Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 02:08 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I have 2 IO boxes, my kids tv's are just hooked up to the coax feed, so they only get certain channels through the low 100's I believe. They get the important stuff though, like cartoon network, nickeloden, disney, TNT, TBS, all that type of stuff.

I'm paying just under $150 for Cable, FIOS is I think 94.99 right now? but with 4 boxes, plus the misc taxes and fees it's gonna end up being around the same money.
Isn't that only a promotional rate and FIOS will go up in 1 year? Plus remember that Verizon makes you sign a contract and if you end their service before the contract is up, they charge around $200.

If I were you I would do what the other poster said and get an appt. confirmation number from Verizon and call Cablevision and see if they will give you the triple play again.

Another idea is to cancel your service with Cablevision under the current name and take it out again as a "new customer" eligible for the triple play in another name. So the bill is in your name now, cancel that and have them open one in your wife's name. The only annoying things that will happen is you cannot keep the same phone number and the same email addresses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 02:16 PM

149 posts, read 525,269 times
Cool For Verizon folks...$79.99

I recently dumped my Verizon phone and dsl (non Fios) and when I checked online for my final bill I saw a $79.99 plan for triple service if ordered online. Fios, Dish and phone. Was going to get Optimum 3 play for new place but will see if I can get a dish; don't know if Verizon uses Dishnetwork or Direct TV.

Anyone else receive the mailings from Cablevision/Optimum for 2yrs for triple play?

Old 02-05-2009, 02:23 PM

75 posts, read 312,522 times
We just switched to Direct TV - LOVING the free DVR and we have so many more channels now!!!! We didn't need the home phone because we all have cell phones anyway.

I called Cablevision and told them I wanted to cancel in favor of Direct TV and they offered me nothing to stay. About a month after I switched, a Cablevision Rep came to my house asking if we were happy with our service. His paperwork wasn't yet updated to show we had canceled the TV and phone service. I explained that we switched to Direct TV recently and he offered to renew our triple play at $99/month. Too little, too late - he even said he would look into picking up the cancellation fee with Direct TV but I said NO THANKS!

Be persistent and call until you get the right person - I bet they give you the triple play price again!

Old 02-05-2009, 04:49 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I'm about to be clipped anyday now. I just got so fed up I stopped paying, and also due to money being tight right now, a TV and computer are last on the essentials of life list.

Anyway, has anybody had any real success trying to beat them out of a few bucks a months with the threat of going to FIOS or the like?
I'm really thinking of switching over, even if the FIOS isn't the second coming, at least I can save a few bucks for the time being.

I think I'm paying around $150 a month for the bare bones stuff with Cablevision...Computer, phone, and the cheapest tv package that includes some of my favorite channels like Disc, Sci-Fi, Speed, etc...
I have no movie channels like HBO etc...No premium crap or HD etc...

Just curious if threats work or not. And to what degree.
If they can bring my current package in line with FIOS, maybe I'd stay.
A one time $25 credit wont due, nor will $3 a month off my bill.

Karl,

Here's the deal. You're going to get disconnected for non payment. They'll give you a short time (maybe a few days) to pay up. If not, they will manually disconnect your servive from the pole. After that, they'll give you a couple of weeks to pay up and, if you dont' pay in full, they'll send your account to an outside collection agency. They have several and they are ruthless. You can ignore their letters and phone calls if you choose to. However, they WILL report you to all 3 credit bureaus and it will remain on your report for at least 7 years. Even if you pay it, it will be on there (just with the addendum that it's now paid).

Your best bet right now is to pay what you owe in full (they don't do payment plans) and then threaten to go to a new provider. They'll give you the triple play deal. Tell them you love the service but such and such company offered you a better deal and you're thinking of switching to them. Once you tell them you're leaving, they'll do whatever they can to keep you.

Good luck!!!!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:08 PM

453 posts, read 1,536,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplrr View Post
Make an appointment w/ Verizon & get a confirmation #. Then call Cablevision's Disconnect Dep't (800-918-2581) and tell them that you have an appointment to switch over to Fios. When I called, they asked if I had a confirmation # from Fios, which I did, and then he told me he could give me the promo price again for 1 year, which was OK, but then he started to rattle off a bunch of stuff he could also give me free for 1 year if I stayed. So in the end I got Free HBO/Starz/Encore, HBO On Demand, free DVR & Optimum Online Boost all for about $110/mo. I was reluctant to switch to Fios anyway since I didn't want to have to have a box for every TV, but was willing to give them a shot to save a substantial amount of $$. Unless Fios blows me away with an even better offer, I'll stick with Cablevision until this promo ends and see what they'll give me next time I threaten to leave.
We did this same thing with Dish Network...

Old 02-05-2009, 09:10 PM

549 posts, read 2,194,679 times
How do you get CV to stop coming to your house to get you to switch back?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:26 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onrway2clt View Post
How do you get CV to stop coming to your house to get you to switch back?

Get a "no solicitors" sign and a couple of pit bulls. .

Seriously, though. If they're actually bothering you that much, you should put it IN WRITING to their sales department that you demand they STOP their field salespeople from coming to your home. Threaten to sue. That will stop them.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:22 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,185 times
Came across this interesting, CV story on a "google"...

Cablevision Incorrectly Listed as Madoff "Client"
  • Thursday February 5, 2009, 5:32 pm EST BETHPAGE, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--
  • Cablevision Systems Corporation’s (NYSE: CVC - News) treasury department was among the thousands of names included on a Madoff “client” list released yesterday. The company today issued the following statement:
“Cablevision Systems Corporation has no investments with any of Bernard Madoff's funds and is not aware of any previous investments. Accordingly, Cablevision believes it should not have been included on any Madoff client list.”

Cablevision Systems Corporation is one of the nation’s leading entertainment, media and telecommunications companies. In addition to its cable, Internet, and voice offerings, the company owns and operates Rainbow Media Holdings LLC and its networks; Madison Square Garden and its teams; Clearview Cinemas; and Newsday Media Group. The company also operates New York's famed Radio City Music Hall, the Beacon Theatre, and the Chicago Theatre. Additional information about Cablevision Systems Corporation is available on the Web at www.cablevision.com.

Cablevision Incorrectly Listed as Madoff "Client" - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Cablevision-Incorrectly-bw-14272658.html - broken link)

Old 02-06-2009, 06:08 AM

347 posts, read 1,352,309 times
This thread describes exactly what I do not like about Cablevision. People seem to get different deals every time they call up and threaten to cancel. The best I was able to do when I threatened to switch to DirecTV was $20 off my total bill for 12 months. There was nothing else they were willing to do for me. I complained to them that, as an early adopter, I was never eligible for a Triple Play promotion, because I got each service as it came out (i.e. before there were 3 services). This always irked me that I was signing up for all the latest and greatest stuff and the people who waited were able to get it all for $99. Well, I finally got my deal on FIOS and, based on everything I have heard thus far, Verizon lets you keep the same pricing when you renew after the year contract is up (we will see what happens). Sorry Cablevision.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:54 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemoll View Post
I recently dumped my Verizon phone and dsl (non Fios) and when I checked online for my final bill I saw a $79.99 plan for triple service if ordered online. Fios, Dish and phone. Was going to get Optimum 3 play for new place but will see if I can get a dish; don't know if Verizon uses Dishnetwork or Direct TV.

Anyone else receive the mailings from Cablevision/Optimum for 2yrs for triple play?
Verizon uses DirecTV, that's the plan that I have since. I have the lowest internet speed, basic dish service and local/long distance phone for about $100/mo after taxes and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island