Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 06:53 AM

655 posts, read 1,061,133 times

Advertisements

I've always thought that this would be a good idea. With the CPI of places like NYC and LA being so high compared to say, Des Moines, we end up giving more than we get back. I doubt it has a snowballs chance in hell, but its scary to know that 200k on Long Island is equivalent to about 120k in Indianapolis. And we know everyone ain't making 200k here.

Bid to adjust Federal taxes for LI higher living cost -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-ustax0312615249apr02,0,1902891.story - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 07:01 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
There's a lot of chicken or egg type questions in that article. Cost of living is high in Nassau Suffolk. Why? A few reasons: high property taxes (which pay cops and teachers salaries, which are very high because..cost of living is high!) and real estate costs which are high because of short supply and very high salaries of people who work in Manhattan, commute here, and never cared about overpaying for a house. One would think that with housing values coming down, many big paying finance jobs disappearing, etc, that those things should adjust.

Don't expect the rest of the country to feel sorry for us, though.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:10 AM

655 posts, read 1,061,133 times
I agree about the high salaries of cops, teachers, etc. and the high property taxes. But remember that the CPI here is the highest in the nation, so when you go to Pathmark and want a box of Frosted Flakes, its a lot more expensive than, say, Super Walmart in Charleston, SC. Whenever I go down South and look at the food prices I am blown away by the disparity. All of these things contribute to our high cost of living.

Isn't it a fact that NY state as a whole sends the feds a lot more than we ever get back? And isn't that directly correlated to the fact that we have more high income earners, etc., thus are taxed higher but these higher federal taxes don't take into account the location you live in. So yeah everyone says who cares you make more stop whining but when every single item we purchase and consume costs much higher than the national average, it eats away at that gap and eventually brings the higher income worker here on the Island in line with someone in say Dallas.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:54 AM

852 posts, read 2,017,994 times
Default I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I agree about the high salaries of cops, teachers, etc. and the high property taxes. But remember that the CPI here is the highest in the nation, so when you go to Pathmark and want a box of Frosted Flakes, its a lot more expensive than, say, Super Walmart in Charleston, SC. Whenever I go down South and look at the food prices I am blown away by the disparity. All of these things contribute to our high cost of living.

Isn't it a fact that NY state as a whole sends the feds a lot more than we ever get back? And isn't that directly correlated to the fact that we have more high income earners, etc., thus are taxed higher but these higher federal taxes don't take into account the location you live in. So yeah everyone says who cares you make more stop whining but when every single item we purchase and consume costs much higher than the national average, it eats away at that gap and eventually brings the higher income worker here on the Island in line with someone in say Dallas.
I paid $41.00 friggin' dollars for an oil change at a Jiffy Lube in Commack yesterday (a Jiffy Lube that didn't have it's prices posted anywhere). I've never paid more than $25.00 ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE PLANET!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:10 PM

294 posts, read 610,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post

I agree 100%. I've been railing about this for years.

I know that most are saying that this won't pass, but we can hope. Afterall, this wouldn't directly affect the tax burden of the lower cost areas, it would just bring our burden more in line with their level. I suppose that there would be an indirect impact as there would be less revenues flowing to the federal government from high cost areas like LI and that would lead to less money for them to send out around the country for various programs, etc.

Bottom line is that LI and other extremely high cost areas will become home for only the ultra rich and ultra poor if something isn't done to take the cost of living variable into account in some manner.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
I paid $41.00 friggin' dollars for an oil change at a Jiffy Lube in Commack yesterday (a Jiffy Lube that didn't have it's prices posted anywhere). I've never paid more than $25.00 ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE PLANET!
That was my exact experience the one and only time I've gone to Jiffy Lube. I'll never go to them again and strongly advise all reading this to avoid them as well.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:24 PM

330 posts, read 888,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHP Guy View Post
I agree 100%. I've been railing about this for years.

I know that most are saying that this won't pass, but we can hope. After all, this wouldn't directly affect the tax burden of the lower cost areas, it would just bring our burden more in line with their level. I suppose that there would be an indirect impact as there would be less revenues flowing to the federal government from high cost areas like LI and that would lead to less money for them to send out around the country for various programs, etc.

Bottom line is that LI and other extremely high cost areas will become home for only the ultra rich and ultra poor if something isn't done to take the cost of living variable into account in some manner.
God help us if something like this passes. Like you said there would be less revenue flowing to the government and that would need to be remedied. A simple remedy would be to enact the elimination of property tax and interest deductions from federal returns. It has been kicked around for years and something like this could be the give back to put a little steam into the horrible removal of deductions. Just a possible opinion of what could happen. It seems in most instances in life when something seems to good to be true it is and the unintended or unforeseen consequences can be far reaching.

Similar to this is long islands property tax grievances. I am not sure of the statistic but i think over half of the homes are greiving their taxes. Supposing many of those go through the county will just have to increase rates because it can't afford to lose that revenue.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdairyp View Post
God help us if something like this passes. Like you said there would be less revenue flowing to the government and that would need to be remedied. A simple remedy would be to enact the elimination of property tax and interest deductions from federal returns. It has been kicked around for years and something like this could be the give back to put a little steam into the horrible removal of deductions. Just a possible opinion of what could happen. It seems in most instances in life when something seems to good to be true it is and the unintended or unforeseen consequences can be far reaching.

Similar to this is long islands property tax grievances. I am not sure of the statistic but i think over half of the homes are greiving their taxes. Supposing many of those go through the county will just have to increase rates because it can't afford to lose that revenue.
I hear you; that's probably where they'll eventually look if they ever did pass this bill. You'd think that all of these politicians at the local, state and federal levels would actually look to curb wasteful spending to help bring things back in line with the reduced revenue stream, but that will never happen in this era of big government. It's much too easy for them to take something away from us (i.e. certain deductions) that effectively increases the tax burden so that the money keeps rolling in for their pet projects, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island