Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 11:57 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,744 times

Advertisements

I've just about decided I need to move. You know what the icing on the cake really is....its that I cant get reliable internet and phone service. The Cablevision triple play here apparently decides to go out 5-6 times a week, due to "maintanance" according to the phone rep, this has been going on for quite a few weeks. And our village hasn't signed the Fios TV contract and probably wont, thanks to our corrupt Mayor.
Of course this pales in comparison to what is happening with safety in this village. I feel extremely unsafe here. Its easy for people like the Mayor to say there is nothing wrong, I guess they dont have to walk down Post ave at night going home from the train station. Which is another thing, train service here is bad, there are times even in rush hour where the train comes only every 45-60 minutes, most trains skip Westbury.
Take the other night, I'm walking down Post ave and there's gangs of illegals hanging out, with bandanas and gang colors (mostly blue and white MS-13). The plaza at Post and Maple is full of kids and men getting drunk (if there's school the next day why are the kids still out at 9-10pm?). As for the kids...I dont have to say much more for you to figure out the rest.
I pass by broken glass, yet another storefront window was broken. I see gang tags for MS-13, Surenos, 18th street scattered around on stop signs on phone boxes. I have to constantly look over my shoulder, not just for gangbangers but day laborers often racing their bikes on the sidewalk, I've almost got run over a few times. Then there's the trash and the smells of spilled beer and urine, especially by the Sambuca nightclub, which despite all its problems, always gets it's licensed renewed (our corrupt Mayor and Village board). There has been several shootings and gang fights there...but like alot of crime here, it never gets to the news. Just like the man who was mugged after walking home from work at a drugstore in town.
I've given up. I dont see the "revitalization" Mayor Strada talks about at the village board meetings. I only see it getting worse. I really think it is time for me just to simply move. I cannot live my life "in the ghetto".
If I can get a 1 bedroom or studio (no basements) in Wantagh, Bellmore,Massapequa, or Massapequa Park, preferably not too far from the train station I might just move. But my budget is $1250 max. I better hit send before the internet goes out again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 08:55 AM

155 posts, read 298,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I've just about decided I need to move. You know what the icing on the cake really is....its that I cant get reliable internet and phone service. The Cablevision triple play here apparently decides to go out 5-6 times a week, due to "maintanance" according to the phone rep, this has been going on for quite a few weeks. And our village hasn't signed the Fios TV contract and probably wont, thanks to our corrupt Mayor.
Of course this pales in comparison to what is happening with safety in this village. I feel extremely unsafe here. Its easy for people like the Mayor to say there is nothing wrong, I guess they dont have to walk down Post ave at night going home from the train station. Which is another thing, train service here is bad, there are times even in rush hour where the train comes only every 45-60 minutes, most trains skip Westbury.
Take the other night, I'm walking down Post ave and there's gangs of illegals hanging out, with bandanas and gang colors (mostly blue and white MS-13). The plaza at Post and Maple is full of kids and men getting drunk (if there's school the next day why are the kids still out at 9-10pm?). As for the kids...I dont have to say much more for you to figure out the rest.
I pass by broken glass, yet another storefront window was broken. I see gang tags for MS-13, Surenos, 18th street scattered around on stop signs on phone boxes. I have to constantly look over my shoulder, not just for gangbangers but day laborers often racing their bikes on the sidewalk, I've almost got run over a few times. Then there's the trash and the smells of spilled beer and urine, especially by the Sambuca nightclub, which despite all its problems, always gets it's licensed renewed (our corrupt Mayor and Village board). There has been several shootings and gang fights there...but like alot of crime here, it never gets to the news. Just like the man who was mugged after walking home from work at a drugstore in town.
I've given up. I dont see the "revitalization" Mayor Strada talks about at the village board meetings. I only see it getting worse. I really think it is time for me just to simply move. I cannot live my life "in the ghetto".
If I can get a 1 bedroom or studio (no basements) in Wantagh, Bellmore,Massapequa, or Massapequa Park, preferably not too far from the train station I might just move. But my budget is $1250 max. I better hit send before the internet goes out again.
Is Westbury policed by the NCPD? If so, have you made any complaints to them?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:46 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
It stinks to see an area you were fond of take a change from what you are comfortable with. I'm sorry.

