Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:09 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,193,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I see you posted some real estate from my neck of the woods up here in Rochester. We have probably one of the most diverse housing stocks up here for the biggest bargain...with the obvious exception of taxes. That house you posted there would, depending on the lot size and amount of features it comes with....go for about $140-$170k. Henrietta has the "lowest" taxes in Monroe County, so that would probably have taxes between 3500-4500. We get more house for our money in Rochester and upstate for sure and much more housing options (most people here buy thier first house in the 80k range when they are either still in college or just graduate....or by the time they are 25 if they forgo college) BUT we get taxed at much higher rates than you. $600k will get you a mansion up here...but the taxes on a $600k house would be upward of 15-20k. Now do you see why we want to split off from NYS so bad?

My sister is in B'Ville.

She gets hammered on taxes (7k)considering the value of her home (135k)

crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Crooks the Ryan homes you posted were priced right. That home on LI would be $400+ brand new. Thats what happened to the 1100 sq. ft. starter!

Rocs

I think we could see that starter ranch for mid 2s in Brookhaven and Riverhead.

crooks

Old 12-23-2008, 10:20 PM

518 posts, read 1,822,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Rocs

I think we could see that starter ranch for mid 2s in Brookhaven and Riverhead.

crooks
or any town with a significant minority population...

Old 12-23-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
or any town with a significant minority population...
Not necessarily.

The markets back to 2002 levels.

Brentwood/CI would prolly be less.

Mid 2s about right.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:59 PM

518 posts, read 1,822,865 times
Quote:
Not necessarily.

The markets back to 2002 levels.

Brentwood/CI would prolly be less.

Mid 2s about right.
theres TONS of homes listed for under 275k in brentwood, ci, bayshore, amityville, wyandanch, hempstead, roosevelt, uniondale, coram, gordon heights, bellport, shirley, mastic, sound beach, rocky point... also still a good amount in ronkonkoma, patchogue, medford, port jeff, huntington station, selden, centereach, farmingville, lindenhurst, copiague, riverhead... you can find something for under 275k easily in any of those places, and truth is, most of them have a significant or majority or minority population..

and on a side note, a good portion of the properties under that range in riverhead, are mobile homes

Old 12-23-2008, 11:25 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,331,583 times
Sound Beach, Rocky Point, Centereach, and Ronkonkoma dont have significant "minority population". In fact they are pretty darn nice areas to live in, so it's good that some one can get a starter home in a decent area.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,763,174 times
Quote:
Yes you could.

Id love to see more cottage courts on LI like they have in Cali.

I think theyd get snapped up.

crooks
I've been bending some political ear on LI in an effort to create affordable living in modest size homes in an effort to retain young singles and couples on LI.

These cottage courts are absolutely adorable and create a sense of community amongst the residents who live within them. Properly zoned and situated, they can house retirees as well.

A well planned, environmentally friendly, attractive cottage court of green buildings situated a reasonable distance from the LIRR, shopping and other desirable amenities might enable residents to use their feet or bicycles to get around, too. The structures would cost less to heat, use less electricity, and set an example for the rest of us as to the benefits economically and environmentally to living on a smaller scale.

Save the current larger housing stock for families looking to trade up; and create new construction jobs by razing older mid 20th century development housing and building green cottage communities.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:51 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,763,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I see you posted some real estate from my neck of the woods up here in Rochester. We have probably one of the most diverse housing stocks up here for the biggest bargain...with the obvious exception of taxes. That house you posted there would, depending on the lot size and amount of features it comes with....go for about $140-$170k. Henrietta has the "lowest" taxes in Monroe County, so that would probably have taxes between 3500-4500. We get more house for our money in Rochester and upstate for sure and much more housing options (most people here buy thier first house in the 80k range when they are either still in college or just graduate....or by the time they are 25 if they forgo college) BUT we get taxed at much higher rates than you. $600k will get you a mansion up here...but the taxes on a $600k house would be upward of 15-20k. Now do you see why we want to split off from NYS so bad?
Houses in my neighborhood at the 600K range are paying upwards of $15K. Newer homes (1960's and later) are taxed much higher than older ones. Prices are coming down, but the taxes aren't as school budgets continue to increase.

Rochester, being one of the "Big Five' Cities in terms of NYS DOE and receiving state aid, must be impacted more by state taxes as opposed to school taxes?

Old 12-24-2008, 12:13 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,188,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Purchased 7/29/05 for $320,000. According to the listing, it looks like it needed work.

Looks like it was then renovated and put back on the market:

Listed 10/4/05 @ $415,000
Expired 1/4/06

Listed 1/18/06 @ $399,990
Expired 4/30/06

Listed 5/14/08 (maybe rented out 06-08?) @ $369,000
Expired 11/14/08

Listed 11/15/08 @ 349,000
Had a look at this listing and at Public Records; interesting, the sales price to the Seller was $320,000, but the "official" purchase price for the Buyer was $339,200, which would indicate that there was a 6% Seller's concession. (Fairly common practice during a rising market to enable marginal buyers to get a mortgage; higher price more often than not passed appraisal standards due to rising prices.)

Also, the owners are now on their 4th listing RE agent. Could be they hire whoever recommends the highest listing price

The original mortgage was listed at $308,000; maybe they got a small HELOC, they're not always posted... Getting close to a potential Short Sale!

Old 12-24-2008, 02:58 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,521,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
theres plenty of starter homes for 300k and under, and you sure as hell dont need a $200k income to afford a 250-300k house. thats the problem here, people still want to try to have the best, even if its a starter home. the whole IDEA of a STARTER home, is that its not going to be the best house, probably going to need updating and some work, and probably wont be in your favorite "upscale/rich" neigborhood. Youre right though, if i was making $200k a year i wouldnt be looking for something "slightly updated", nor would i be looking for a "starter home". the people making under 80K are the ones in the "starter home" market
I agree with this completely, I think a lot of people are still just totally unrealistic about what a "starter home" should be. Maybe not a huge selection under $300k yet in Nassau, but definitely under $350k and I'd assume much cheaper in Suffolk. My generation is the one that is currently the market for these homes and I see it all the time. Everybody wants big and brand new to match the Lexus or BMW (that they can't afford payments on) once they move up from their $2,000/month 1BR in Long Beach, Williamsburg or Forest Hills. If you've got the means and the job security, the next year or two should be creating tons of opportunities for people who would have had no chance at affording LI even 10 months ago.

I dunno if you or somebody else said it, but there definitely isn't the room to build large scale housing developments in Nassau anymore....but is that a blessing or a curse? I say it's a positive, as that type of housing is already plentiful and cheaper than new. I'm looking at MLSLI.com right now and these houses are literally everywhere. They're not new ranches, but there is no shortage of prewar colonials on 40x100 or so lots. Yes, there are definitely some advantages to having everything new, but most of these older homes (in Nassau) that have actually been lived in have been updated out the wazoo. "Needs work" does not mean cosmetics to me, none of them look like they're about to collapse into their foundations.....and buying older means you reap the benefits of significantly lower taxes. Just get a professional inspection done and you're good to go, I'm sure plenty of these old homes will outlast most stuff built this year anyway!

I'd personally much rather be cozy in North Bellmore....

....than carpetbaggin' in North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island