Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:27 PM

26 posts, read 47,804 times

Advertisements

I work in IT and have been out in Phoenix for the last 10 years. I'm tired of Phoenix's 120° heat and I'm tired of west coast life so I have decided to try it out East in the NYC area (within 60 miles or so).

Ultimately I'd like to live in NY state for the reason of finishing school. I need to work full time so an online school is going to be the best option for me. A friend told me about Empire State College which is a SUNY school and will take ALL of my 72 transferred credit hours from the University of Arizona.

This leaves only two areas for me: Westchester county or Long Island.

I'm 28, single male, don't have any kids, but I do have a medium sized dog so I'm looking for more a room for rent in a house than an apartment. I've been checking Craigslist and there are plenty of vacancies but there are too many for me to make heads or tails as an out-of-stater.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 09:39 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,962 times
go to westchester. lol

Old 01-14-2009, 09:48 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karltheninja View Post
I

This leaves only two areas for me: Westchester county or Long Island.

I'm 28, single male, don't have any kids, but I do have a medium sized dog so I'm looking for more a room for rent in a house than an apartment. I've been checking Craigslist and there are plenty of vacancies but there are too many for me to make heads or tails as an out-of-stater.

Any suggestions?
Room rentals (as in house share) are not plentiful on L.I. and with a dog--I don't see it...
A few areas have boarding houses, where you can rent a private room; maybe there you could have a dog.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit
go to westchester. lol
Again I'm from out of state so why you'd be laughing means jack to me. Please explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti
Room rentals (as in house share) are not plentiful on L.I. and with a dog--I don't see it...
A few areas have boarding houses, where you can rent a private room; maybe there you could have a dog.
Would you recommend something besides a house share?

Thx

Last edited by karltheninja; 01-14-2009 at 10:33 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Again I'm from out of state so why you'd be laughing means jack to me. Please explain.

Would you recommend something besides a house share?

Thx

I wasn't laughing...

As I mentioned, a few areas have boarding houses where you could rent a private room (with bathroom). Maybe a dog would be allowed, I'm not sure.
Otherwise a small (studio) apartment, but again, pets seriously limit the availability of any rentals. Of course "limit" doesn't mean impossible, just more difficult.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I wasn't laughing...

As I mentioned, a few areas have boarding houses where you could rent a private room (with bathroom). Maybe a dog would be allowed, I'm not sure.
Otherwise a small (studio) apartment, but again, pets seriously limit the availability of any rentals. Of course "limit" doesn't mean impossible, just more difficult.
I'm sorry I wasn't referring to your laughing; you clearly were not. That specific statement was pointed at TeamExit. I appreciate your feedback Ms Mariotti. Any idea on a good price range for a studio and 1BR toward the middle of the island?

Last edited by karltheninja; 01-14-2009 at 10:38 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry I wasn't referring to your laughing; you clearly were not. That specific statement was pointed at TeamExit. I appreciate your feedback Ms Mariotti. Any idea on a good price range for a studio and 1BR toward the middle of the island?
before I can answer that, what do you consider "middle of the island"?
Obviously Suffolk County (I think ), but how far East in Suffolk County? It has an impact on price. Are you familiar with names of towns?

Old 01-14-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
before I can answer that, what do you consider "middle of the island"?
Obviously Suffolk County (I think ), but how far East in Suffolk County? It has an impact on price. Are you familiar with names of towns?
I'm in IT. Google maps is my best friend.

Brentwood seems like the middle of the island, but it doesn't necessarily have to be in Brentwood. I know I just don't want to be way out East in the Hamptons and the West side of the island in Brooklyn and Queens is too densely populated. I'd refer to the "middle" of LI as the middle third. Let me know if you need anymore info.

Thx

Old 01-14-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I'm in IT. Google maps is my best friend.

Brentwood seems like the middle of the island, but it doesn't necessarily have to be in Brentwood. I know I just don't want to be way out East in the Hamptons and the West side of the island in Brooklyn and Queens is too densely populated. I'd refer to the "middle" of LI as the middle third. Let me know if you need anymore info.

Thx
What DON"T you want in a neighborhood?
Coming from Phoenix, I'm assuming traveling by car is all you need? (no public transportation...)

Old 01-14-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
What DON'T you want in a neighborhood?
Coming from Phoenix, I'm assuming traveling by car is all you need? (no public transportation...)
I'm low maintenance. Car or public transportation is fine. All I need is a place to live, and preferably a yard which is why I wanted to rent a room from a house. I've had my dog in a 2 bedroom condo and had to walk him in the community areas which worked out fine but a yard is always preferable.

Demographics don't really matter to me...I get along with most people. Like almost everyone I'd rather be in a space where crime is low. I just started my own business so I'd only be looking for a year and a half max before I'm going to be looking at buying instead of renting...especially with the housing market the way it is now. I'd like to keep it more upscale if possible, but don't want to spend more than $1500/month on rent. The cheaper the better for now. The more money I have leftover, the more money I have left to invest in the business.

Last edited by karltheninja; 01-14-2009 at 11:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island