Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your nitty-gritty feeling about LI
Overall, the positives outweigh the negatives; I'm staying, or relocating, here by choice 33 41.77%
I wish I could stay, or relocate, here; but other factors dictate that I can't 2 2.53%
Overall, the negatives outweigh the positives and I'd like to leave; but other factors are keeping me 'stuck' here 14 17.72%
Negatives outweigh the positives; I'm definitely leaving within the next 5 years 16 20.25%
I'm constantly conflicted! Some days I love LI, other days I hate it. 14 17.72%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 07:34 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,606,830 times

Advertisements

Let's leave all the endless discussions/whines/rants over details aside and get down to the nitty-gritty opinion: When all is said and done, all factors (whatever they may be) weighed, pros and cons taken into account... OVERALL, how do you really feel about Long Island in the most basic sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 07:39 AM

6,385 posts, read 13,179,306 times
Over priced, over taxed & over congested. But great in the summer months & relatively safe!

To be honest I dont know if I will stay or leave when I sell my condo. The thought of being mortgage free is extremely tempting at a relatively young age! Finding a job elsewhere is not an issue.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:41 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,685,627 times
We hate it in the Winter, then love it again in the Summer.

But I have so many options on restaurants, entertainment, nature, culture, it's hard to beat, even though I agree with rocafeller on the taxes and congestion.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:44 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,606,830 times
I just added the poll while you two were posting so if you could go back and vote in it, that'd be great!

Hopefully this thread will focus mostly on the poll and not turn into a whine/bash/rant fest like so many others seem to be doing lately...

Old 03-27-2009, 07:48 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,685,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
I just added the poll while you two were posting so if you could go back and vote in it, that'd be great!

Hopefully this thread will focus mostly on the poll and not turn into a whine/bash/rant fest like so many others seem to be doing lately...
I'm definitely in the love/hate camp! As much as people complain, LI is a very unique place, and it's hard to find a place with similar access to as many things as we have access to every day.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:16 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,406,446 times
There are some wonderful things about LI, but I don't have time to enjoy them because I'm working my tush off trying to make ends meet. Every time I get close, someone moves one of the ends! I'm tired of everything being just out of reach all the time. I have some equity in my house, and it could be a huge down payment somewhere else so I'd have a minimal mortgage that I could probably pay in 10-15years and be mortgage free. I'd like to enjoy my life and due to finances and my singleness (by choice), I just can't get to that point here. Besides, my family is talking about leaving upon retirement, because their dollars will go so much further somewhere else.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:27 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,818,325 times
Some days I love Long island. I love my house, love the school the kids go to, love the opportunities here, love the fact that we are near enough to a huge city, but yet far enough away to be in the country. Love the closeness to the water, love the fact that JFK is nearby (go across the pond 1-2 times a year).

But i dont like my neighbour for reporting our basement ; he was wrong, we didnt have a tenant. Hate the loudness and brashness of some people, dont like the fact that a lot of people dont want to take responsibility for things, common sense seems to be a thing of the past.

d

Old 03-27-2009, 08:28 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,960,063 times
It's too late for me I already left 3 months ago So glad I did

Old 03-27-2009, 09:24 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,406,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
But i dont like my neighbour for reporting our basement ; he was wrong, we didnt have a tenant. Hate the loudness and brashness of some people, dont like the fact that a lot of people dont want to take responsibility for things, common sense seems to be a thing of the past.

d
Common sense is no longer that common and I think that's an all over thing. Also the lack of responsibility thing seems to be common in my generation. Makes me ashamed sometimes. Maybe because I was raised by my grandparents, I have a different view of things. My Great Aunt, who lived with us, used to tell me stories of coming to America as a child and how wonderful it was to be here because she had the opportunity to make something of her life. Now so many people take it for granted and feel the world owes them a living and a handout. I hate it.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:52 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,911,155 times
Always conflicted. Schools / proximity of city are pluses while the $1k/month+ taxes we'll likely take on for our next home here (thinking of the kids) are ridiculous.

I grew up here and haven't really lived anywhere else but people's opinions make it sound like LI is already one of the best places to live so that keeps me swaying toward the positive side. Sometimes I want to leave to enjoy the value of the dollar more but I fear I'll be left missing a lot compared to here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island