Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:14 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,376 times

Advertisements

Wal Mart is Deliverance with shopping carts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 07:28 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Wal Mart is Deliverance with shopping carts.

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal

Old 12-31-2008, 08:30 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,915 times
Walmart, Target they are all the same. The stuff is all made in the same slave labor factories in China. Don't fool yourself into thinking that one is somehow better than the other. It's all marketing and media B.S. that make you think so.

I saw a program on PBS a few years back where the same factory produced goods for Wal-mart, Kohls, Macy's, the Gap and Abercrombie and Fitch. They dumped their raw waste right into the river out back!

Certain basic items are cheaper at Wal-mart and I go there to buy them (diapers, pediasure, certain food and paper products, cat food, etc.). Other items like clothes I may go to more expensive store because Wal-mart doesn't have the quality or designs I'm looking for (though I have bought some clothes at Wal-mart before and was presently surprised on how long they lasted and that no one had a clue that the clothes were from Wal-mart!)

My point is that if you are avoiding Wal-Mart because you think you are being socially responsible you are being deceived. The others have just as bad labor and environmental practices, it's just that Wal-mart is bigger so it gets more attention. Yes, the clientèle is more lower class at Wal-mart but so what? Are people so insecure that they might be "caught" shopping at Wal-mart by their neighbors? Only in Long Island

Old 12-31-2008, 09:11 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,437 times
I've only been in a Wal-Mart twice (doing a favor by buying a specific item for a housebound friend) and both times my impression was one of disgust. And I'm not only talking about the people, I mean the lack of cleanliness and the sense that I was in some kind of "discards warehouse". Ugh.

The third time my friend asked me if I could get something for her at Wal-Mart, I bought the same thing elsewhere, paid the difference in price myself, and explained to her that I was sorry but I just couldn't stand going into one of those stores again just for the sake of a few dollars. It was also costing me more in gas to go to the Wal-mart for her than it would have been to get the same thing in the nearby Target!

I don't avoid WalMart for anything other than its disgusting "ambience" and the general shoddy quality of the items they sell. At least the Target Greatland store that I frequent is clean, and the merchandise doesn't make me wonder if it's either been there forever or is one step away from being a factory reject. But to be honest the only thing I regularly buy at Target is the Balance Bars which my SO eats. They're much cheaper there than at Vitamin Shoppe where he used to get them.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:12 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Isnt almost everything made in China these days? Spend some time and look at the labels on things you buy sometime. 90% is made in China. The U.S. has no manufacturing plants anymore. Its really sad and thats why our economy will continue to hurt!

Old 12-31-2008, 10:32 AM

8,815 posts, read 21,280,851 times
I'm disappointed that you can't find a WalMart Supercenter on the island with full service food.

I am, too. Outside of Long Island, many areas have immaculate Walmarts with excellent produce & supermarket things for really bargain prices. The aisles are wide and they have free samples ala Stu Leonard's . Very different from our cheesy Walmarts. There are Super-Targets which are similiar, but even nicer as Targets always are.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-31-2008, 12:14 PM

732 posts, read 1,735,105 times
Long Island, for the most part, is pretty pathetic with supermarkets. Stop & Shop and Shoprite are okay, Waldbaums and King Kullen are terrible (unless you happen to be lucky enough to be near a big Waldbaums), and Pathmark is hit and miss depending on your local one. There's a few decent independent ones (Fairway and Giuseppe's), but something like what Wegmans is upstate would do big business down here.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:33 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Isnt almost everything made in China these days? Spend some time and look at the labels on things you buy sometime. 90% is made in China. The U.S. has no manufacturing plants anymore. Its really sad and thats why our economy will continue to hurt!
this is exactly why our economy is where we are now. all of the jobs for manufacturing are overseas. we NEED to start manufacturing again. put an end to chinas crap.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:53 PM

249 posts, read 515,126 times
Just what we need on the island is another damn store. Stop being lazy and go to the one in Central Islip,...er, i mean "Islandia". Oh, did someone mention more condos? Yay !! .....can't wait to move outta here.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:59 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
I always shop at Wal Mart. Their prices are much, much lower than any other store and I can get everything I need in one trip.

I don't see a Target and a Wal Mart in one town as being redundant. In Farmingdale, there's Target on Route 110 and, right down the block, there's a Wal Mart.

Funny thing about Wal Mart....... people always gripe and complain about Wal Mart but their huge parking lot is always jam packed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island