Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 11:00 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klquar View Post
There was a grants and woolworth in the Tri County Flea Market?BAlly shopping center is now

I remember Franklin National Bank and JC Penneys in there -- the Tri County flea market was Mays Dept Store. I lived just south of the Hemp Tpke by St Bernards Church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 06:40 PM

12 posts, read 68,285 times
Default Island Recreational

<<I used to work at the Grill Store on the other side of the Island Rec shopping center. We hung out at Rum Bottoms and ate pizza at Pizza Cove. I was quite a healthy walk from there -- lived south of the SS between 107 & Broadway.>>

I worked at Island Rec pools during the summer of 79. Back then, they owned that grill shop. It was an INSANE place to work. 14 hour shifts were not uncommon. The owner of the pool store, would send out to that German Deli a few doors down for sandwiches which were supposed to hold us over from 8am to 10pm. I was a cashier and that was back when there were still carbons in the credit card receipts. Our sandwiches would have black fingerprints all over them.....Weren't there any laws back then? Or maybe we were having such a good time that we didn't care......

Old 02-12-2008, 08:21 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKZ View Post
<<I used to work at the Grill Store on the other side of the Island Rec shopping center. We hung out at Rum Bottoms and ate pizza at Pizza Cove. I was quite a healthy walk from there -- lived south of the SS between 107 & Broadway.>>

I worked at Island Rec pools during the summer of 79. Back then, they owned that grill shop. It was an INSANE place to work. 14 hour shifts were not uncommon. The owner of the pool store, would send out to that German Deli a few doors down for sandwiches which were supposed to hold us over from 8am to 10pm. I was a cashier and that was back when there were still carbons in the credit card receipts. Our sandwiches would have black fingerprints all over them.....Weren't there any laws back then? Or maybe we were having such a good time that we didn't care......
I worked in the Island Rec grill store in 1981. No one was sending out for sandwiches then. The German deli was excellent...

I used to hate showing up for work @ IR on Saturday mornings...half the time some drunk from Rumbottoms peed on the doors. EEW!

Old 02-15-2008, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,888 times
How bout these things:

Charles Chips (home delivery of pretzels and chips in the metal tubs)

4th of July fireworks at Eisenhower park
The Ravens Nest topless bar next to Putt-Putt in Hempstead Tpke
Cosmic debris
Nathans amusement park in oceanside
My Pie restaraunt in Sunrise mall and in the mall on Rt 106
Zahns airport
McCluskys steak house in Bellmore on Sunrise
Giant Bavarian beer garden in Bellmore on Sunrise
Camp DeBaun is closing this year FYI
Westbury theatre on Old country rd playing only XXX
Roosevelt Raceway Flea market....HUGE
The Itch movie theatre in Bellmore
The toll booths on SS parkway exit 13

Old 02-15-2008, 02:19 PM

62 posts, read 226,288 times
If it hasn't already been posted -- Beefsteak Charlie's beer, wine or sangria, and all the shrimp you can eat!

Old 02-15-2008, 02:26 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
And then climbing out the bathroom window to skip out on the bill.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:37 PM

62 posts, read 226,288 times
LOL, omfg -- was that you climbing out behind me??

Old 02-16-2008, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 13,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Anyone remember a real hole in the walll bar in Ronkonoma called Kiss? It was on the lake!Remember when WBAB sponsored road rallys that ended at the boardy barn? What about Kleins in Commack it is now Macys and it was Sterns too! Remember David's cookies? Remember the x-rated movies in Ronkonoma? The muliplex's really put the "twin movie" theatres out of business. I remember the twin movie in Ronkonkoma that is now an OTB, I saw Animal House there! Remember when Rocky Horror played at midnight at the Patchogue and Hauppauge theatre? Does anyone remember the Commack Roller Rink? The Commack Arena? Flea Markets?
Was that same bar calles "FACES" at one time??

Old 02-16-2008, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 13,795 times
Villa Contento Pizza in E Islip...my father's Texaco station at the corner of Washington/Suffolk in Brentwood (back when it was nice)...Taft Street in B'wood, The Island Discount store, the Brentwood Deli who had the best potato salad in the world and I have never been able to find since! Solomon Grundy's In Islip, Campbell's Bakery in Brentwood. Does anyone remember WETSON'S? It was over by the Smithhaven mall area, they had big neon circles on the roof, on each side of the building...I used to like their cheeseburgers better than McDonald's when I was a kid. The Farmer's Market there...it was HUGE! (at least it seemed huge back then)...Sunken Meadow, Ivy League Preschool in Hauppauge, italian ices on a hot summer day...hearing the sound of the LIRR train at night...that is LI to me. We left when I was 10 but I will never forget those things...went back frequently, my first crush Steven Tarolli...my best friend Grace Cavanaugh and Zsa Zsa Szucs...mint growing wild in our yard...waiting until everyone was alseep and running naked through the snow...getting hit by a car on Jefferson Avenue and Taft Street. Hey, anyone remember Dairy Barn?

Old 02-16-2008, 04:48 PM

12 posts, read 68,285 times
Default Old Stores Long Gone

Long before there was Lowes and Home Depot, we had Pergament and Rickels (Rickels helps you do it better, do it better with Rickels.) Before Island Recreational, there was a Johns Bargain Stores there. I remember Great Eastern but I don't remember where it was. I remember a mens clothing store Robert Hall, but can't remember where that was either. As far as bars go, I used to hang out at Butters (in Wantagh), Slopes, which was around the corner from that and the big hang out was the Tabard Ale House. but I only went there a handful of times, always mobbed. A little later on, when Disco reared it's ugly head, there was Uncle Sams on Hempstead Turnpike which became the punk club SPIT on Wednesdays. My mom and sis still live out there so I go back fairly often. I really, really miss that enormous flea market at Roosevelt Raceway. I spent thousands of dollars on crap which I did not need all through the 70s.

Last edited by LisaKZ; 02-16-2008 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: bad code
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island