Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2007, 07:09 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times

Advertisements

Roslyn Village memories .....
Remember the little bowling alley right next to My Father's Place before it was My Father's Place?
The Blue Spruce Inn?
The Nickerson family before Mr. NIckerson wrote that famous Special Ed law called The Nickerson Law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 07:12 PM

Speaking of the "five and ten"s... remember Kresge's, Kress, Woolworth's and -- oh no, I completely blanked out on the name of the other 5&10 ! Help me out on this, fellow Boomers...??

Newberry's in the Miracle Mile BEFORE it became all hoity toity?

Old 10-25-2007, 07:25 PM

Port Jefferson village memories:

Grammas (the best ice cream in the world).
The Elks Hotel .
Lyons Brothers where you could arrive by boat and get cold cold cokes in bottles for 5 or 10 cents.
The original Schooner Restaurant which was really a beached schooner right on 25A in the heart of the village.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:54 PM

55 posts, read 345,457 times
Wink Suffolk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoopizza View Post
Any one from suffolk county LongIsland?
The last place I lived was Holbrook, before that was Smithtown, Ronkonkoma, Lake Ronkonkoma, Stonybrook,Sayville (loved going down to the docks and fishing or crabbing at night) and I worked at a restaurant in Oakdale called the Snapper Inn. Does anyone remember the Shack? Or Mamma Lombardi's? The best Italian Seafood ever
How about the strip in Smithtown, bar hopping with the paper cup .. remember Sylvester's?

Old 10-26-2007, 06:56 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Port Jefferson village memories:

Grammas (the best ice cream in the world).
The Elks Hotel .
Lyons Brothers where you could arrive by boat and get cold cold cokes in bottles for 5 or 10 cents.
The original Schooner Restaurant which was really a beached schooner right on 25A in the heart of the village.
Dont forget Billy's

Old 10-27-2007, 11:54 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Dont forget Billy's
At least Billy's is still there

It was sad to see the Grammas building get demolished.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:37 PM

Did it get demolished? That's very sad. I have not been back there in so long......
What is it now?

Old 10-27-2007, 03:39 PM

45 posts, read 167,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4StanleyCups View Post
Okay, here's something I was reminded of today. I apologize if it comes across as being a "downer" but I don't mean it that way...

You know those "memorials" that people sometimes place at the site of where a loved one died in a car accident....we've all seen them.... Are they a uniquely Long Island thing? I seem to recall reading something a few years ago that said these aren't usually done in other areas, and that there's a tacit understanding that they aren't removed by whatever entity maintains our roadways.

It is true that I never noticed any of them when driving in CT, NJ, RI and Mass ... so now I wonder if they are indeed a "Long Island thing"?

Has anyone else seen 'memorials' at all, or with any regularity, elsewhere than on LI?
There are shrines on the sight of an accident/death in MD...so it is definitely not just a LI thing.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:55 PM

45 posts, read 167,924 times
Wow! I just read this whole thread...I grew up in Lindenhurst and worked at 3 places mentioned, Adventureland, The 56th fighter group and Beefsteak Charlie's (Bayshore)...Good times for sure.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:09 PM

But, Adventureland & the 56th Fighter Group restaurant are still there in Farmingdale.
After many incantations, Beefsteak Charlie's is going to become ......ta da...... a Cheesecake Factory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island