Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 02:15 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Can we please stop bringing race into this? Who cares that one criminal was Black? Who cares that the victim was an immigrant from Jamaica? Race is meaningless.

This is about the rule of law. Both in regards to immigration status and attacking innocent people. Lucero did not belong here due to his immigration status but he also was a human being and dident deserve to be attacked. Period, end of story. Maybe now I can stop seeing it in Liesday every morning.
Fact of the matter is race is going to be a discussion in this case because the reason Lucerno was attacked and killed was his race. When someone is killed for the sole reason of their race you can't sweep the race issue under the rug and pretend he wasn't attacked due to his race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 02:45 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Fact of the matter is race is going to be a discussion in this case because the reason Lucerno was attacked and killed was his race. When someone is killed for the sole reason of their race you can't sweep the race issue under the rug and pretend he wasn't attacked due to his race.
We don't know that race was the SOLE reason. Crimes are complex and don't always have one easily packaged single motive. For example, why was the latino teen involved? Does he hate his own race? It's a lot more complex than that.

Now, newspapers and the Latino groups would like it to be solely about race because that sells more papers and forwards their agenda.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:53 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
This thread is depressing to read, except the talk about The Wire...didn't know we had so many fans on here, that's awesome.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:35 AM

151 posts, read 534,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
We don't know that race was the SOLE reason. Crimes are complex and don't always have one easily packaged single motive. For example, why was the latino teen involved? Does he hate his own race? It's a lot more complex than that.

Now, newspapers and the Latino groups would like it to be solely about race because that sells more papers and forwards their agenda.
I think it's a pretty safe bet that race was the main motive. Whether it was the only one is a mut point. I know plenty of people that hate there own race, sad but true.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:16 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post

The kids involved admitted they were looking for a Hispanic to beat up and that they go around doing that on a weekly basis. That pretty much shows that it was racially motivated. As far as the one Hispanic kid, it was his great grandmother who had the Hispanic heritage, the kid is 7/8 white 1/8 Puertorican.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:57 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I for one am sick and tired of these Hispanic activists and immigration advocates trying to dictate how our government should function, what laws should be enforced and what the penalties should be.

They also need to stop throwing around accusations of racism against anyone who <gasp how dare they> have a different opinion on immigration.
As a visitor to Elmont I find this constant story on the news and in the papers very biased. A couple of weeks ago a cab driver and another woman were killed in a horrible crash caused by a drunk illegal. I heard that story on the news maybe only 2 times. Why was this story not blasted all over Newday? All over the U.S. illegals have committed violent crimes but yet we never hear of these. They are kept very quiet. What those boys did was wrong...I don't condone what they did. But enough, absolutely enough of when Caucasians commit crimes, it's a hate crime and the papers and newsmedia flood the story over and over. Newsday, in my opinion, is a racist rag.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:48 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
yes what these teens did was a horrible hate crime. But so is marching on our streets telling us "gringos" to die

In all my recent years here on Long Island, the newly arrived Hispanics have never been anything else other than gentle, respectful and courteous. We would do well to behave that way. There was an occasion at the Sunrise Mall food court where my (disabled) daughter accidently threw her cellphone in the garbage . The workers kindly emptied the trash, but could not locate it.

Late that evening , I received a phone call from one of the workers. The people had all gone outside in the cold , looked through the trash and found Kelsey's phone. Then, the lady worker (Alma) searched through many many numbers before finding mine and called me to say she had the phone.
I was touched by their honesty and caring. Please do not judge these people if you have not taken the time to speak with them even.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-30-2008 at 12:57 PM..

Old 11-29-2008, 01:21 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
yes what these teens did was a horrible hate crime. But so is marching on our streets telling us "gringos" to die

In all my recent years here on Long Island, the newly arrived Hispanics have never been anything else other than gentle, respectful and courteous. We would do well to behave that way. There was an occasion at the Sunrise Mall food court where my (disabled) daughter accidently threw her cellphone in the garbage . The workers kindly emptied the trash, but could not locate it.

Late that evening , I received a phone call from one of the workers. The people had all gone outside in the cold , looked through the trash and found Kelsey's phone. Then, the lady worker (Alma) searched through many many numbers before finding mine and called me to say she had the phone.
I was touched by their honesty and caring. Please do not judge these people if you have not taken the time to speak with them even.
Why was my one post deleted as being off topic when this one has nothing, nothing at all to do with the original topic of the bias Newsday shows ???????

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 11-29-2008 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-29-2008, 06:12 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Why was my one post deleted as being off topic when this one has nothing, nothing at all to do with the original topic of the bias Newsday shows ???????

Old 11-29-2008, 06:16 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

When did I ever refer to "hispanics"? When I refer to people who come here and show no respect for our way of life I am referring to illegals, not (legal)immigrants like the helpful workers in the mall..
Once again it gets turned into a race issue, it's legal status and behavior plain and simple. If all the "day laborers" were Irish I'd be just as mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island