Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:52 PM

718 posts, read 2,973,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
What I said was "I can't help but wonder if this has been brought here by illegals"..... if you look in the story, it says there are cases in Texas and California ---- two states that are overloaded with illegals since they are right on the border of Mexico. The other states that have reported it are Kansas (?) and NY (where some kids went to Mexico on Spring Break)

Additionally, you don't have a clue what types of sicknesses and disease the illegals are bringing with them. Most of them are dirt poor and have never had any type of immunizations or health care in their entire lives. These are the people sneaking into our country illegally. I'm not pushing any "political agenda"..... I'm more concerned about my health and the health of my family. I don't want to eat at a restaurant that has some illegal working in food prep (gasp!) and end up catching some type of illness.

Instead of being on the liberal end of it, why not take a look at the increases in disease and illness in this country in the past several years.... the years where illegal "immigration" has boomed.

Ummm, plenty of Americans travel to Mexico every day for business, vacation, etc. My BIL owns a summer home in Mexico close to the Texas border.
Not sure why you would blame illegals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 07:59 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Now you see why I wear a face mask on the bus when its packed....
Before I started wearing the mask, I got sick alot, 8-10 colds/viruses a year, now it's only around 3, so it's not a myth illegals spread disease.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:03 PM

544 posts, read 940,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post

I have traveled extensively throughout Europe and must disagree with your final statement.
My cousin, born, raised and having spent her entire life in the UK, died waiting for her turn for heart surgery. Had she lived, she would have disagreed with your statement.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:04 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Gotta love Stewart.

SNOUTBREAK '09

Old 04-28-2009, 07:33 AM

27 posts, read 63,330 times
Quote:
My cousin, born, raised and having spent her entire life in the UK, died waiting for her turn for heart surgery. Had she lived, she would have disagreed with your statement.
With all due respect, I don't think you can measure the success and effectiveness of a system based on selected few that end up on the short end of the stick.

Nationalized health care is aimed to cut down on wasteful spending and better preventive care... and to my understanding, it's not a system to cure everyone. People die on waiting list for a lot of other things... this is not a system at fault... unless you have money to purchase organ from black market that would be a different story.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:02 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
I'm sorry for your loss, but people also die here while waiting for their scheduled surgeries, and you can't judge an entire system based on experiences of a few.

My original point, however, was that Mexico does not have socialized medicine, and in fact, the countries in Europe with Government healthcare are being reported on as the best prepared for pandemic.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollytech View Post
With all due respect, I don't think you can measure the success and effectiveness of a system based on selected few that end up on the short end of the stick.

Nationalized health care is aimed to cut down on wasteful spending and better preventive care... and to my understanding, it's not a system to cure everyone. People die on waiting list for a lot of other things... this is not a system at fault... unless you have money to purchase organ from black market that would be a different story.
With all due respect, one can not take the passing statement of a traveler concerning nationalized health care in other countries as gospel truth.

Canada's system bears a burden by specific groups. If you're healthy and have a sudden apendicitis attack, no problems. But if you are part of a group which has the same set of major ailments (i.e. COPD) resources are stretched thin. There are more deaths within those groups because there is a larger pool vying for a set number of resources.

Perhaps Natasha Richardson would still be alive if the hospital to which she were first taken had the resources available to treat her?

Canada has a much higher ratio of nurses to doctors. Google it. I don't mind seeing a nurse practitioner for a chest cold, but I don't want a nurse practitioner handling me when a much more serious matter evolves.

The French system is under scrutiny as there is greater difficulty controlling costs in France. Patients there shop doc to doc until theyy get what it is they want -- eating up funding along the way.

Patients dying awaiting their turn for surgery at a government run hospital are indicative of a problem with the system. To suggest that if people had the money they could turn to the black market only serves to further reinforce the fact that the government should not be involved in health care.

Good grief! Our government can't make a sound decision on immigration; obfuscates tax law, made a mess out of Medicare. Do we really want government employees deciding what is best for our health care?

Old 04-28-2009, 12:25 PM

220 posts, read 1,119,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Do we really want government employees deciding what is best for our health care?
As opposed to egomaniacal doctors driven by profit and influenced by industry perks? Absolutely.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:44 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer06 View Post
As opposed to egomaniacal doctors driven by profit and influenced by industry perks? Absolutely.
Because ALL doctors are driven by profit and industry perks. We all know that to be the absolute truth.

Ever dealt with a Gov't agency? Now I don't know about the rest of the country but here in NY the Gov't is a shining example of effeciency, compassion and well thought out plans. Just ask the MTA.

You want them making ANY decision about anything? These people should have other people telling them what underwear to put on in the morning.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:33 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Because ALL doctors are driven by profit and industry perks. We all know that to be the absolute truth.
That is capitalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island