Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 06:34 AM

231 posts, read 960,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
Sorry to disagree but-I never thought I would leave the Island after 48 years, but 4 years ago my husband was transferred to Va just outside of Richmond. Lower taxes,car insurance,housing cheaper. Ok Va Beach 2 1/2 hours away,outer banks 3 hours but no snow. I never thought I would say this but I would never move back to the Island. I do miss my family but the plane ride is less than 1 hour-driving is another issue though I always thought that the Island was nirvana the smell of salt air but for my husband who worked in NYC the commute was 2 1/2 hours 1 way in Va 10 minutes. I know we didn't have to live out there (Manorville) but we loved country living and the beaches.

Unfortunately we are now being relocated again-St Louis
DKVA
St. Louis is a wonderful town - don't worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 07:16 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
My dad is done with Fl after 10 years, but he can't afford to move back here..well, he can, but he'd seriously downgrade his lifestyle. He'd have to move from a 2500 sq foot house to a condo or something.

Crime, storms, unbearably hot from June until October.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 AM

65 posts, read 356,170 times
Default Moving back to LI in 9 days

We moved to Houston, TX area in January 2008 from LI and regretted it within a month. I have also lived in Florida, All over the country actually but the last 4 years on Long Island before our move to Texas and as far as we are concerned Long Island is by far the best place to live. It may not be the cheapest but I have learned there is a reason a lot of other places are cheaper, and it's because for the most part, they stink. That's really the only way to get people to move and/or stay there. Almost all of my inlaws live in Florida and are either trying to get out or are to old now to go anywhere. It's basically an armpit. Lived there twice in my life and will never live there again. As a matter of fact, I would never live in the south again. The people are way to backwards and bigoted. No thank you. Give me my Northeast.

I've come to realize any place worth living is expensive. That's just the way it is. I can't wait for September 6th to roll around and we are residents of Long Island again.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffisok View Post
We moved to Houston, TX area in January 2008 from LI and regretted it within a month. I have also lived in Florida, All over the country actually but the last 4 years on Long Island before our move to Texas and as far as we are concerned Long Island is by far the best place to live. It may not be the cheapest but I have learned there is a reason a lot of other places are cheaper, and it's because for the most part, they stink. That's really the only way to get people to move and/or stay there. Almost all of my inlaws live in Florida and are either trying to get out or are to old now to go anywhere. It's basically an armpit. Lived there twice in my life and will never live there again. As a matter of fact, I would never live in the south again. The people are way to backwards and bigoted. No thank you. Give me my Northeast.

I've come to realize any place worth living is expensive. That's just the way it is. I can't wait for September 6th to roll around and we are residents of Long Island again.
I wouldn't lump all the south in with Florida. Yes, most of the South is conservative and can be intolerant, but there is staunch difference between middle class people in say, Charlottesville VA, and trailer park dwellers in Florida. I've been to both places, and between ghetto thugs and the empty eyed soulless looking vagabounds I've seen where my dad leaves on the space coast...I'll take Virginia. I never feel 100% safe going out at night most places in Florida.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:23 AM

103 posts, read 377,851 times
I moved down to FL with my gf (also from LI) for school. After I graduated we decided to stay. We wound up buying a townhouse and stayed for 6 yrs total. We got married and realized we had to decide where we wanted to really settle down. We decided to come back to LI. We came back up here because both our families are here, plus we both agreed that because of the great schools and all the culture NY/LI would be a better place to raise our own family one day. We both miss FL (except in the summer) but we're confident we made the right choice. I'd have to admit, though, that if our families were not all here that it would have been a much harder decision to make.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:59 AM

237 posts, read 855,902 times
My wife and I are from Long Island. We currently live in NC. We moved down here to be able to buy a home. I would of never left Long Island if I could of afforded to stay and would move back in a second if I could. There is a reason why Long Island is expensive as the services you get there are far better. Things are very backwards down here and "southern Hospitality" doesnt exist its more like southern hostility. Yes the winters are milder and there is hardly any snow but the summers are unbareable. I now understand why people work 2-3 jobs to stay in NY. Since a move back to Long Island is not possible unless we hit LOTTO, we are considering PA and DE so we are 2-3 hours away from family. I cant wait to get out of the south.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman529 View Post
My wife and I are from Long Island. We currently live in NC. We moved down here to be able to buy a home. I would of never left Long Island if I could of afforded to stay and would move back in a second if I could. There is a reason why Long Island is expensive as the services you get there are far better. Things are very backwards down here and "southern Hospitality" doesnt exist its more like southern hostility. Yes the winters are milder and there is hardly any snow but the summers are unbareable. I now understand why people work 2-3 jobs to stay in NY. Since a move back to Long Island is not possible unless we hit LOTTO, we are considering PA and DE so we are 2-3 hours away from family. I cant wait to get out of the south.

Can you elaborate on the hostility you've encountered?

Old 08-25-2008, 06:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
4 years ago my husband was transferred to Va just outside of Richmond. Lower taxes,car insurance,housing cheaper. Ok Va Beach 2 1/2 hours away,outer banks 3 hours but no snow.
I distinctly recall being stuck on I-95 during the start of the Presidential Snow Storm in 2003. The road was treacherous and tons of snow came down. The road iced over and tractor trailers, cars and buses were sliding off the road.

This was in Virginia.

We managed to creep our way to Fredericksburg and get a hotel room for the night. The area was shutting down, people were freaking out. It was obvious that they didn't see much snow, let alone in the amounts which were falling.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:09 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Honestly my schools here in Fl are better, however I do not like the whole right to work thing and I do not care for the healthcare. I would not go back to LI I may try upstate NY or Pa.
Check the upstate boards about taxes in NYS. It appears that there are areas up there that are worse than LI when you compare property value to taxes.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:03 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Check the upstate boards about taxes in NYS. It appears that there are areas up there that are worse than LI when you compare property value to taxes.
Yup...good point. My sister lives in Glenmont (near Schnectady)...has 1/2 acre and a 3 br/2 bath standard split level ranch. She pays a whopping $6500 year in taxes. Plenty of homes in Rocky Point like that for half the taxes and twice the schools!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island