Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 07:02 AM

262 posts, read 1,232,311 times

Advertisements

I believe TSS stores were first replaced by Caldors, then Kohls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 05:41 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,562 times
OMG remember Caldors! Really wrestling at the Huntington Towne House!Does anyone remember Billy Blakes, what about bakeries like Dutch Maid, Riggis or Cheescake King? Pancake Cottages? Anyone from Smithtown remember the Pioneer Diner then became the hidden pond diner? Does anyone remember a store called Nice and Daffy in hauppauge?

Old 02-23-2007, 07:19 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
OMG remember Caldors! Really wrestling at the Huntington Towne House!Does anyone remember Billy Blakes, what about bakeries like Dutch Maid, Riggis or Cheescake King? Pancake Cottages? Anyone from Smithtown remember the Pioneer Diner then became the hidden pond diner? Does anyone remember a store called Nice and Daffy in hauppauge?

You have an amazing memory! I loved the Pancake Cottage.

Here's a question...were there ever any Dairy Queens on Long Island and where were they??

Old 02-23-2007, 07:44 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,958 times
Quote:
... Really wrestling at the Huntington Towne House!...
Yes for over 3 years now.
The death knell, in my opinion, is when the Pep Boys went in across the street, replacing the wooded acreage... it just crushed whatever was left of the ambiance.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:57 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,103,535 times
Quote:
Hey where was Riggi Bakery again? I'm drawing a blank but remember the name...

Old 02-23-2007, 08:36 PM

Riggi bakery was in Commack across from the KFC. Yes there were Dairy Queens one was in Hauppauge by the expressway on Rte 111 by Motor Pkwy, I think it is a Quinzos now, and there was one in Port Jefferson on 112 my husband said.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:38 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,205 times
I think Pancake Cottage is gone (was there one in Smithtown at one point, in the same shopping center as Fourth World Comics and Uncle Guiseppe's now?) but at least IHOP is still around!

You mean the Pioneer Diner changed its name?? I still call it that! LOL (seriously, I usually just say "the diner at the intersection of Jericho and Rte 111" because I can never remember what they changed the name to!)

Old 02-23-2007, 09:20 PM

330 posts, read 1,976,467 times
Default Popeye's

how about Popeye's chicken? Is that place still around? The one i remember was in Huntington.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:27 PM

6 posts, read 33,948 times
Default Remember these

there was an Ed's aquarium in Valley Stream
How about Easy Street in Lynbrook in the 70's
it was Uncle Al's before that, local bands,girls
Speaks, Rumours,Channel 80 all in Island park

Uncle Sam's in Levittown & Decamerons across the street
Chaz in Huntington, Cherry's in Glen Cove
Chuckles in Mineola?
Jupiters in Frankilin Square-(now I'm revealing my age)

Taking it back a little more, roller skating at Wallcliffe in Elmont,
then swimming in the pool in the summer
they're condos now

Old 02-23-2007, 09:36 PM

Yes that is where Pancake Cottage was in that shopping center! Remember the bar in their Autumns? The only thing original in ther is Eckered, Apple Bank, and Alpine Bakery i think. Popeyes chicken was also in Centereach where Wendys is now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island