Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you Support and Intermodal transportation Center For Brookhaven
Yes 17 58.62%
No 7 24.14%
We dont need one. I like the Traffic and $4 a gallon for gas. 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:21 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If you leave the NS & SS lines for local, you still have the 2 hour NYC - PJ run which you initially dubbed "a crime".

So if you invest millions of the taxpayers dollars, yet still leave the NS & SS residents with no option but local, you are the one committing a crime by fraudulently representing your plan as a time saver rather than a tax waster.

If you're going to do anything, let's play the game of Eminent Domain. After all, the NIMBYs are obstructing that which is for the public good.
The Crime is the the 2hr Port Jeff line of dysfunction.

The Realty is that most drive to Ronkonkoma.
(Just check the bottleneck from Nicolls to 59)

The Solution is one Intermodal stop per Township on the central Line.
(Riverhead/Yaphank/Ronkonkoma/Deer Park/Hicksville/NYC)

90 min from Riverhead can and should be a reality.
(70 Miles in 90 Min doesnt seem too much to ask)

As for the taxpayer dollars...

Doesnt it hurt to sit down after seeing what the MTA wasted in Mineola on our Fed dime?

Bastards.

croohavenwatch.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
why no rprprp?

Why "No" nancythereader , rprprprp, SamTheCatRocks, Transpl ?

Care to explain why folks?

Old 08-12-2008, 06:02 AM

153 posts, read 380,730 times
My no vote is simple. I would not vote yes on compromising the express service from existing lines to improve the service of a central line. Extending the commute for some to shorten the commute for others will not fly. I would have to move, selling my house at a loss because it would no longer be in a good commuter village. Then I would need to buy somewhere else where property values shot up due to it's new found convenience to the city.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transpl View Post
My no vote is simple. I would not vote yes on compromising the express service from existing lines to improve the service of a central line. Extending the commute for some to shorten the commute for others will not fly. I would have to move, selling my house at a loss because it would no longer be in a good commuter village. Then I would need to buy somewhere else where property values shot up due to it's new found convenience to the city.
I think youd be hard pressed to find anyone on Long Island greater than 15-20 mins from one of these Township Intermodal Stations
(Riverhead/Yaphank/Ronkonkoma/Deer Park/Hicksville-NYC)

What youre missing is the fact that express service would be expanded and not compromised since most service would be express.
Your commute could actaully be shorter. Theres no reason for you to move.

The reality is that our population has shifted eastward and the LIRR has not changed with the times.

Boutique LIRR service for select towns is no longer an option if we are to thrive in the new economy.

Again, the rationale behind the intermodal isnt just to get LIers to the city.We can atrratct significant Corpoarte interest and rateables if we had a valid means to get City workers to commute to LI.
(Deer Parks intermodal could tie in to the 110 corridor and surrounds for example)

We got to think big picture and not just whats in it for us.

crookhavenwatch.blogspot.com

Old 08-12-2008, 10:18 AM

153 posts, read 380,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookhavenWatch View Post
I think youd be hard pressed to find anyone on Long Island greater than 15-20 mins from one of these Township Intermodal Stations
(Riverhead/Yaphank/Ronkonkoma/Deer Park/Hicksville-NYC)

What youre missing is the fact that express service would be expanded and not compromised since most service would be express.
Your commute could actaully be shorter. Theres no reason for you to move.

crookhavenwatch.blogspot.com
Good to know this would help me as well. This morning I was seated on a 51 minute non-stop express train to Penn less than 10 minutes after I walked out my front door. Exactly how would fighting the traffic and parking at a hub make my commute shorter?

Let me attempt to duck a NIMBY or FUIGM label. I am all for expanding infrastructure east. It should be a prioriy as the population continues to grow and commutes get longer. Just not at the expense of others. Property values for those who paid a premium for tiny houses on postage stamp lots to be close to a "boutique LIRR line" would be devastated. Just as redistricting schools would devastate many homeowners. What would happen to someone who just bought a house in Deer Park or Wheatley Heights with HHH schools if HHH was taken away?

As for the "We got to think of the big picture instead of what's just in it for us" pitch, I don't buy it. Would you be mounting this crusade if you lived in Mineola....

Old 08-12-2008, 04:30 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times

I just did not know what rprprp means.

I know that it's probably very simple. but I wasn't able to catch it.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-14-2008, 06:22 AM

Default I Heart NIMBY FUIGMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transpl View Post
Good to know this would help me as well. This morning I was seated on a 51 minute non-stop express train to Penn less than 10 minutes after I walked out my front door. Exactly how would fighting the traffic and parking at a hub make my commute shorter?

Let me attempt to duck a NIMBY or FUIGM label. I am all for expanding infrastructure east. It should be a prioriy as the population continues to grow and commutes get longer. Just not at the expense of others. Property values for those who paid a premium for tiny houses on postage stamp lots to be close to a "boutique LIRR line" would be devastated. Just as redistricting schools would devastate many homeowners. What would happen to someone who just bought a house in Deer Park or Wheatley Heights with HHH schools if HHH was taken away?

As for the "We got to think of the big picture instead of what's just in it for us" pitch, I don't buy it. Would you be mounting this crusade if you lived in Mineola....
Sorry pal, it doesn get any more F U I Got My train than that.

Sorry to hear about your postage stamp. Maybe with improved LIRR Service we could entice you out east.

The reality is that as of the the 2000 Census
Nassau had 1,334,544 residents, Suffolk had 1,419,369.
Im sure the Suffolk # is up exponentally post 9/11.

Does it make sense that 65% of the LIRR service serve 45% of the people?

I think not.

Now...if I lived in Mineola I would:

1) Argue against having the Intermodal there due to its inaccessibilty and lack of necessity.

2)Support the Third line.

3) Walk to Queens and take the subway

Crookhaven

Old 08-14-2008, 01:40 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
OK I'm behind the Brookhaven intermodal, but you lost me on that last post. Maybe we in Nassau should be upset with the MTA for not extending A train service out here? Come on...walk to the subway haha.

Welcome back clamboy, where have you been?

Old 08-14-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
OK I'm behind the Brookhaven intermodal, but you lost me on that last post. Maybe we in Nassau should be upset with the MTA for not extending A train service out here? Come on...walk to the subway haha.

Welcome back clamboy, where have you been?
Im Joking with ya...

It just seems dumb as F to put an intermodal between Hicksville and Jamaica.

Its probably for the A$$hats at the County Seat in Mineola to delude themselves into thinking they are part of the mass transit solution.

crookhaven

Last edited by Crookhaven; 08-14-2008 at 02:15 PM..

Old 08-15-2008, 09:46 AM

177 posts, read 893,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Why "No" nancythereader , rprprprp, SamTheCatRocks, Transpl ?

Crookhaven,

Why the need to call people out on their votes publicly? Just curious....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island