Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:19 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,393 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I could find sewing lessons near Rocky Point? I'd like to learn this in order to save money and make my own clothes, curtains and such as well as to have as a fun hobby. I see there are classes in Massapequa and points west, but that's just too far for me to drive. There has to be some sewing lessons out this way! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 08:32 AM

87 posts, read 259,918 times
Default sewing lessons

There is a sewing shop on Middle country Rd. It is in the shopping center at the corner of hawkins Ave. in Lake grove across from the good Steer. I think I read that they give lessons and also Joannes in Centereach may also.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Gal View Post
There is a sewing shop on Middle country Rd. It is in the shopping center at the corner of hawkins Ave. in Lake grove across from the good Steer. I think I read that they give lessons and also Joannes in Centereach may also.
Thanks, I'll look into those.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:59 AM

JoAnn's in Centereach doesn't give lessons - only the 'superstores' do. I'm now trying to follow up with Sew Time in Lake Grove, as they do have lessons. In case anyone else is interested. I'll post what I find out.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyarizona View Post
Hi,I too have been searching for sewing groups or sewing lessons in Suffolk County. My focus is sewing for the home rather than garments. I have searched the ASG (American Sewing Guild) on line and got the name of someone who does classes on LI but she never got back to me. Please let me know if you find anything. Feel free to contact me at gayapotheker@hotmail.com. Thank you!
I tried emailing Sew Time, which is across from the Good Steer in Lake Grove, but haven't heard anything back. They do advertise classes on their website though - Sew Time - Classes (http://www.sewtime.com/classes.html - broken link). I just haven't gotten around to calling yet.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:32 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Does anyone know where I could find sewing lessons near Rocky Point? I'd like to learn this in order to save money and make my own clothes, curtains and such as well as to have as a fun hobby. I see there are classes in Massapequa and points west, but that's just too far for me to drive. There has to be some sewing lessons out this way! Thanks!
Have you tried BOCES? Or you might ask at your local library...

Old 03-21-2009, 06:24 AM

7 posts, read 26,957 times
Hi...I read your blog the other day and registered on this site. So many people have been asking me about teaching, I think it's time to get started. I live in Mount Sinai, probably ten minutes from you, off 25A. Contact me if you are still interested in lessons, and we can talk about it. I am willing to teach you out of my house, one night a week for a few hours, if that works for you. In the meantime, I'm going to look into the Heritage Park building on the corner of North Ocean for the possibility of holding full classes. You can also contact me at Moderator cut: sorry ~~~ no private e-mails here. DM instead.
which I access more often than my home email. Thanks, and have a nice day

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-21-2009 at 06:43 PM..

Old 03-21-2009, 08:09 AM

Actually, I never did find a place to do classes. I've borrowed a machine and am supposed to be trying to teach myself, but that hasn't gone well yet. I did sign up for a quilting class next month, so I need to be able to do some basic sewing by then! I am definitely still interested, as is a friend of mine (she also signed up for the quilting class). Can you PM me with what you are charging for lessons? Thanks.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:27 PM

7 posts, read 26,957 times
Hi, Melanie...I responded under my email, so let me know if you don't receive it. Cindy

Old 03-21-2009, 09:39 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,428 times
Please include me as interested in sewing lessons. Only if they are nearby. I am in Wading River. I make curtains ( very plain ones) and am good at dog coats (used to sell them on E-bay) but I am greatly lacking in the finer areas and really want to do more! Thanks!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island