Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:39 AM
#22 #22 started this thread

20 posts, read 109,930 times

Advertisements

I'll be the first to admit we pay way too much in property (school) taxes on Long Island, but this is another impressive showing by Long Island's schools.

Six of the nation's 40 finalists are from Long Island. Only one from NYC's public school system. Total of 12 from the state of NY.

Of course the school board extortionists will use this to try to raise taxes even more but, compared to other places, at least the results are good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 05:49 PM

116 posts, read 366,156 times
Amen! That is why I'm raising my kids here!
It is expensive, really expensive, but better than the alternative.

Trip

Old 02-01-2007, 04:17 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
Amen! That is why I'm raising my kids here!
It is expensive, really expensive, but better than the alternative.

Trip
I agree. You get what you pay for in real estate. It's perhaps the only product like that.

It's like the old saying...nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:01 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,445 times
6 in 40 not a good enough reason. To qualify your comments, 12 out of the 40 finalists for the Intel Science Talent Search competition are from NY. 1 is from the Rochester area and the rest are from NYC and Long Island. That is a tremendous accomplishment for those students, but is is not necessarily a reflection on school districts. Understand that that competition has been culturally a big item in Long Island Schools for years. Being competitive is easier when you have massive populations like Long Island does. The down state area also has NY most violent criminals, the richest people, poorest people, fattest people, skinniest people. The point is when you have a pool of 12-14 million people you are likely to have the most extreme of any category over other areas. That's why school districts with high populations almost always have the best sports teams, they have a larger pool of athletes to pick from.
So when you sit in bumper to bumper traffic on your 15 minute, 2 mile ride to the train station. And when you stand squeezed face to face with thousands of other on the LIRR to NY. When you fight your way on to the subway and stand so packed that your not sure what the guy pressed against you is doing. And when you get in to the building elevator and can't inhale until your floor is there. And when you wait two hour for a seat in a restaurant. Feel good knowing that somebody's kid is going to make it to one of the 6 in 40 finalists. I can't believe I spent half my life living like that, it is kind of sad.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:17 AM

116 posts, read 366,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen NY View Post
6 in 40 not a good enough reason. To qualify your comments, 12 out of the 40 finalists for the Intel Science Talent Search competition are from NY. 1 is from the Rochester area and the rest are from NYC and Long Island. That is a tremendous accomplishment for those students, but is is not necessarily a reflection on school districts. Understand that that competition has been culturally a big item in Long Island Schools for years. Being competitive is easier when you have massive populations like Long Island does. The down state area also has NY most violent criminals, the richest people, poorest people, fattest people, skinniest people. The point is when you have a pool of 12-14 million people you are likely to have the most extreme of any category over other areas. That's why school districts with high populations almost always have the best sports teams, they have a larger pool of athletes to pick from.
So when you sit in bumper to bumper traffic on your 15 minute, 2 mile ride to the train station. And when you stand squeezed face to face with thousands of other on the LIRR to NY. When you fight your way on to the subway and stand so packed that your not sure what the guy pressed against you is doing. And when you get in to the building elevator and can't inhale until your floor is there. And when you wait two hour for a seat in a restaurant. Feel good knowing that somebody's kid is going to make it to one of the 6 in 40 finalists. I can't believe I spent half my life living like that, it is kind of sad.
That's one way to look at it, I guess...
Trip

Old 02-02-2007, 07:03 AM

111 posts, read 412,975 times
If you think this is an indicator of a good school district then there has to be a pattern to the amount of instances that these students are participating in this Intel Science Research contest.
My question is: Is Cold Spring Harbor or other school district in Suffolk justify the high taxes?

Old 02-02-2007, 12:09 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen NY View Post
Um, yeah, you betcha.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:22 PM
#22 #22 started this thread

20 posts, read 109,930 times
Default what???

No idea who or what this Glen guy is or what he's talking about. And I did point out 12 of 40 are from NY State.

I'm not claiming this result in and of itself indicates Long Island's schools are doing a spectacular job, but it sure is a good piece of evidence. And like I also pointed out, I don't think this means the school boards have carte blanche when it comes to budget time either.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:25 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
The winners consistently come from a handful of districts with schools with a phenomenal commitment to science education.
People, this is not your average science fair!!
These kids are working at the college level, or above. They work with scientists from local labs. They work for years.
The confluence of educated parents, deveoted teachers, & access to world class labs produces this success.
(Of course this success may not mean much to you if you are in Wyandanch or Roosevelt!)

Old 02-02-2007, 08:12 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,445 times
Woe easy, 22 didn't mean any offense and definetly nothing directed at you. I just think Long Islanders believe that they have something very special there in the schools and I agree to a point but there are some very good districts in other parts of the state where the sacrafice is not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island