Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:41 PM

157 posts, read 459,037 times

Advertisements

I was looking through MLS and found a nice looking house, decent taxes... which usually means not a nice neighborhood. Anyone hit me up with the usual? (School system, Neighborhood, History blah blah>...)

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 05:47 AM

13,531 posts, read 17,082,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonylongisland View Post
I was looking through MLS and found a nice looking house, decent taxes... which usually means not a nice neighborhood. Anyone hit me up with the usual? (School system, Neighborhood, History blah blah>...)

Thanks.

Probably Commsewogue HS, which is in the bottom half of the school rankings. Some neighborhoods over in PJS get pretty raunchy.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:13 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,184,513 times
Quote:

Thanks.
Give me a street name and i'll give you a rundown.I graduated from Comsewogue in '89. The school isn't what it used to be,but it's not bad. It's like a middle counry school district (average).

Old 05-09-2009, 07:09 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,210,303 times
Quote:

Thanks.
Blah blah indeed.

PJ Sta has gotten kinda rough is some spots over the last 20 years.

Go spent a Friday night at the 112 Pathmark and ask yourself if this if where you want to raise your family.
Dont get me wrong...its not Compton, and theres a pocket in Terryville thats very nice but over all I think you can probably do better elsewhere.

If youre looking for affordable working class North Shore, go check out Rocky Point, Sound Beach and Ridge.

Best of luck.

Crooks

Old 05-09-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Blah blah indeed.

PJ Sta has gotten kinda rough is some spots over the last 20 years.

Go spent a Friday night at the 112 Pathmark and ask yourself if this if where you want to raise your family.
Dont get me wrong...its not Compton, and theres a pocket in Terryville thats very nice but over all I think you can probably do better elsewhere.

If youre looking for affordable working class North Shore, go check out Rocky Point, Sound Beach and Ridge.

Best of luck.

Crooks
Crooks,he's looking for specifics.If he comes back and mentions a house on Huron or around there fine, if by Boyle road then it might be a different story.Most of the people that live by the golf course don't even go to Pathmark.They mostly use the Waldbaums on 347 so it really depends where and no offense Rocky Point is not really better (go to the business district on a friday night)and in Ridge you have a HIGH sex offender group.Sound beach is better.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Crooks,he's looking for specifics.If he comes back and mentions a house on Huron or around there fine, if by Boyle road then it might be a different story.Most of the people that live by the golf course don't even go to Pathmark.They mostly use the Waldbaums on 347 so it really depends where and no offense Rocky Point is not really better (go to the business district on a friday night)and in Ridge you have a HIGH sex offender group.Sound beach is better.

None taken but the last 20 years have not been kind to PJ Sta.
I do think RP/SB and Ridge have gentrified considerably over that time.
(considering where they came from)

As for downtown RP, I ate dinner there last night, didnt lock my car doors either, so Im not so sure how you can compare that to the the basehead and wandering skel parade of PJ Sta.

Please dont mislead OP.

You do know theres some significant QOL issues in the Sta.

Like I said, theres parts that are very nice (Terryville), theres other places that are nicer. Schools are OK.

Go drive by, see for yourself.

Thats my general and or specific.

Crooks

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...port-jeff.html

Last edited by Crookhaven; 05-09-2009 at 08:26 AM..

Old 05-09-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
None taken but the last 20 years have not been kind to PJ Sta.
I do think RP/SB and Ridge have gentrified considerably over that time.
(considering where they came from)

As for downtown RP, I ate dinner there last night, didnt lock my car doors either, so Im not so sure how you can compare that to the the basehead and wandering skel parade of PJ Sta.

Please dont mislead OP.

You do know theres some significant QOL issues in the Sta.

Like I said, theres parts that are very nice (Terryville), theres other places that are nicer. Schools are OK.

Go drive by, see for yourself.

Thats my general and or specific.

Crooks

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...port-jeff.html
My guideline is this-what they consider the heatherwood section behind boyle road school (rush st. to janet-very nice),across 347 (north) it depends.The lake streets by old town rd. NOT GOOD(worst part of town).

Old 05-09-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
My guideline is this-what they consider the heatherwood section behind boyle road school (rush st. to janet-very nice),across 347 (north) it depends.The lake streets by old town rd. NOT GOOD(worst part of town).
Its like Selden over on Boyle rd.

Not bad.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Its like Selden over on Boyle rd.

Not bad.
If you enter by Rush Street thats pretty much the selden/pjs border which is good.As you make a right heading towards Janet street,the streets get better as well.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:04 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,943,940 times
Quote:
Give me a street name and i'll give you a rundown.I graduated from Comsewogue in '89. The school isn't what it used to be,but it's not bad. It's like a middle counry school district (average).

ooohhhh how interesting...we must know each other

PJS has always been a mixed bag just like so many middle class towns with mediocre SDs on LI. I prefer the parkridge estates area off bicycle path, the neighborhood off of Boyle road by the golf course isnt bad even though I was almost killed at a 4way stop sign by a drunk driver on the 4th of July in 1989.
I grew up in the rare w-section area of comsewogue which unfortunately has a Coram zip code but IMO is the nicest, most secluded neighborhood in Comsewogue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island