Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Given the current economic meltdown, do we really need the U.S Postal service?
Eliminate the U.S Postal service 28 52.83%
Keep the U.S Postal service open 25 47.17%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 04:08 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,582,103 times

Advertisements

Lets face it folks in todays current economic climate and the wasteful spending of our tax paying dollars I have to say that the U.S Postal service is no longer useful and should be boxed up and retired.

The pony express was a wonderful system back in the day of hard cross country riding by brave deliverers and was a much needed necessity to the growth of our mighty country and throughout the years it helped us achieve many milestones in communications but now it is unnecessary, outdated, antiquated, and useless. The beast that is the postal service is a black hole of resources. The price of a stamp seems to go up every day and the Post office hasn't seen profits in years.

Less and less people are using the post office. UPS, FED-EX, DHS, the internet, and e-mails to name a few have slain the sickly government blight that seems to suck up countless tax payer dollars. Imagine the savings that could be had if it was eliminated and privatized. Sure it may be sad to lay off all those postal workers...are we afraid they may become more disgruntled?

Seriously...what is the point? A majority of people I know barely use this worn out institution anymore, lets end it.

Last edited by LongIslandCitizen; 05-20-2009 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 04:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
I actually like the US Postal Service and prefer to use it above the other carriers you mentioned:

UPS: only 5 days a week; if you are not home during business hours and cannot rush to one of their few depots (Uniondale in my case) by 6 pm weekdays you are doomed when it comes to getting your package.

FedEx: We use them a lot at my job and they are getting worse and worse. We pay extra for early AM delivery; the package gets there at 6pm and they always have an excuse NOT to refund. Where I live the FedEx guy used to spend too much time at the nearest OTB and my "before 10am delivery" never made it on time.

DHS: don't know this one.

I think the USPS could certainly be improved, but I would not like to see it disappear altogether.

PS: Who would I get all the neighborhood gossip from if I didn't have my reliable steady mailman for years and years?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:20 PM

60 posts, read 183,170 times
I think the post office is a dinosaur....slowly fading away. Lets face it..how many people mail bills nowadays?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I actually like the US Postal Service and prefer to use it above the other carriers you mentioned:

UPS: only 5 days a week; if you are not home during business hours and cannot rush to one of their few depots (Uniondale in my case) by 6 pm weekdays you are doomed when it comes to getting your package.

FedEx: We use them a lot at my job and they are getting worse and worse. We pay extra for early AM delivery; the package gets there at 6pm and they always have an excuse NOT to refund. Where I live the FedEx guy used to spend too much time at the nearest OTB and my "before 10am delivery" never made it on time.

DHS: don't know this one.

I think the USPS could certainly be improved, but I would not like to see it disappear altogether.

PS: Who would I get all the neighborhood gossip from if I didn't have my reliable steady mailman for years and years?
LOL...Sure I understand your points. The Postal service for the most part is just a sentimental part of our nation and I believe that is why we haven't unplugged it from life support. I use the internet regularly for a majority of my online shopping and even when I order standard delivery my package is delivered the very next day usually from Fed-Ex or UPS.

The thing that prompted me to initiate this post was a blurb on TV about stamps rising again. Back in the day it was a big deal but today it's like who cares?

Another thing is it seems junk mail is the only thing keeping the Post office afloat. The Post service sold us out to the many junk mail senders that cram our mailboxes full of garbage. I spoke to my Carrier and his response was basically..."sorry...it is what it is". More than once I have thrown out legitimate mail. I have to basically dissect my bundle of junk to find the good stuff!

Old 05-20-2009, 04:40 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,164,033 times
As soon as they pass a bill to ban "junk mail" the post office will be officially dead.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthewoods View Post
I think the post office is a dinosaur....slowly fading away. Lets face it..how many people mail bills nowadays?
Reminds me of the Tar Pits.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:59 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,800 times
oh yeah, great idea, let eliminate MORE US jobs. 5 days a week is ok, but getting rid of it????????????????????????????????? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-20-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
oh yeah, great idea, let eliminate MORE US jobs. 5 days a week is ok, but getting rid of it????????????????????????????????? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I acknowleged lay offs in my previous post and it is a sad reality but a necessity to save money...lots of money. This isn't enough of a reason to keep the postal service in business, just to keep jobs. That is akin to welfare.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:34 PM

732 posts, read 1,735,529 times
Let's face it folks, in today's current economic climate and the wasteful spending of our tax paying dollars I have to say that the military is no longer useful and should be discharged.

The Army, Air Force, Navy and the rest of the military were a wonderful system back in the day of hard international fighting by brave soldiers and was a much needed necessity to the growth of our mighty country and throughout the years it helped us achieve many milestones in technology but now it is bloated, corrupted and misguided. The beast that is the military industrial complex is a black hole of resources. The price of war seems to go up every day and they haven't seen Osama Bin Laden at all.

More and more people are being killed in the name of "weapons of mass destruction". Missile programs, overpowered technology and corrupt mercenaries, to name a few have fed on the sickly government blight that seems to suck up countless tax payer dollars. Imagine the savings that could be had if it was eliminated. Sure it may be sad that we won't be able to bring "democracy" to all those foreign people...are we afraid they may become more disgruntled?

Seriously...what is the point?

Old 05-20-2009, 05:39 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,800 times
while we are at it, lets fire all cops and teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island