Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:11 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwookie View Post
I think I really need to rent a car and drive down to both places and see the neighborhood. Hicksville seems to have illegal immigrants, near the LIRR station and broadway.
Huntington LIRR to penn station is taking more than an hour and then from there N,R,W to 59th street would take another 20 mins. Door to door travel everyday to work would be 1 hr 45 mins
Renting a car and checking out the neighborhoods is an excellent idea!
If all you're interesting in is travel time, Hicksville would work better; if you want a "Village" feel, Huntington is better. I guess you know best where your priorities lie. BTW, May 3rd, there'll be a few events in downtown Huntington - it'll give you a taste of what the Huntington has to offer.

Re commuting time from Huntington, a lot depends on a) how early you leave and b) is your final destination East side or West side.
The train ride takes about an hour; as was mentioned earlier, an early train is more likely to be on time. If you take a train that bypasses Jamaica, it'll take a few minutes less. If you go to 59th St on the West side, you can take the "A" train (an express) and you'll be there in no time. East side definitely takes longer, although they're working on an East side terminal for the LIRR; up to 1 1/2 hour in the morning, if you travel early, can be less (I've done it!). Evening will take a bit longer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 08:16 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I'd do Babylon Village.

Think Huntington with less attitude and more accessibilty (and a lot less drama on the outskirts).

40 to SUNY
Under one hr. express to Penn

GREAT QOL.

Crooks
Babylon would indeed be an excellent alternative - however, no train under an hour... but only between 5-10 min longer than Huntington for the most part.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:41 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Babylon would indeed be an excellent alternative - however, no train under an hour... but only between 5-10 min longer than Huntington for the most part.
Babylon and Huntington are about the same.
http://mta.info/lirr/html/ttn/babylon.htm (broken link)
http://www.lirr.org/lirr/html/ttn/huntingt.htm (broken link)

Considering that no one in their right mind would live walking distance to Huntington rail ...Babylon wins hands down.

Crooks

Old 04-18-2009, 09:50 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,608 times
Not really. Huntington is consistent at the 1hr mark plus or minus a couple of minutes. Babylon ranges from 1 hour to 1h10. there's ONE 51 minute train, but it leaves at 6:07 which is too early for many people. It's a wash for commuting to the city, and is further for Stony Brook.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:51 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,906 times
I would vote Babylon over Huntington Village for both ambiance and commute time. The drive to Stony Brook would be longer from Babylon (since Stony Brook is both east and north of Babylon, versus simply east of Huntington); however, depending on the time of day the OP's wife would actually be driving, it might not be too bad. From Babylon, simply go east on Sunrise Highway (which has no traffic lights, unlike Rte 25A from Huntington Village with lights ALL the way!) to the exit for Nicholls Road (I forget the number, sorry); then just go north on Nicholls Road straight up to SUSB.

Much better than taking the Sagtikos Parkway to the LIE because the Sagtikos is always backed up between Southern State and the LIE during the morning rush and essentially no good way to get off it/out of the jam once you're caught in it.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Not really. Huntington is consistent at the 1hr mark plus or minus a couple of minutes. Babylon ranges from 1 hour to 1h10. there's ONE 51 minute train, but it leaves at 6:07 which is too early for many people. It's a wash for commuting to the city, and is further for Stony Brook.

No.
You're wrong.

The service is about the same and considering the 15 min ride from the habitable parts of Huntington, Babylon Village still wins hands down.
Stony Brook is a breeze to Nicolls via Sunrise Eastbound.

Huntington just isnt as compelling and its way overpriced/rated.

Trust me Im a North Shore guy but given the parameters, Id take Babylon Village in a heartbeat.

Crooks

Old 04-18-2009, 09:55 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,608 times
I'm wrong? I commuted from Huntington; I know how long it takes. I'm looking at the Babylon schedule, and there is ONE of these fabled express trains. In any case, I said "it's a wash", so how exactly am I wrong when you then said "the service is the same"? You were saying Babylon's is better. It isn't.

There's nothing wrong with Babylon, but I think it's misleading to present it as having this superfast commute. It doesn't.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
I'm wrong? I commuted from Huntington; I know how long it takes. I'm looking at the Babylon schedule, and there is ONE of these fabled express trains. In any case, I said "it's a wash", so how exactly am I wrong when you then said "the service is the same"? You were saying Babylon's is better. It isn't.

There's nothing wrong with Babylon, but I think it's misleading to present it as having this superfast commute. It doesn't.

I commuted from Babylon on the 7:21 for years and the express service is a breeze.(I agree the 607 is too early but under an hour)
Babylon,Jamaica,Penn
http://mta.info/lirr/Timetable/Branch.htm?Folder=Branch&Branch=Babylon&Direction= West&Period=Weekdays (broken link)
I said factoring the time to the rail...its a better bet.

Its ok that youre wrong.

Crooks

Old 04-18-2009, 10:22 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,906 times
Also, for driving-commutes IMO Babylon is much better: fast access to both the Southern State and the Sagtikos. It takes significantly longer to get from the Huntington Village area to any of the parkways.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:48 PM

16 posts, read 38,078 times
Looks like my life going to change soon. I wake up at around 8-ish and reach office at around 9-ish. Well they say marriage is all about compromises

Huntington is on the rail line on both ways to Stony Brook and Penn. To get to stony brook from babylon one will always have to drive and she is not comfortable to drive 45 mins one way for 5 years everyday of her studies. Huntington is tying me up to a tight schedule

From the lirr map looks like if we stay nearby on the blue line in between stops from New Hyde Park to Hicksville, we both would both be near the rail station. And from these place we both have flexibility of lirr. So given the constraints New Hyde Park, Merrlion Av, Carle Place, Westbury, Hicksville seems doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island