Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 07:00 PM

22 posts, read 151,462 times

Advertisements

I know. Drive there and see. Ha ha.

Just wondering how it is and what there is to do, places to eat, not really restaurants but everyday food that I could pick up for breakfast/lunch and dinner. Are there cafes and deli's and such along those lines? The very few pics I've seen I can't tell.

And versus Huntington and it's Main Street, what seems like a better place to rent? I will be taking a look this week when I'm off from work.

Commuting into Penn, it's seems Huntington is 1:10 or so and living in OB and getting the Hicksville train is like 50 mins, which of course is good. Not a HUGE difference but it all adds up I guess. I just like em both because they seem like a nice change from Brooklyn.

It seems that a bunch of rentals in OB are above storefronts, is this accurate? I'm guessing it's a world of difference renting above a storefront there vs. in Brooklyn and the crap that can be here.

But then Huntington has been recommended so much, both here and by people I know.

Also, I'll be grabbing the LIRR off peak somewhere btw 11am and 1pm when working so I like that I'll be saving money off peak, but will I have a problem parking in the lot at Hicksville 1. that I hear was shut because of the structural integrity and 2. will everything be full by the time I get there to park at 11am -1pm or so?

Also, where would I need to apply for a parking permit if I live in OB and take the Hicksville train and park there?

Lots of question eh?

Not sure about Huntington LIRR parking and the rules there.

I've searched a lot around here and haven't seen all the answers. Thanks.

Looking forward to hearing from Walter and his maps. I've given him some good ammo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 07:35 PM

70 posts, read 272,441 times
Your questions are not overwhelming at all. This is my take on it. If you are renting is it safe to assume that your single? That there is no school district issues. Huntington does not have good rated schools, OB is ok but Syosset is better. So that being said there are parts of OB that feed into Syosset.
Ok THE TRAIN ISSUE. If you live in OB you could take the Huntington line and leave out of Syosset. Have you looked into that? Syosset is the stop before Hicksville and you would be closer to home once off the train. IF you decide to live in Huntington I think you would be better off going out of the Cold Spring Harbor station? Our friends who live in Huntington do this. Im not sure about the whole parking permit thing to park. But I can asure you that there must be something in place, after all this is NY....................
IF I were single my first pick would be Huntington and I would travel out of Cold Spring Harbor station. OB is nice but its no Huntington. And honestly they are so close to each other you can live in one and visit the other.
Good Luck
PS I agree Walter & his maps are a little over the top!

Old 07-06-2008, 07:53 PM

22 posts, read 151,462 times
Yes, I'm currently single. I know they are close but it still makes a difference where I actually lay my head at night. Good thing about the proximity is that I can drive around both in the afternoon, the same day and see how I feel.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:09 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Canterbuty Ales.........great place!

Oyster Fest in October.....

Old 07-07-2008, 07:19 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Residents of the Hamlet of Oyster Bay get on the LIRR at the Oyster Bay station (and, for those who live in an apartment in the downtown commercial district, that's just a short hop, skip and a jump to the station):

http://www.mta.info/lirr/images/lirr.gif (broken link)

Old 07-07-2008, 08:39 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Oyster Bay

For those who may not be familiar with Oyster Bay:

Oyster Bay is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the north most part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the northeast part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Oyster Bay in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by Oyster Bay Harbor; on the east by the Village of Oyster Bay Cove; on the south by the Hamlet of East Norwich; and, on the west by the Village of Upper Brookville and the Village of Mill Neck.

Oyster Bay is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where most of the places that have the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the hamlet: places that have an "Oyster Bay, NY 11771" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Oyster Bay are in the Village of Centre Island, the Village of Cove Neck, the Village of Oyster Bay Cove, the Village of Laurel Hollow, the Hamlet of East Norwich, the Village of Muttontown, the Village of Upper Brookville and the Village of Mill Neck.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 07-07-2008, 08:51 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Canterbuty Ales.........great place!

Oyster Fest in October.....
The Oyster Fest is awesome...

I think if you're interested in a "hip" downtown with a lot going on, places to go out, etc., you can't beat Huntington. Great downtown with all types of shops, restaurants, etc. There's the park and museum, the art-house cinema, waterfront, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island