Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Given the current economic meltdown, are the Teachers on Long Island overpaid?
Yes 28 47.46%
No 31 52.54%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 05:48 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times

Advertisements

I think you'll see many budgets voted down this year.

There are certainly some lazy teachers on the taxpayers dime, but there are also some exceptional ones.

What say you LI?

Crooks

Old 04-26-2009, 06:09 PM

330 posts, read 888,161 times
Default Long Island Index

Long Island Index - a site on tax relief did a survey like this 2 years ago, the results were surprising

"When asked about “cutting current teachers’ salaries, pension plan and other benefits in order to reduce school property taxes,” 65% of Long Islanders were somewhat or strongly opposed. Even among respondents aged 65 and older, who are often the strongest supporters of proposals to curb school spending in order to lower taxes, 59% opposed the proposal.
When asked whether they would consider cutting salaries, pension plans or other benefits for [SIZE=2]new teachers, there was a similar response: 61% were opposed." [/SIZE]

Long Island Index: Aim High to Reduce Taxes

Old 04-26-2009, 07:33 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
The only problem with voting down the budget is that the school districts then cut programs that benefit the kids - everyone knows that - what is it? 2/3 of the budget goes to teacher salaries/benefits and retiree benefits....that stuff never gets cut. It's teams and music programs and yearbook. I do vote against my budget every year - in my town it will never get voted down, but it makes me feel good to raise up the "no" numbers.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:46 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,033 times
The cops and teachers I feel are both overpaid. There are more ppl for the job than jobs available which means the job pays too much. Of course no one will have the guts to deny the cops a raise let alone actually cut their salary.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:02 AM

347 posts, read 1,352,309 times
Check this out - Middle Country school district actually tells the residents that if the budget is voted down, we will pay MORE taxes since they need to be more conservative with their "emergency fund" and thus need to make up the difference with additional taxpayer money. Hmm, a "No" vote equals more taxes - sounds like we are being held hostage. And of course, there's the threats of "no more full day kindergarten"... While we still have one of the lower tax rates in Brookhaven, my taxes have gone up probably about 30% over the past 5 years. All this while the district continues to underperform...

Old 04-27-2009, 03:56 PM

311 posts, read 915,924 times
No. Just look at teacher salaries in other states.. I think it's awful what teachers get paid across the country!!! They have SUCH an important job, and while lazy teachers shouldn't make lots of money, I still think Long Island gets it right for what to pay teachers. That's not to say they think they deserve that much money.. it's just the Long Island economy... higher paying jobs b/c LI is expensive to live in..

Old 04-27-2009, 04:36 PM

414 posts, read 911,511 times
Are you aware that teachers in the Wm Floyd district voted to do without pay raises to keep their fellow teachers on board? Now THAT'S America for you!!
(And no, I don't think they're overpaid...I think people just THINK they're overpaid because they're paid by our taxes. Same as the police. If they were somehow paid "privately" no one would know and NO one would care!)

Old 04-27-2009, 05:32 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

There are certainly some lazy teachers on the taxpayers dime

What say you LI?

Crooks
Is that a fact or is this another thread to bash teachers in addition to cops?

Your really on a tear today. Did you have a Bad weekend?

Crooks Please post some stats before you make these statements.

Respectfully,
LIC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island