Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2007, 10:42 AM

9 posts, read 35,111 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember Willie's Pizza in Gibson? It was in the strip mall on Peninsula Blvd across the street from what was Peninsula Bowl before it became a furniture store. Willie wasn't Italian but he sure could make pizza. We ate at Willie's then went into the bar at the bowling ally for liquid dessert and we were all under 18. I agree with most everyone who says LI pizza is the best. I have lived in Arkansas, Kansas, Minnesota, and now Texas and I have traveled to all but 3 states and so far found nothing like LI pizza. Though I have to admit it's getting better as NYers flee their home state for the less expensive south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 10:44 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner View Post
Interesting that I was thinking of Selden and came upon your post. In the early 1950's my grandfather built a house in Selden mostly with his own hands. It was on about 10 acres of land he owned at what I see on Google Earth is Beech Avenue at the intersection of Orchard Drive (SE corner). At that time I dont even think the streets had names. He and my grandmother lived in Brooklyn and by no means were wealthy since he was a clothing designer in the garment district. My cousins and I would spend summers there. Sadly he died from cancer at age 56 before he could finish the house and his children sold it, probably I would guess for under $50,000. I foolishly failed to ask my 91 yr old mother about it before she died last year. I see on Google Earth that there are now 2 houses on the land he owned. I left NY in 1967 and from reading the posts here I see housing prices are really high on Long Island. If anyone has any idea what that 10 acres of land might be worth today or the value of the houses on it, I would appreciate a reply.
10M +/-
Me thinks
250k per buildable 1/4

Selden is neither desireable nor undesireble
Could be less.

My family sold 2 acres in E Hampton in 1968 for pennies
Dont feel bad.

C

Old 11-14-2007, 02:02 PM

9 posts, read 35,111 times
thanks for the info. i cant believe what i read about the high prices there. here in san antonio a buildable 1/4 acre is about 20K in a great area. i only feel bad about it cause i have fond memories of the summers. east hampton must be at least double what selden is. thanks again.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:06 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
Quote:
thanks for the info. i cant believe what i read about the high prices there. here in san antonio a buildable 1/4 acre is about 20K in a great area. i only feel bad about it cause i have fond memories of the summers. east hampton must be at least double what selden is. thanks again.
More like 10x Selden.

Millionares and Movie stars

C

Old 11-14-2007, 02:21 PM

240 posts, read 1,057,113 times
Quote:
Interesting that I was thinking of Selden and came upon your post. In the early 1950's my grandfather built a house in Selden mostly with his own hands. It was on about 10 acres of land he owned at what I see on Google Earth is Beech Avenue at the intersection of Orchard Drive (SE corner). At that time I dont even think the streets had names. He and my grandmother lived in Brooklyn and by no means were wealthy since he was a clothing designer in the garment district. My cousins and I would spend summers there. Sadly he died from cancer at age 56 before he could finish the house and his children sold it, probably I would guess for under $50,000. I foolishly failed to ask my 91 yr old mother about it before she died last year. I see on Google Earth that there are now 2 houses on the land he owned. I left NY in 1967 and from reading the posts here I see housing prices are really high on Long Island. If anyone has any idea what that 10 acres of land might be worth today or the value of the houses on it, I would appreciate a reply.
My grandfather's father had hog farms throughout selden and in Smithtown. A few streets in Selden are named after his family, Abinet Ct, Wanda Ct, March Ct, this whole area was his property at one time. I don't think he minds much, since he now that despises the town of Selden. The Smithtown property, however, would now be worth multi, multi millions. If I remember correctly it ran from Edgewood Avenue to the Smithtown Bull, it's all commercial property now.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:23 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
How about the Swan Club in Glen Head? Is it still there?Had my wedding reception there in '81.
DKVA
That is still around...and from what I hear, it's beautiful!

Old 11-14-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Geeze I miss LI! Never going to live there again though!

No one understands...once you leave LI people just don't appreciate GOOD food!

Does anyone else (who's left LI) check their old neighborhood on GoogleEarth??
Google Earth is cool, however it's years behind.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:31 PM

The OBI, Roosevelt Raceway, Nunleys- RIP

Old 11-14-2007, 02:35 PM

Hah...and does anyone remember TSS (Times Square Stores) & A&S...and Roosevelt Field when it only had 1 floor?

Old 11-14-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scammed View Post
I grew up in Elmont and spent half my life there. I now live in Houston. I still maintain my N.Y. accent and as soon as I say something I am asked where I am from. I still support my N.Y. teams and say N.Y. there is nowhere like it.
My memories are of kids roller skating on ball bearings and you better have that key to make the clamps tight. Riding my Schwinn bike, using big chalk to make a hopsctoch and potsie in the street.
Gouz farm was down the road as was Jim Dandy Cleaners, Sally's Beauty Palor, Laura and Harold's Candy Store, Whelan's Drug Store.
Good Humor, Bungelow Bar, Hockey Pokey and Mr. Carvel came around to sell ice cream.
Tony would come around with his half-moon ride and the kids would pay their quarter to ride it.
It was a time when PTA meetings were SRO and parents were dressed in their finest. It was also a time when almost everyone on the block knew each other and cared about each other's kids.
Winter brought using snow from a can and stencils to make pictures on the windows.
We subscribed to the Long Island Press and listened to WMCA the Good Guys and Cousin BRUUCCIEE. Did not even know what country music was.
Even though we had a pool in the backyard it was running under the sprinkler in the frontyeard we loved.
We shopped at Green Acres and the Five Towns.
My grandmother lived In Long Beach and we would take the LIRR there to spend the day. We would walk for miles on the boardwalk, play skiball and accumulate tickets to buy prizes. No one ever saw cars on the beach.
Went to college at Adelphi and as soon as classes were over a group of us would drive over to Hofstra to watch the Jets practice.
I remember friends and I walking miles to the Argo Theater movie and buying a large frozen milky way on a stick.
Yes, we instinctively knew the Nassau County ,Queens border.
Great Eastern Mills was across the street from the Elmont Public Library.
I have read every page of this thread and all I can say is thanks for the memories.
My mom went to St. Boniface...that was in Elmont right? My mom grew up on Miriam Ct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island