Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:58 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,608 times

Advertisements

My husband took it in October. It's very easy if you read the manual. You don't need to study, though.

(FWIW, DH did not read the manual, and passed. He's held a British driving license--toughest test in the world--for 17 years, however.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:43 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
Many of the things you see every day driving around here are addressed in the book. Passing over the double yellow...driving 15-20 over the posted speed......running red lights...and tailgating are all in there. If more people would read the book we'd be in better shape.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:43 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander131 View Post
Has anyone taken the written test lately? What chapters do I really need to go through? Is it mostly on the signs of the back cover?
I don't really remember, but it was easy.... you'd have to be an idiot not to get it

Old 11-04-2009, 01:45 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
My husband took it in October. It's very easy if you read the manual. You don't need to study, though.

(FWIW, DH did not read the manual, and passed. He's held a British driving license--toughest test in the world--for 17 years, however.)
It's always interesting as Americans to find out how hard it is in some other countries to become a licensed driver. As someone frequently frustrated by other drivers (I'm a great driver, to quote George Costanza, "I'm doing things in this car you have no idea are going on!") I almost wish it was as hard here.

And also, it must be really hard for your husband to get used to driving on the right side of the road! I couldn't imagine doing it wrong for 17 years *lol*

Old 11-04-2009, 07:07 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Sheesh lou-ees! Don't be lazy!! Read the manual... it's all of what? 40 pages??? Read the entire thing, use common sense, have someone quiz you, and take the test!! Don't take the lazy way out.
Exactly. There are no cliffs notes, there are no cheat cheats. Use common sense and read the entire manual. I can tell you that the questions on the permit test are about driving.

And here are a few things to remember. YOU do NOT own the road. People are not obliged to get out of your way. Use common sense and no, do not pretend this is NASCAR or Indy 500 or whatever race is out there.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:38 AM

184 posts, read 806,043 times
lol...common sense goes a long way.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:07 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I would really read through most of the book. I took my friends' advice and barely skimmed through the book. I ended up failing my permit test the first time for this reason lol (but I passed my driver's test the first time!). Read it all just in case. Good luck.
same here - failed the first time, then passed it 15 minutes later. I didn't read the manual... it really depends on the questions you get. A lot of them, 2 answers are really close. I mean if you don't read about how they want you to answer about a car backing out of an obstructed view driveway, you may get it wrong.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:19 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
same here - failed the first time, then passed it 15 minutes later. I didn't read the manual... it really depends on the questions you get. A lot of them, 2 answers are really close. I mean if you don't read about how they want you to answer about a car backing out of an obstructed view driveway, you may get it wrong.
You mean the answer is not "say a prayer and then floor it?"

Old 11-04-2009, 10:51 AM

81 posts, read 127,193 times
Please dont take shortcuts and just read through the whole book! I took my test about 10 yrs ago. Its really not difficult if you just READ! Just from looking over everything once and becoming familiar with it(while paying attention of course) you will make the roads safer for all of us...

Old 11-05-2009, 06:21 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,263 times
Why would anyone want to "short cut" this? We're talking about DRIVING here, not a quiz on "A Streetcar Named Desire"!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island