Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:16 AM

28 posts, read 112,200 times

Advertisements

My husband works in publishing in NYC and there are constant layoffs. We never feel safe. They go through a round of maybe 10 or so, then a couple of months later there is another round. We are afraid to spend anything because you always wonder, am I next? They recently announced at his company that there is a wage freeze and they are eliminating the pension plan. We have kids, one of whom has health problems and is hospitalized every now and then. That's the really scary part. We desperately need the health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 10:19 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
I just found out from a friend I used to work with that her husband was just laid off. Really nice family, 2 young kids. She earns a good salary, so they should be ok on austerity, but that one really hit close....

Old 03-20-2009, 11:33 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfaz13 View Post
My husband works in publishing in NYC and there are constant layoffs. We never feel safe. They go through a round of maybe 10 or so, then a couple of months later there is another round. We are afraid to spend anything because you always wonder, am I next? They recently announced at his company that there is a wage freeze and they are eliminating the pension plan. We have kids, one of whom has health problems and is hospitalized every now and then. That's the really scary part. We desperately need the health insurance.
Check the NY govt. institutions/plans.... I think they help out the kids who do not have any insurance.... not sure what it called though.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:34 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I just found out from a friend I used to work with that her husband was just laid off. Really nice family, 2 young kids. She earns a good salary, so they should be ok on austerity, but that one really hit close....
I heard this on TV today in the morning that more males have been laid off compared to females % wise....

Old 03-20-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I heard this on TV today in the morning that more males have been laid off compared to females % wise....
That makes sense considering the Finance industry is so male dominated.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:48 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
I heard through the grapevine(current teachers), that schools, Kings Park in particular are cutting 2 kindergarten classes and a special ed class just at the elementary level.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:20 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
That makes sense considering the Finance industry is so male dominated.
Truth be told, it also has a lot to do with the fact that the only "unprotected" class of employee according to the EEOC are white males under 40. (And so we are clear, this is an employment law thing, before one of the Limbaugh drones hijacks the thread with rants about how unfair that is, blah blah blah. Has been that way for decades.)

So as a company, when you are considering a percentage layoff of a workforce, you look VERY closely at the categories that the employees your are laying off fall into to make sure it is not seen as "disparate impact" or biased in any way. The one person you rarely have to worry about getting sued from is the white male under 40, so they rarely come off of management's first list of reductions.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Truth be told, it also has a lot to do with the fact that the only "unprotected" class of employee according to the EEOC are white males under 40. (And so we are clear, this is an employment law thing, before one of the Limbaugh drones hijacks the thread with rants about how unfair that is, blah blah blah. Has been that way for decades.)

So as a company, when you are considering a percentage layoff of a workforce, you look VERY closely at the categories that the employees your are laying off fall into to make sure it is not seen as "disparate impact" or biased in any way. The one person you rarely have to worry about getting sued from is the white male under 40, so they rarely come off of management's first list of reductions.
Interesting. It does look like good fodder for anti-liberal political propaganda. The truth is..if you disproportionately target certain demographics..that's kinda unfair, historical context of sticking it to whitey/the man aside. Of course, Limbaugh and company never had a problem with hedge fund managers (all white males) making billions while destroying companies with naked short selling, but I digress...

..I feel terrible for anyone losing their job in this climate. I already have an austerity budget worked up in case I lose my job.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:48 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
The...ahem..."infrastructure"....experts, generally, say, that what's going to happen is, there will be wholesale firings, AND hirings of "less expensive" replacements. Also the retirement ages, will be...extended to a later age. Benefits cut or completely eliminated.

THIS, as a result of the burgeoning number of retirees, and people living longer.

Hmmmmmmm, food for thought.
They cant hire illegals to teach....or can they?

As far as schools go (or any company for that matter) those that make the most should have their salary reduced, layoffs should be avoided at all costs, but sadly, most places just would rather layoff than cut salaries at the top.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:52 PM

172 posts, read 719,032 times
i think this is going to kill the buying season for housing. ppl are scared because they might not have a job when they wake up the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: