Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 01:07 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,280 times

Advertisements

No.

Perhaps it is the vain hope that the people around here might be inspired to a) obey the law, and b) make a noise so that the police will enforce the law.

You people chose to live here. Your children didn't. They're the ones I see whose lives are endangered when they ride their bikes and cross the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 02:56 PM

15 posts, read 103,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
No.

Perhaps it is the vain hope that the people around here might be inspired to a) obey the law, and b) make a noise so that the police will enforce the law.

You people chose to live here. Your children didn't. They're the ones I see whose lives are endangered when they ride their bikes and cross the street.
Do you live on the Island? If you do, please do us a favor and move to NC where you'll be harassed by rednecks

Old 02-02-2007, 07:13 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydin View Post
Do you live on the Island? If you do, please do us a favor and move to NC where you'll be harassed by rednecks

C'mon.
We recently moved to NC and there are tons of distracted drivers. Plus there are quite a few pedestrian deaths, especially by schools.
It is a problem wherever people talk, eat, tune the radio, fix their hair, read a map... while driving.
Yes, you can get away with it most of the time, but in a crowded area, your luck is bound to run out.
There has also been a rash of drunk driving deaths, particularly affecting the high schoolers.

Everyone is asking, "Why?"

This is not a Long Island problem.

It is a suburban problem.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
C'mon.
We recently moved to NC and there are tons of distracted drivers. Plus there are quite a few pedestrian deaths, especially by schools.
It is a problem wherever people talk, eat, tune the radio, fix their hair, read a map... while driving.
Yes, you can get away with it most of the time, but in a crowded area, your luck is bound to run out.
There has also been a rash of drunk driving deaths, particularly affecting the high schoolers.

Everyone is asking, "Why?"

This is not a Long Island problem.

It is a suburban problem.
I have to admit you're right, though I'm tempted to say "It must be because of all the Long Islanders that moved there...."

Heh, heh.

Seriously, I'm beginning to think that the Federal government should take some kind of action, when the rate of these deaths exceeds a certain level. They were able to strong arm the states into the 55 mph speed limit, why not this?

So...they send Federal law enforcement into places where lots of people are getting injured/killed by cars...or, they withhold Federal highway funds until the local yokels take measures to put a stop to the carnage.

Last edited by Dedalus; 02-03-2007 at 01:49 PM..

Old 02-03-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
What amazes me...poor driving and these tendecies only happen on Long Island. It's bizarre. I mean, I cross the border into Queens and it all goes away.

Listen, you have the right to look foolish, but it amazes me that someone with such hatred for LI continually spends time knocking it. Perhaps you should be lauding the other areas you have lived in, or surmising ways to leave this dreadful island instead.

I just don't know what you're doing on these boards. There's nothing constructive or helpful in your posts. Do you really think your obviously slanted views would lead masses of LIers to leave the island move elsewhere?
Ah, here's something constructive.

When I do get back to the city, I'll spread the word that there's a place with lots of rich morons who are so busy yakking on their cellphones that they are completely unaware of their surroundings.

Heh, heh. Opportunity knocks.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:41 PM

Two more things:

1) Alameda, CA

The police mounted a "sting" operation. They had a "pedestrian" who was actually a cop try to cross the street. When a moron pretended not to see them, they got a big fat TICKET.

2) Great Barrington, MA

The people there really do stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk. That is because the police ENFORCE the LAW.

In the city, there may not be the resources to enforce laws that are on the books. Here, there are.

Civilized people value human life. Especially the lives of children.

Last edited by Dedalus; 02-03-2007 at 01:52 PM..

Old 02-05-2007, 09:47 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
I have to admit you're right, though I'm tempted to say "It must be because of all the Long Islanders that moved there...."

Heh, heh.

Sorry! It was southerners involved!!!!!!
Kids will be kids, as long as no one reigns them in!

Old 02-12-2007, 06:21 PM

7 posts, read 22,942 times
Well I've decided not to accept the position, mainly due to the quality of offers elsewhere, but also due to some of the conversations on this board.
Having said that, I would like to specifically address Dedalus. I had lurked a little before making my initial post, from my browsing I knew that eventually you would be making a post. I guessed, quite correctly I might add, that the your comments would be the least useful, and furthermore most aggravating to read. Your pessimism is truly profound, and your comments are neither informative nor appreciated. I would like to point out that every city and even some small towns have crime, and drivers that don’t pay attention, and drunk drivers, that every town has cliques, and groups that just don’t accept others. Every town has its expensive places to live. A great friend of mine once said, "A place is what you make of it." If you truly can’t stand where you live, please move, or make something better of it. I find it hard to believe that your every living moment in long island is pure agony, there must be some joy in there somewhere. Embrace that joy, and please think of it before you post. When a person comes on the boards asking for information, they don’t want raw emotion, they want what they asked for. I realize that I have been incredibly rude, and for that I apologize. But I must point out that I, as well as a number of others feel that you have been incredibly rude as well. I don’t wish for this thread to become a flame war, that’s why I chose now to post this comment, as I won’t be checking back here any longer. I would ask others to not allow this to become a flame war as well. Someone else might come here actually looking for information.

Thank you all for you help. Again I am sorry for what this turned into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island