Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:36 PM

186 posts, read 734,393 times

Advertisements

I just want to find out from long-time LIers if they like the quality of drinking water here. We moved from Virginia to Nassau C (Mineola area) later last year and we can feel a great deal of difference in the quality of water. What's with the white salty deposits in the water here? Are there more salts in the drinking water than usual, or is it just us? I seriously feel we should be filtering it (which we have just started), but in case we drink it direct from the tap, should we be worried?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 08:42 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
I have a strange story about the tap water. Once I went away to college in Maine (which has some of the best tasting water in the country), whenever I came home to Long Island, I would get stomach viruses. I couldn't explain it. One time someone joked maybe it's the water. I thought I would try it out. One school break I came back and didn't drink the tap water. It was the only time I didn't have any stomach problems. I guess I got too used to Maine water and I wasn't used to LI water anymore. In a way it stinks, because I'm about to move back to Long Island and won't be able to drink the tap. I do here in Queens and I'm fine. City water is good. I'll have to buy water jugs when I go back lol.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:59 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeshpan View Post
I just want to find out from long-time LIers if they like the quality of drinking water here. We moved from Virginia to Nassau C (Mineola area) later last year and we can feel a great deal of difference in the quality of water. What's with the white salty deposits in the water here? Are there more salts in the drinking water than usual, or is it just us? I seriously feel we should be filtering it (which we have just started), but in case we drink it direct from the tap, should we be worried?
How old is your home and the plumbing?

I grew up in Nassau and never saw anything like that, but that was 25 years ago.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:27 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,139,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I have a strange story about the tap water. Once I went away to college in Maine (which has some of the best tasting water in the country), whenever I came home to Long Island, I would get stomach viruses. I couldn't explain it. One time someone joked maybe it's the water. I thought I would try it out. One school break I came back and didn't drink the tap water. It was the only time I didn't have any stomach problems. I guess I got too used to Maine water and I wasn't used to LI water anymore. In a way it stinks, because I'm about to move back to Long Island and won't be able to drink the tap. I do here in Queens and I'm fine. City water is good. I'll have to buy water jugs when I go back lol.
No matter where you live when you go to another place whether the water is cleaner or not certain chemicals will always be present like fluoride but in different percentages. Long Island water is some of the best in the country but if you are in a home you just bought you might have to check how old pipes are and it matters if it is city(piped in) or well water.When I used to go to military weekends in NJ my skin would be so flaky after a shower and drinking it would make me sick.If the pipes are good,the more you drink it,the quicker your body will adjust to the difference.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:30 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,514,030 times
Interesting post....because we have had exactly the opposite experience. We moved from Utah where the water quality is very poor (lots of mineral deposits and aging filtration systems)...to what is probably the best water I have ever had. We has to change our water filters every 3 months in Utah. We have been here almost a year and a half and have not had to change them at all.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:01 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
No matter where you live when you go to another place whether the water is cleaner or not certain chemicals will always be present like fluoride but in different percentages. Long Island water is some of the best in the country but if you are in a home you just bought you might have to check how old pipes are and it matters if it is city(piped in) or well water.When I used to go to military weekends in NJ my skin would be so flaky after a shower and drinking it would make me sick.If the pipes are good,the more you drink it,the quicker your body will adjust to the difference.

I lived in Smithtown when this happened. We're buying in Levittown, so I'm not sure how their water system works.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:22 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Levittown is public water. Processed and purified. Will smell and taste like chlorinated swimming pool water at first, after a while you wont even notice it anymore.
Even though it totally safe to drink, I would still add a filter to your main source of drinking water, which normally is the kitchen faucet. I don't trust pipes.
Especially old ones.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:51 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I have a strange story about the tap water. Once I went away to college in Maine (which has some of the best tasting water in the country), whenever I came home to Long Island, I would get stomach viruses. I couldn't explain it. One time someone joked maybe it's the water.
That's funny because my nephew had the exact opposite problem when he went away to college in Massachusetts in a suburb of Boston which has public water just like LI does. He constantly had stomach upsets if he drank tap water there but whenever he came home for breaks, long weekends and summer vacation here he was fine. During his sophomore year he decided to just start buying bottled water and drink that whenever he was at college instead of the tap stuff. Never had a stomach problem up there again after that.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:47 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
I notice a huge difference when I drink the water out east at my in-laws.
They have well water. Tastes like the water in the lake I swim at out there.
Can't really make an oppinion on which tastes "better". Never done a taste test between well and public water

Old 04-12-2009, 01:31 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Long Island has several different water authorities, with Suffolk County Water Authority being the largest in Suffolk -also the most expensive one, as far as I know. The taste of water can differ between each district, as I have learned first hand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island