Don't forget to add Seaford, Merrick and Bellmore to your list, too.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:48 PM

NCPD has definately been contacted by myself and many other residents fed up with the direction our village is taking. I know Mayor Strada will not be running again next year, I'm trying to stick it out till then, but its difficult.
We've had the same mayor for 30 years I think, which is a very good reason why the village government has stagnated and is unresponsive to the needs of the community.
He and judge Liotti are the reason why the village is having problems because they dont want to take action on the issues with the gangs and illegal immigrants.
Liotti needs to be voted out in the next election. Does anyone know of any area civic associations?
I know Mineola used to have similar problems but the last time I was there it seems they cleaned it up a bit, I think it was due to "cleaning house" in the village govt.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:15 PM

7 posts, read 14,637 times
Default Home

Are u in the market of buying a home instead of renting? I didn't know Westbury was that bad. I moved from Amityville to South Carolina. I wouldn't suggest anyone move to South Carolina. It's a whole different world here that I still don't care for. Massapequa is nice but also very expensive. Ever thought of any places in Suffolk County?

Old 09-10-2008, 06:08 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,932,540 times
You love Suffolk John, why don't you move out here?
I think you'd be able to find a really nice small apartment in your price range near the Massapequa train station.
Try craigslist

Old 09-10-2008, 08:30 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,646 times
Quote:
On Bedford Avenue in Bellmore there are a lot of apartments above the storefronts. You might have to wait a month or two until one becomes available but it'd probably be worth it. I'm sure they're in your price range. Train service on the Babylon line is a little better than that, and you can get FiOS (but I also don't have any problems with Cablevision in this area). No illegals to speak of, though you probably will encounter plenty of white and black stoner kids who hang out on the block.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:12 AM

I'll see what happens with the new Mayor, the election is in early 2009. Word is he's going to clean out the illegals.
The Mineola Mayor, Jack Martins did a good job cleaning up the town, he's now running to unseat McCarthy. Dont agree with his anti-3rd track and pro-drilling stance but I might vote for him because he really cleaned things up there and may help our district with these quality of life issues.
I remember seeing alot illegals downtown in Mineola, now I hardly see any.
Problem is in Suffolk I get no bus service at night or on Sundays, and on the south shore while I'm by the LIRR the north-south bus service is terrible, and nothing runs on weekends.
I have to stick it out a little while longer. Its what happens, I get all emotional and then calm down and realize not to make a hasty decision.
Villages have the power to clean themselves up. All we need is a Mayor who will finally do that job. And Judge Liotti needs to go, he just lets all the criminals off the hook, claiming it's "not his jurisdiction". Then why is he a Judge?

Old 09-15-2008, 12:02 PM

155 posts, read 298,511 times
Quote:
I'll see what happens with the new Mayor, the election is in early 2009. Word is he's going to clean out the illegals.
The Mineola Mayor, Jack Martins did a good job cleaning up the town, he's now running to unseat McCarthy. Dont agree with his anti-3rd track and pro-drilling stance but I might vote for him because he really cleaned things up there and may help our district with these quality of life issues.
I remember seeing alot illegals downtown in Mineola, now I hardly see any.
Problem is in Suffolk I get no bus service at night or on Sundays, and on the south shore while I'm by the LIRR the north-south bus service is terrible, and nothing runs on weekends.
I have to stick it out a little while longer. Its what happens, I get all emotional and then calm down and realize not to make a hasty decision.
Villages have the power to clean themselves up. All we need is a Mayor who will finally do that job. And Judge Liotti needs to go, he just lets all the criminals off the hook, claiming it's "not his jurisdiction". Then why is he a Judge?
Jack Martins is a great man and an excellent mayor. We will be sad to see him leave when he unseats McCarthy. Jack also had the cahonies to fight the NCPD and tried to have a village police force take over patrol of Mineola. Unfortunately, the whole referendum became very political and the demogages won out. However it's nice to see a politician stand up to a corrupt political machine, even if he has no chance at winning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island