in most of Central Islip? Gangs? I could be wrong, but thats how i remember it being going back to when i used to live on the Island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by very private citizen View Post
Central Islip has a large stock of "affordable homes". More are currently being added.

The town is located between the Vets Highway, LIE and SS Parkway. It is on the main line of the LIRR (1hr 10m to Penn Station). The town is bordered tot he east by Connetquot State Park.

It is 10 minutes to McArthur Airport, 10 minutes to Robert Moses beach, 10 minutes to South Shore Mall, 20 minutes to Smith Haven Mall, 20 minutes to Walt Whitman Mall. Central Islip has it's own Target, Walmart and Home Depot. There are several large supermarkets.

Taxes are low relative to the rest of Long Island.

There is a public golf course bordering NYIT campus.

The town has two colleges (NYIT & Touro). It is the home of the LI Ducks (baseball). Also home to the Federal and County Court Complexes.

Large areas of the town have been built during the last 15 years. Three new developments are currently being built.

There is a large stock of homes in the $250k to $400k range. Try Park Row and College Woods also the Islandia area (same school district).

Islip Township has focused heavily on planned development in this town.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:06 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,064,648 times
Thanks to all who responded, and I hope this thread helped others!!

We are no longer thinking about buying a starter house here. We will eventually leave Long Island.

NYSinger

Old 03-24-2007, 09:04 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
Thanks to all who responded, and I hope this thread helped others!!

We are no longer thinking about buying a starter house here. We will eventually leave Long Island.

NYSinger
Peace out, yo. Good luck with the move.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:11 PM

79 posts, read 192,729 times
if you can wait a bit longer... do it... prices will fall again.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:58 AM

330 posts, read 1,977,175 times
Default Where did the homes drop?

I havent lived on LI in over 10 years, but from what i heard is that the majority of homes have not dropped. Did i hear wrong? You wrote " prices will fall again" but when did they drop? By how much on average and what towns do you mean?

From talking to my family in Huntington they said the taxes, Utilities and home prices are only getting more out of control.

The main problem though is the taxes, yes some people may drop the price of the house, yet the Property taxes are out of control. And when will they cap off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcha View Post
if you can wait a bit longer... do it... prices will fall again.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:07 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,064,648 times
Thanks, GCGuy!

Even if the prices fall a little, it won't be enough to compete with the high cost of living here. It's not a good place to start a family!

NYSinger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island