Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What style house do you want?
Cape 3 6.98%
Colonial (either traditional or post-modern) 12 27.91%
Contemporary 0 0%
Cottage or Bungalow 1 2.33%
Craftsman 4 9.30%
Farm Ranch 1 2.33%
Highranch 0 0%
Ranch (true; all rooms on main level) 7 16.28%
Splanch 1 2.33%
Split 1 2.33%
Tudor 3 6.98%
Victorian 7 16.28%
Vintage (built before 1930) 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:05 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,605,031 times

Advertisements

Just curious to see what the current house-style "trends" may be for Long Island house-hunters nowadays. If you're currently househunting, what style are you looking for? Or if you're not actively looking, what style would you want if you were in the market right now?

If you're flexible as to particular style, please choose the one style that most appeals to you.

I made Farm Ranch a separate category because there are buyers who are looking only for a house with everything on one level (for handicap access, for example) and a Farm Ranch doesn't qualify for that because usually 2 of the 3 or 4 bedrooms, plus one of the baths, is on the 2nd floor.

There's also a separate category for Vintage because I know that old-house lovers are a breed apart and also some of the golden oldies defy architectural classification because they've been added to over their many years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 09:40 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,187,349 times
Please tell me the McVictorian thing is finally over.
God those effin things are cheesy

If youre going to buy a Victorian....get a real one.
They are the housing equivalent of SPAM.

crooks

Old 12-29-2008, 09:44 AM

189 posts, read 633,313 times
I'll take any house that doesn't have fucco.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:50 AM

1,227 posts, read 2,065,985 times
I'd buy a ranch for health issues, but I've always loved Victorian homes.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:11 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,605,031 times
I think it's interesting that so far, the favored house styles aren't all the ones that seem to be ubiqitous: namely, the highranch and the cape. The cape, especially, in Nassau County (a Levitt legacy?); the highranch seems to have the edge in Suffolk although I see tons of them in both counties.

Colonial, not surprising; the true ranch, a little surprising considering that ranches are often considered to be unfairly taxed (I agree) because of their footprint, and definitely more expensive to build than a 2-story style.

IMO there aren't enough true ranches on LI in a wide enough range of sizes. Where does everyone expect us Baby Boomers to live when we're in our 70s, 80s, and 90s? Not everyone wants to migrate south like a bunch of graying lemmings, nor to live in a retirement village where we have little space and no privacy or peace and quiet. Two-story homes become increasingly impractical the older one gets. There is of course the option of installing a stairlift (currently ranging from $5000-$8000) but the layout has to accommodate that. We've seen a lot of colonials whose top or bottom stair landings simply don't have enough space for the resting "chair" to sit, even when folded up, because one or both hallways are just too narrow.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:23 PM

893 posts, read 2,866,488 times
For me it would be a Colonial. But I also like the houses in the sprawl or Arizona and California suburbs.

California

Las Vegas

Old 12-30-2008, 02:37 PM

510 posts, read 2,208,507 times
I currently live in an expanded cape, but would like to buy a SPlit, or a Splanch

Old 12-30-2008, 03:49 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,518,180 times
Top of my list would be Victorian, Tudor, Colonial (traditional), Craftsman/Bungalow or "vintage" if by vintage you mean one of those narrow two story homes with an either enclosed or open porch on the front/back usually with a detached garage on a similarly narrow property. I like big (true) ranches as well but they don't quite make the top of my list...they'd be in the next tier with Capes and Splits, both of which I'm very neutral on. Splanch, high ranch and basically anything else built since the 70s can take a hike. I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of new architecture, I just think most of it sucks and is boring or cheesy.

If I really had any choice, I would live in the firehouse from the Ghostbusters movies.

Last edited by sean sean sean sean; 12-30-2008 at 04:12 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 04:29 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,187,349 times
[quote=sean sean sean sean;6766148]Top of my list would be Victorian, Tudor, Colonial (traditional), Craftsman/Bungalow or "vintage" if by vintage you mean one of those narrow two story homes with an either enclosed or open porch on the front/back usually with a detached garage on a similarly narrow property. I like big (true) ranches as well but they don't quite make the top of my list...they'd be in the next tier with Capes and Splits, both of which I'm very neutral on. Splanch, high ranch and basically anything else built since the 70s can take a hike. I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of new architecture, I just think most of it sucks and is boring or cheesy.

If I really had any choice, I would live in the firehouse from the Ghostbusters movies.

[/qu

No No Sean

Hows about 1313 Mockingbird lane

I agree on the Cratsman Bungalows.
Love em.

crooks

Old 12-30-2008, 04:31 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,871,919 times
a Nice Mediterranean in FL would be my choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island