Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 06:07 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
theres plenty of starter homes for 300k and under, and you sure as hell dont need a $200k income to afford a 250-300k house. thats the problem here, people still want to try to have the best, even if its a starter home. the whole IDEA of a STARTER home, is that its not going to be the best house, probably going to need updating and some work, and probably wont be in your favorite "upscale/rich" neigborhood. Youre right though, if i was making $200k a year i wouldnt be looking for something "slightly updated", nor would i be looking for a "starter home". the people making under 80K are the ones in the "starter home" market
The problem is that a lot of the houses that were built as "starter homes" in the '50s and '60s now tend to come as one of two types:

1) They've been modernized and expanded and now cost way more than your $80K family can swing;

2) They've not been touched, and you can buy it, but then you've got tens of thousands to put into it, which you can't afford to do, and by the time you've done that why didn't you buy the nicer house anyway? Even if you bought one done 10 years ago, it's livable and you don't have the hassle.

It's no small thing to buy a house that needs work. Construction is expensive.

When people bought Levitt houses they didn't need to replace all the windows, fix the subsidence, fit a new boiler and put in appliances that aren't about to blow up. I've seen all that and more in houses that have been owned by the same people for 50 years.

This is also a pretty Suffolk-slanted set of categories. A lot of young Nassau families are in Category 5: in a not very large house which they can't really afford. There sure as heck aren't a lot of starter houses in Nassau for sub-$300K, and if you commute to the city, you're going to put yourself through hell living in central or eastern Suffolk.

I also agree, you don't need to be making 200k; but you do need to be making that OR buying somewhere really cheap, probably in Suffolk, to have bought in the past couple of years and have it easy. Unless your parents gave you a nice down payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 07:01 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
Our first home was a 1100 sq ft condo back in 1988 which was relatively inexpensive. I don't see why the Island doesn't have more of those. Also you could fit a lot of those Ryan homes on a zero lot line (garden homes, patio homes, etc).

Old 12-22-2008, 07:50 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Our first home was a 1100 sq ft condo back in 1988 which was relatively inexpensive. I don't see why the Island doesn't have more of those. Also you could fit a lot of those Ryan homes on a zero lot line (garden homes, patio homes, etc).

Yes you could.

Id love to see more cottage courts on LI like they have in Cali.

I think theyd get snapped up.

crooks

Old 12-22-2008, 10:45 PM

518 posts, read 1,821,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Yes you could.

Id love to see more cottage courts on LI like they have in Cali.

I think theyd get snapped up.

crooks
probably less profitable than apartment complexes, and u know thats all that matters to anyone on LI.. profit

Old 12-23-2008, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
probably less profitable than apartment complexes, and u know thats all that matters to anyone on LI.. profit

Not at all.

Have you been to California?

crooks

Old 12-23-2008, 07:02 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
My wife and I are pushing 150K now. We own a condo, which has lost significant value according to recent sales, back in 2006. According to my calculations, we've basically been renting it from the bank for the last few years, if you factor in what we would have been paying in rent, tax deductions, laundry, mtc, and the loss in value of our condo.

So, we are basically in category 4..we were told by our mortgage broker that we were shooting WAY below what we could afford (30K in salary ago). He told us that we could have qualified for a 590K house on a 30 yr mortgage. I asked him if he wanted to come over for peanut butter and jelly dinners after the close.

I think we probably went a LITTLE below, but that enabled both of us to take some time off work when my son was born. We looked at houses in the same price range as our condo, but if you factor in the increase in taxes, oil, etc, it would have been a lot more.

I look at the MLS every week, and people are being unrealistic. The same houses for 6 months, they've budged maybe 5% on their prices when they should be at least 10% down from last year this time, probably more. I'm ready to move into a house, but we're waiting for the market to bottom out. Our credit is perfect. For anyone who "can't find a buyer". Here I am, just start asking for what your house is actually worth. If you haven't sold in 6 months, you're probably asking too much.

We're living in an area where housing prices reflect 200K+ household incomes and the average income is less than half that. There are "starter" homes out there, people just happen to be asking for $350K for them when they should be 275K or less. Go look up any 3+, 1 bath house in a decent school district on LI. There are still people asking for close to 400K because they put a new bathroom in 5 years ago and their neighbor got 375K in 2006.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:38 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
For example:

http://www.mlsli.com/unidetailsredo....tart=1&rpp=100

Are they kidding me.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

How come C-D doesnt dispalay MLSLI Links?

crooks

Old 12-23-2008, 08:42 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
GREAT post Dman72. Im in the same exact boat as you.own a condo, waiting to sell....sitting on the sidelines till these prices shake out to where they should be.
Good luck!

Old 12-23-2008, 08:44 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
Yeah the page doesnt show up when the link leads you to MLS. Post the MLS # so we can see the house your talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island