Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 07:37 PM

431 posts, read 1,310,762 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I am buying my first home and there are 3 big problems that need to be taken care of before I move in.

The first is the cess pool. There are 2 sink holes in the ground above it. I assume it's no good and we made an agreement for me and the Seller and a cess pool guy to get together on Tuesday to look at it. My real estate agent said he would take care of it. I don't know why my lawyer wasn't informed by his lawyer, but I left my lawyer a message today as soon as I found out.

Basically everything I'm gonna post here my lawyer knows nothing about. He knows about the problems but he was waiting on his lawyer to call about a resolution.

The next issue is the electric. Water leaked into the power box and again my real estate agent said the seller would take care of this. It is currently 150 amp but I would like it upgraded. I am willing to pay the difference if it isn't too much. Does anyone know what the price diff is between a 150 and a 200 or a 400?

Finally the last issue is that they have an underground oil tank. The seller said he would go half on getting it taken out of the ground and put next to the house or in basement. I would rather have it taken out and have natural gas added instead. The house is on a corner if that makes any difference. Does anyone know the price for removal and being placed somewhere else and would it cost that much more to have it removed and add nat gas instead?

Any feedback on these issues and any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 10:06 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
The oil tank:

If the buried tank is leaking the owner is responsible for any problems that may stem from it. By going half, you would want to ask your attorney if you would be accepting half the liability if the tank is leaking. A woman a couple of blocks from my home had a leaky buried tank. The oil contaminated so much soil that the remediation cost her $100K when all was competed.

Electric upgrade:

Whatever you decide upon, make sure that they provide you with an Underwriters Certificate for that job.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The oil tank:

If the buried tank is leaking the owner is responsible for any problems that may stem from it. By going half, you would want to ask your attorney if you would be accepting half the liability if the tank is leaking. A woman a couple of blocks from my home had a leaky buried tank. The oil contaminated so much soil that the remediation cost her $100K when all was competed.

Electric upgrade:

Whatever you decide upon, make sure that they provide you with an Underwriters Certificate for that job.
Wow, great point. I'll need to make sure that I'm not going half on any kind of contamination cleanup. Thanks!

Old 07-12-2008, 11:07 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
I'd say the cesspool is the least expensive of your problems - you'll have to wait and see what a cesspool guy says - the trouble with that industry is that it's not all that well regulated, and IMHO what one cesspool guy will say will be contradicted by another. It's very easy to be taken by them.

As far as putting in gas for heat, make sure there is actually a gas line that can be routed to the house. Some areas don't have any - in which case there would be no way for you to bring gas in.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
I'd say the cesspool is the least expensive of your problems - you'll have to wait and see what a cesspool guy says - the trouble with that industry is that it's not all that well regulated, and IMHO what one cesspool guy will say will be contradicted by another. It's very easy to be taken by them.

As far as putting in gas for heat, make sure there is actually a gas line that can be routed to the house. Some areas don't have any - in which case there would be no way for you to bring gas in.

There is gas in this area. I currently live a few blocks from there. Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:41 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyagerMan View Post
Hello everyone,
I am buying my first home and there are 3 big problems that need to be taken care of before I move in.

The first is the cess pool. There are 2 sink holes in the ground above it. I assume it's no good and we made an agreement for me and the Seller and a cess pool guy to get together on Tuesday to look at it. My real estate agent said he would take care of it. I don't know why my lawyer wasn't informed by his lawyer, but I left my lawyer a message today as soon as I found out.

Make sure you are there on Tuesday, depressions are not a good thing! It needs to be determined if you have a block or cast conrete pools. most likely is block and need to be replaced. Make sure you get a min. 2 rings and a dome with an overflow.

Basically everything I'm gonna post here my lawyer knows nothing about. He knows about the problems but he was waiting on his lawyer to call about a resolution.

The next issue is the electric. Water leaked into the power box and again my real estate agent said the seller would take care of this. It is currently 150 amp but I would like it upgraded. I am willing to pay the difference if it isn't too much. Does anyone know what the price diff is between a 150 and a 200 or a 400?

If there was corrosion in the panel should be replaced. Very difficult to clean up corrision in a box. 150 amps should be fine but going to 200 won't hurt. 400 amps...urr....no. Not for residential. Cost would depends of the would have to replace the main service cable. If they don't the cost would be $150 more, if they do $850-950.

to the house or in basement. I would rather have it taken out and have natural gas added instead. The house is on a corner if that makes any difference. Does anyone know the price for removal and being placed somewhere else and would it cost that much more to have it removed and add nat gas instead?

They do not remove, they abandon it and fill it with foam or sand. Have them do the tank and switch to gas. $1500-$2000 to remove the tank and install a new one.

With gas you will need a new boiler, $5000-7000 depending on alot of issues. Gas to the house should be free.

Any feedback on these issues and any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
See my notes.....

Old 07-15-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
See my notes.....
Thanks KB...

We were supposed to look at the cesspool today but apparently the cesspool guy cancelled. So the seller will let us know when he can reschedule. He is also trying to schedule an electrician at the same time. We will also discuss the issue with the oil tank.

The interesting thing is that my lawyer told me to talk to the seller and his lawyer about these issues. I find that pretty intersting. Isn't that the job of my lawyer? I think it may be time to find a new one. If I do, how do I go about paying him? He's basically made some phone calls and that is pretty much the extent of it. He also told me that after I buy the house, any leaking that happened from the tank before I bought the house is my responsibility. Is this true?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:52 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyagerMan View Post
Thanks KB...

We were supposed to look at the cesspool today but apparently the cesspool guy cancelled. So the seller will let us know when he can reschedule. He is also trying to schedule an electrician at the same time. We will also discuss the issue with the oil tank.

The interesting thing is that my lawyer told me to talk to the seller and his lawyer about these issues. I find that pretty intersting. Isn't that the job of my lawyer? I think it may be time to find a new one. If I do, how do I go about paying him? He's basically made some phone calls and that is pretty much the extent of it. He also told me that after I buy the house, any leaking that happened from the tank before I bought the house is my responsibility. Is this true?
Yeah, Lawyers always complain that they don't make nuch at RE closings. IMO they should do something in the negotiation process. Shoot me a message & I will give you some names if you like.

I would not pay him anything. Just say you do not need his services right now.

He is correct, you inherit the leak and all the issues that come with it. Thats why its nice to get it done prior to closing. What county?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Yeah, Lawyers always complain that they don't make nuch at RE closings. IMO they should do something in the negotiation process. Shoot me a message & I will give you some names if you like.

I would not pay him anything. Just say you do not need his services right now.

He is correct, you inherit the leak and all the issues that come with it. Thats why its nice to get it done prior to closing. What county?
The real estate agent put me in contact with someone she trusts. She is a buyers broker btw.

The original lawyer knows the sellers lawyer. He said he has dealt with him before and that he is a really nice guy. This coming from another lawyer, lol. I called the new lawyer and left a message, he has not gotten back to me yet. The old lawyer was referred to me by my brother in law. The lawyer is good friends with my bro is laws good friend. So it's gonna be kinda weird telling him I don't need him anymore but I gotta do what I gotta do I guess.

From what the buyers broker told me, the seller will put money in escrow for the cess pool to be fixed or replaced and half of what it would cost to abandon the oil tank. He also wanted to put money in escrow to fix the electric, but I can't get a mortgage with the electric the way it is, so we gotta work it out so it's fixed before I move in.

This is not a fun proccess at all.

Oh the house is in Suffolk.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:13 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Just make sure you use a licensed electrician. When the job is done, they'll call the Town inspector to sign off on the job; this way you won't have to get involved in that and you'll know the job is done right. Doesn't pay to mess with electric...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island