Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2007, 06:28 AM

823 posts, read 3,923,667 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/26/ny...ref=realestate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 08:32 AM

265 posts, read 1,548,697 times
The relevant part of that article is the definition of "affordable". The writer begins by defining affordable as a figure no more than 2.5% of the homeowner's income. Then several paragraphs later the writer admits that

"The 2.5-times-income formula for home prices is often ignored across the New York metropolitan area, where many residents spend disproportionately for shelter and shortchange other parts of their budget compared with other parts of the country."

So what this article is doing is applying an affordability standard to Long Island that historically is not relevant to this particular area.

I'm not denying that homes have become less affordable on LI than they used to be (but I blame that more on school taxes than on home prices); I just get really irked when writers use an inappropriate statistic as the basis for a "Chicken Little"-style article.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:06 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,230 times
I alway thought the standard was 3 times your income, but I think you're missing the whole point of the article. Even by that 2.5 standard a lot of people were able to purchase a house a little bit under a decade ago. The same can not be said of the situation today.

Take a look at this graph: http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/.../longlarge.jpg

I think the figure of 60% of houses in the year 2000 selling for $250,000 or less going down to 2% today is quite insane. It just shows how crazy the housing bubble has gotten. And it seems like it still has quite a long way to deflate: http://graphics10.nytimes.com/images...aph2.large.gif
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: