Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Cablevision ruined Newsday?
Yes. It is worse under Cablevision than it has ever been before. 17 77.27%
No. It is about the same. 5 22.73%
No. Cablevision has improved Newsday. 0 0%
I am not sure. 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:32 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,371,078 times

Advertisements

Here is an eye-opening expose about the troubles Newsday is having under Cablevision rule:

How Cablevision Is Destroying Newsday | Long Island Press

One thing I hate:

Quote:
Staffers were upset, and are still scratching their heads, says Dowdy, over a particular big-name hire announced during a time when employees were being pressed for pay cuts and other hefty concessions.

Tom Suozzi, the former Nassau County Executive and one-time New York State (NYS) gubernatorial candidate, joined Cablevision’s payroll in January, hired as a consultant to its Local Media Group, according to an internal memo dated Jan. 11 from Cablevision Local Media President Tad Smith to staffers.
They are trying to make their employees accept paycuts of around 10% because of how poorly Newsday is performing financially, yet somehow came up with the money (and I am sure is is in the 7 figures) to make a mercy hire of their big pal, Suozzi! What does HE know about producing media? Disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 05:41 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,208,713 times
Trash

I dont know why Newsday doesent get it.

Local local local.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:41 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,254,322 times
I am someone that loves reading the paper first thing in the AM on the weekend, on the train or while I am eating my lunch. I had been a Newsday reader since I was a kid, even had the paper route for a few years back when it was OK to get your paper in the afternoon (imagine that?!?) and I have had it delivered to me forever - I canceled it about 2 months ago. I cant say I noticed a big decline though it seemed there was a lot more AP articles in there. I think they are out of their minds trying to charge $1.00 at newsstands.

I will admit that I do miss the more local coverage you get there but I havent missed it that much. I enjoy the LI Press and read it almost every week.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I am someone that loves reading the paper first thing in the AM on the weekend, on the train or while I am eating my lunch. I had been a Newsday reader since I was a kid, even had the paper route for a few years back when it was OK to get your paper in the afternoon (imagine that?!?) and I have had it delivered to me forever - I canceled it about 2 months ago. I cant say I noticed a big decline though it seemed there was a lot more AP articles in there. I think they are out of their minds trying to charge $1.00 at newsstands.

I will admit that I do miss the more local coverage you get there but I havent missed it that much. I enjoy the LI Press and read it almost every week.
Someone pointed out to me that he would have News 12 on TV in the morning, plus have his Newsday at breakfast time, and he started realizing the stories on News 12 and the stories in Newsday were almost identical! Like they made scripts out of the Newsday stories or made Newsday stories out of the News 12 scripts. So he chose just watching News 12 instead of having Newsday delivered every morning also.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:47 PM

217 posts, read 255,841 times
Cablevision is just about the worst company around. The dolans have been raping LI for the longest time and I'm just glad FIOS is available as an alternative. As soon as the Dolans sell Newsday, I'll subscribe again.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,254,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Someone pointed out to me that he would have News 12 on TV in the morning, plus have his Newsday at breakfast time, and he started realizing the stories on News 12 and the stories in Newsday were almost identical! Like they made scripts out of the Newsday stories or made Newsday stories out of the News 12 scripts. So he chose just watching News 12 instead of having Newsday delivered every morning also.
My wife will miss News12 when we switch to FIOS, I was never a huge fan myself but I bet that person is correct.

Running the Knicks into the ground, handling the team like a little boy and his toy, was what began my hate affair with Dolan. I am sure he could care less.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:09 PM

939 posts, read 2,686,900 times
This is a silly post. What have to Dolan's done to benefit anyone but themselves in the last 8- 10 years? I live 850 miles away and even I know they are raping and pilfering LI.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:11 PM

939 posts, read 2,315,565 times
not only is the news paper a piece of crap... the website has gone to sh1t - it's unusable, as is the exploreli website

Old 03-08-2010, 07:22 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,123,751 times
I can't get over that you have to pay to view the Newsday website.

I think that's the first newspaper's website I've ever seen where they charge you to view content.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
not only is the news paper a piece of crap... the website has gone to sh1t - it's unusable, as is the exploreli website
I agree that the revamp of their website turned out horrible! There is only 1 little window you have to scroll (slowly) up and down to find the latest news stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island