Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 08:28 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times

Advertisements

Ok, I posted this in another thread but then I thought it should have its own thread as I'm sure I'm not the only one with this question.

When I moved to Coram years back (no kids so didn't care about the district) I had to find my new school district for taxes and voting. Being that I was in Coram, I knew it was Longwood but wanted to double check. I called up the school and they gave me a contact in the district to call. I called her up and she said that all of Coram was in Longwood.

Fast forward to a few years later and now i'm looking for a home (some of you may remember my post about Shady Lane - I decided not to take the house) and the school district is a serious consideration. Well come to find out that some parts of Coram (not that I really want to live here) are in Comsewogue and Middle Country.

So basically the lady in the school district was wrong. How do I really find out? I don't trust the real estate people to tell me, they may just want to make a sale and then say oops I didn't know that or whatever.

Kinda bad when the head honchos in the school district don't know what areas are in their own district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 10:07 AM

4 posts, read 13,620 times
When i was looking for homes in Nassau... i would call a couple of schools to tell me where the boundry lines are..

it can be VERY difficult.... sometimes (ex in Lynbrook) there are underground streams that mark the territory so that on one block.... you can have 2 different school districts (Lynbrook OR Malverne...Or Lynbrook / Hewlett)......

If it's important.. do your homework... (also ask the people on the block.. they know)

Some towns (like lynbrook . let you buy a piece of land from your neighbor - just to be in a differnet school district.)

in addition - some districts will let you "buy" into their schools...some don't.

Also watch out if there is village laws.... there are streets in lynbrook for example you can live in the "town" but not the "village". We looked at a house like that which meant that we could go to the schools, but not use the town facilites (i.e. pool) or the library...????
How could i tell my daughter she could not use the town library?? Or the pool with her friends who live down the block or around the corner?? how stupid..
We did not pick Lynbrook...

Confused?? do your homework!!

Hope this helps.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:21 AM

187 posts, read 863,475 times
I suppose checking with the town would be the most reliable way. really a RE Agent should never give you misinformation to make a sale. That is unethical..

Old 04-01-2009, 01:59 PM

827 posts, read 3,095,191 times
You should call the Department of Transportation in the school district and you will find out if you belong to that district or not.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:50 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Ask to see the property tax bill for any property that you are considering buying. The property tax bill will show the school district levying property tax on that property, and that's the school district where that property is located in.

Also, never, ever, assume that the property is in the city, village or hamlet whose name is in that property's mailing address: //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:48 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Ask to see the property tax bill for any property that you are considering buying. The property tax bill will show the school district levying property tax on that property, and that's the school district where that property is located in.

Walter is right, the property tax bill is full of information!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island