Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:36 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
It's not anywhere near as common as you would think from reading these boards. There are a couple areas, Five Towns and Great Neck, where if you're not Jewish you're probably lost
even there, not so true. Inwood is heavily minority, there's still a non-Jewish (though shrinking) community in Hewlett and Cedarhurst, and Great Neck South is something like 30% Asian now. There are places where an Asian family would stand out (I wouldn't, for example, recommend Massapequa even if it were geographically suitable).

Westchester: Not doable for a commute to NJ. Metro North comes into the east side, PATH from the west. LIRR is better in this case. Even if you had one of those dream Westchester commutes, you'd lose the difference getting to the PATH.

Port Washington is diverse (your kids certainly wouldn't be the only south Asians in their school or anything like that) but if you really want a south Asian community (with shopping and so on), look at New Hyde Park and Herricks. Port is probably a nicer town to live in, a little more out of the way. If you love the Hudson Valley, this would probably suit you more. If you like being in the thick of it with lots of shopping--NHP/Herricks area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 01:10 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,535 times
Well port washington seems to have some nice areas ..baxter estates? Crime seems okay, commute seems good. Drawback i see is that according to mapquest...getting to roosevelt fields is 30 minutes each way..*sigh*..really was hoping to get that commute down to 15 minutes (NOT that I enjoy mall shopping with three kids..more of a convenience factor)...as long as other items are closeby then Its fine.

Any thoughts on woodmere, North Bellmore...what about the beach towns of lido, long beach?

Feel free to point our any and all red flags on these as well.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:30 PM

Woodmere: No. Not convenient (far from all the parkways), almost entirely Jewish.

Long Beach & Lido: Also inconvenient though the beach is lovely. 55mins to Penn.

Keep in mind that while the mall is 25 mins or so, there is a lot of shopping in Great Neck/Manhasset. The only things missing are big box--Wal-Mart, Target etc. They're even opening Fairway in Douglaston next year. I really don't find myself at the mall all that often, to be honest (I don't live in Port but half an hour in the other direction).

Old 05-06-2009, 04:52 PM

138 posts, read 270,665 times
Quote:
1. After reading some of the threads, I do see areas seperated by heritage.."The jews live here, the koreans live her, the irish are here". I am not really comfortable with that dissection. Is it common? I guess its not considered rude or politically incorrect. Up where we are...its "Caucasion, Asian and African American, And European". Thats it. I have no idea whether my neighbors or childrens friends are italian, jewish, irish..they are just caucasion and we dont ask because we believe it to be rude. No one asks us if we are middle eastern, persian, indian...etc etc (we are indian)...we are just lumped in asian category.
I found it funny that the OP made this statement, yet many of the responders continued to dissect areas by heritage. To be honest, I love that many of the people on the long island boards do not worry so much about being politically correct. I find this "matter of fact" attitude refreshing and acually less racist...if that makes any sense.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1219 View Post
I found it funny that the OP made this statement, yet many of the responders continued to dissect areas by heritage. To be honest, I love that many of the people on the long island boards do not worry so much about being politically correct. I find this "matter of fact" attitude refreshing and acually less racist...if that makes any sense.
So then its totally okay by referring to area by what your background is? Where we are is primarily caucausion, asian, african american and other.....without the focus on the specifics. If its common on the island to be specific--then we will follow the "when in rome" attitude!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:31 PM

I think there is a difference between labelling an area as black, white, Jewish, whatever, and saying that an area has a small or large community of a certain group. You will never have an even distribution of ethnic groups; they'll almost always clump, especially ones that have community ties or institutions, even just shopping. I also think that while it's important not to overgeneralize, it's not right either to ignore an area's ethnic makeup. Lay out the facts and let the person decide what features are the ones they want.

OP, not everyone cares so much about the ethnic makeup of their community. LI is more sensitive than many places because there is a nasty history here of steering and discrimination. However, in some cases, the communities are very visible and proud, and people will refer to the area as being "Asian", "Jewish", "Italian". However, there's a certain amount of exaggeration and overgeneralization involved and that should be kept in mind.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:06 PM

Totally correct.

We are actually taking a look at the southern shore.(RVC and also oceanside)--the homes appear to be a bit newer in construction and still can get us into penn in under an hour.

What do you guys think of oceanside, RVC, is it baldiwn?...basically give me the skinny on southern shore...the good the bad and the ugly.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:16 PM

RVC is a lovely area, excellent schools, lots of restaurants. Oceanside is a solid area, not so pretty looking, lots of strip malls, commute is a little longer (Long Beach branch rather than Babylon). Baldwin, eh. It's unfairly demonized, but if I could afford RVC I wouldn't buy in Baldwin. RVC has the most diverse housing stock. Oceanside has a lot of 1950s tract houses.

People tend to be either south or north shore people, though. The north shore is prettier and less congested, but further from shopping. The south shore has the beach and is very densely built. Lots of convenience, but the tradeoff is congestion. I would actually come down here for a day and see which area you liked better. a lot of people take one look and have very strong feelings.

Keep in mind that there is not much new construction in western/central Nassau aside from spot builds. A 1950s house isn't necessarily superior to a 1920s one.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:58 AM

36 posts, read 225,713 times
I grew up in North Bellmore and I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:35 AM

28 posts, read 79,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Totally correct.

We are actually taking a look at the southern shore.(RVC and also oceanside)--the homes appear to be a bit newer in construction and still can get us into penn in under an hour.

What do you guys think of oceanside, RVC, is it baldiwn?...basically give me the skinny on southern shore...the good the bad and the ugly.

I would not recomend RVC ,Baldwin - both has good sections and bad sections - and I will stay away from it since the good sections can become in no time bad sections because the close proximity.
Try Merrick - Excell. schools -comute - 40 min to Penn , easy coumute to everywere , close to HWY. 2 Main arteries - Merrick Rd, and Merrick Ave - with - supermarkets , Drug store, restaurants ,...
You have anything at your fingertips - without mixed commercial/ residential .
It is lovely .
Close to beaches , pools , parks , play grounds , not congested - I found Port Washington to be more congested that Merrick. And the problem in POrt Wash. is the travel time from HWY - to port Wash.- can be apain in the neck - since you have trafic lights .... takes forever sometimes...
8 min. drive to shopping malls , ....If you want more info send me a direct message ...- I am not a REAL ESTATE AGENT.
I moved in Merrick about 5 yrs now - and i feel that I was very blesed to find this litle jewel...
I picked up Merrick based on school reports - School District 25 - than reports on crimes , and stuff - and than I realized how conviniently is located to everything....
Regards!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island