Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:25 PM

21 posts, read 76,831 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be a recent graduate and possibly working with a company located in Lake Success. I am not familiar with the area at all. I am coming from a suburban area of Michigan. Can anyone tell me being a 25 year old single female where a safe but affordable city would be near there? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 01:03 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,453,569 times
What would you consider affordable? How long of a commute would be reasonable?

Old 03-24-2009, 01:14 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,396 times
Northeast Queens or Great Neck, depending on your budget. Both offer a lot of rentals. Great Neck is a little quiet but very safe. Bayside (Queens) offers more to do but is much more of a city environment (compared to suburban Michigan--by NYC standards, it's practically suburban). Queens would offer a wider choice of budget.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:01 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Lake Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUgrad View Post
I'm going to be a recent graduate and possibly working with a company located in Lake Success. I am not familiar with the area at all. I am coming from a suburban area of Michigan. Can anyone tell me being a 25 year old single female where a safe but affordable city would be near there? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html and https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

This latter point is important because Lake Success is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name as part of their mailing address.

For those who may not be familiar with Lake Success:

Lake Success is a village (incorporated in 1927) in the central-west part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County, along the Nassau County/NYC border.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Lake Success in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of University Gardens, the Village of Russell Gardens, the Village of Thomaston and the Hamlet of Manhasset; on the east by the Hamlet of Manhasset, the Village of North Hills and the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills; on the south by the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park; and, on the west by New York City (the Nassau County/NYC line).

Lake Success is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name as part of their mailing address: places in the Village of Lake Success have a "Great Neck, NY 11020" and "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 03-24-2009, 08:22 PM

335 posts, read 935,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUgrad View Post

Thank you!
IMHO....Bayside.

However, be aware that most of the areas that have been discussed here are for families. Singles "gravitate" towards the South Shore (Long Beach) and I believe Huntington. Both are a bit far from Lake Success.

However you cut it though, most of Northeast Queens to the Nassau Cty line is safe, well-kept, very commutable and nice areas. However, you will pay more for rentals as well.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:08 PM

330 posts, read 887,931 times
If you want to live a sort of 'single' lifestyle and be around people and bars and such, I think Bayside and Long Beach are your two options. Bayside is a bit of an 'older' young persons town ... less twenty somethings around, a lot of 30 somethings ... but on the positive its under 10 minutes to lake success. But also a big negative is since its queens you are in nyc and have to pay nyc income tax, which is significant. Long beach is about 30 minutes from lake success, a beach town with a lot of bars and young people and fun atmosphere. No nyc income tax.

Bayside is also about 20 minutes by train to manhattan, while long beach is at least double that time.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdairyp View Post
If you want to live a sort of 'single' lifestyle and be around people and bars and such, I think Bayside and Long Beach are your two options. Bayside is a bit of an 'older' young persons town ... less twenty somethings around, a lot of 30 somethings ... but on the positive its under 10 minutes to lake success. But also a big negative is since its queens you are in nyc and have to pay nyc income tax, which is significant. Long beach is about 30 minutes from lake success, a beach town with a lot of bars and young people and fun atmosphere. No nyc income tax.

Bayside is also about 20 minutes by train to manhattan, while long beach is at least double that time.
It is also a much more difficult drive from Long Beach to points north and West as you have to go through Lido Beach generally and then up the Meadowbrook.....

Bayside is seriously centrally located for driving and commuting and a fabulous area. But I am very partial since I grew up there from the '60's through the early 80's.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:27 PM

44 posts, read 252,600 times
I agree with Bayside. You could look in Rockville Centre if you want something a little more suburban and to avoid NYC tax. It has a great main street area with restaurants and bars that attract a young crowd.

Long Beach would be fun too.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieskier View Post
I agree with Bayside. You could look in Rockville Centre if you want something a little more suburban and to avoid NYC tax. It has a great main street area with restaurants and bars that attract a young crowd.

Long Beach would be fun too.
Yes...I forgot Rockville Centre. But IMHO its really not a pretty area - - except for some of those Tudor houses. Downtown is nice, but lots of concrete........and that dreadful Sunrise Highway.......

Old 03-26-2009, 09:34 AM

21 posts, read 76,831 times
I cannot thank all of you enough for the help. I am not necessarily opposed to paying more for rentals if the area is safer. To me I like the idea of a surburban neighborhood feel and I can get into NYC within an hour but feel as though the area is nicer. Even older couples do not bother me. Infact I feel safer with families around and they are usually welcoming. I would rather hear kids screaming and playing in the summers than NYC craziness anyway.

My other question is all these areas that were recommended. Is there public transportation to the Lake Success/Great Neck area and if there isn't and I make the drive. What kind of rush hour commute am I looking at time wise?

Thank you all again! I really appreciate all of your responses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island