Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2007, 07:12 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,373,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Remember the walkway over the road between Gertz and the mall?
I remember that. I moved to Noth Babylon in 1981 , so went to the Gardner Manor mall. Is the mall still there?
I grew up in Lawrence, the 5 towns, them 6 years in Mt Sinai, 11 in North Babylon, then moved to NJ-huge Mistake!
Then last year left NJ, and here is where I will remain.

Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 07:28 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,153,737 times
I lived in North Babylon for 28 years, with a brief foray out to California in the early 80's. Been a Damn Yankee for the last 20 years. What other stores were at Gardner Manor as I can only remember Sears and Gertz?

As a kid I was a big fan of TSS on Montauk Hwy in West Babylon with it's great record department. I know that the A&S is a BB&B but what's in the old TSS now?

Old 09-13-2007, 07:31 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,018,002 times
Default I can put a check next to every one.

That's awesome.. I can check off EVERY SINGLE item on that list.. too freakin funny!

Old 09-14-2007, 06:11 AM

90 posts, read 343,428 times
Tim, I lived on Old Medford ave,south of Horseblock rd west of rte 112.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:30 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,373,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygirl6216 View Post
Tim, I lived on Old Medford ave,south of Horseblock rd west of rte 112.
The first house I bought wasn't far from there. It was off Corem-Mt Sinai rd, not far from 25A, Imperial Gardens Development. Bought in in 1976, for $32,990. My lot was oversized at 3/4 acre.

Diane

Old 09-15-2007, 02:31 PM

9 posts, read 58,092 times
Default Living On Long Island

I grew up in Queens.
Long Islanders do not consider Brooklyn and Queens to be "part of Long Island", although maps will dispute that.
My wife, children, and I moved to Massapequa Park in 1978. It was a nice place to live.
Queens changed. Nassau County changed (and not for the better).
However, I realized that childhoods are very special, and most of our fondest memories are from our childhood. Mine are from Queens. My children's are from Massapequa Park.
So, when we see change (in the old neighborhood), we become despondent, and think the "old neighborhood" has gone to the dogs.
Maybe it has. But if you look aroud, you'll see a new families, with children, who will have their own memories of growing up on Long Island. They will, as they grow up, long for their "good old days"also.
Me, I gave up over 5 years ago and moved to Las Vegas. It's not Long Island, but the Long Island I raised my family on no longer exists.
My children still live there (on LI). And it looks that I'll have to rent a second place, on LI, to be more involved in their lives. Probably, I'll end up moving back, as my wife "hates" it here. I admit it's a shlep to see our children! But, the cost of living here is bearable.
People ask (honestly) "Do they have grocery stores where you live?" Pretty much everything that's in NY, is here. I don't live on "The Strip". There are some very nice residential neighborhoods. And the people are, IMHO, nice. (well, nicer than on LI).
PS If you have a gambling problem, DO NOT move to Las Vegas!

Old 09-15-2007, 04:38 PM

6 posts, read 30,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
Not only Jack In The Box, but the Big Steer too! Kleins... OMG, how could I forget Kleins, not to mention Alexanders (the "big" store in Roosefield Field once upon a time).

Anyone ever buy fish from Ed's Tropical Aquarium? (no, not for eating, unless you also had a piranha)

My mom had a part-time job in the dress department at the Mays in Levittown for years! Before that, she worked at Kress's in Hempstead (note: This was back in the 1950s, when Hempstead did not have the same demographics that it does today).

Speaking of the "five and ten"s... remember Kresge's, Kress, Woolworth's and -- oh no, I completely blanked out on the name of the other 5&10 ! Help me out on this, fellow Boomers...??
Its Newberry's!

Old 09-15-2007, 05:37 PM

6 posts, read 30,634 times
Default Jahn's Restaurant...

Does anyone remember the Kitchen Sink? We used to go there and get Challah French toast

Old 09-15-2007, 07:30 PM

11 posts, read 43,960 times
Default Patchogue

Chevy Girl, I Was Trying To Think Of Some Of My Friend's Older Siblings You May Have Gone To School With. Know Anyone Last Name Of Kelly, Lyons, Beyer Or O'connell? ---tim

Old 09-16-2007, 02:37 PM

90 posts, read 343,428 times
Lol, bought my first house in 1978 in Selden, paid 32,000. Sold it 1 1/2 latter for 49,000 thought i made a fortune. He sol it a year 1/2 latter for 89,000 lol. then all heck broke loose and houses went crazy!!!! Wish we could go back to those times and maybe the kids growing up on LI would have a chance of the American Dream. I have no regretts growing up in FLushing Queens the LI. Was the best times of my life. But now i live on the coast of North Carolina and its nice here and but i miss the Italian bread, bagels italian ices lol ohh well can't have it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island