Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:42 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times

Advertisements

West Hills is also considered "horse country" as well as parts of Cold Spring Harbor. When I lived there, several of my neighbors had horses.
In many areas, they allow 2 horses per acre.
Recently, there was an article in Newsday about the plight about horse farms on Long Island. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll try to get the date for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 10:08 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geemiss View Post
OK, I have been searching for about 3 months....I grew up in Queens, have a decent basic knowledge of Nassau/Suffolk, but BOY am I having a hard time finding a decent horse property in a decent nabe!

We can go up to $450K, and must have at least 1 acre.
Would prefer north shore Nassau, but price-wise that doesn't look doable
Willing to go out as far as exit 64, but would far prefer not to.

Already saw properties in N Great River, and some part of Islip - bleh. The area just looks kind of sad and run down.

Saw lower prices online for Middle Island, but heard it's a bad nabe?
Saw some great properties in Medford, but it's sooo far to Manhattan, where hubby has to commute.

Can anyone help?
Thanx!!
Long Island Horse Properties, Inc is located on main street in Smithtown, that might be another place to contact. Smithtown (Pines area) and neighboring portions of Hauppauge surrounding Blydenburgh park are very much horse properties. 450k would be tough, but I have seen sizable ranches zoned as horse properties that continue to sit, and sit, and sit...The Pines is a very nice area. Good luck in your search. (For reference it is the area in Smithtown in and around Old Willets Path as well as Brooksite drive)

JRP

Old 05-14-2009, 10:36 PM

17 posts, read 49,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
West Hills is also considered "horse country" as well as parts of Cold Spring Harbor. When I lived there, several of my neighbors had horses.
Recently, there was an article in Newsday about the plight about horse farms on Long Island. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll try to get the date for you.
Excellent info - I didn't know CSH and West Hills were horse country! I will do a search, thank you!

And yes, I'd love to see the Newsday article, but what's a PM?
<<~~newbie LOL

Thanx!

Old 05-14-2009, 10:39 PM

17 posts, read 49,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Long Island Horse Properties, Inc is located on main street in Smithtown, that might be another place to contact. Smithtown (Pines area) and neighboring portions of Hauppauge surrounding Blydenburgh park are very much horse properties. 450k would be tough, but I have seen sizable ranches zoned as horse properties that continue to sit, and sit, and sit...The Pines is a very nice area. Good luck in your search. (For reference it is the area in Smithtown in and around Old Willets Path as well as Brooksite drive)

JRP
Thanx Jrprof! I have been checking the LI Horse Properties website nearly every day, and saw a few of the houses listed.

Thanx for the detailed info on Smithtown, this is the kind of stuff I need!

Old 05-15-2009, 05:37 AM

8 posts, read 18,281 times
Saw lower prices online for Middle Island, but heard it's a bad nabe?

I live in MI and i have no problem with the area. I would stay away from the condo properties but since you can't keep your horse there that shouldn't be a problem

Try Ridge area also. We live basically where Middle Island, Ridge and Rocky Point kinda meet and there is plenty of state land trails. There is also a large horse farm(?) behind our neighborhood. not sure if they have shows or some sort of competitions on Sundays but we can hear their speaker system lol.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:20 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,167,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post

450k? and youre a RE agent????

Cmon Elke we all know you love West Hills but get a grip.
We cant all be Gatsby.

Crooks

Old 05-15-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Thanx Crooks! I will do a search right now

20 min by car to Ronk? Is that the closest station, or the one with the most trains? (I just found out Medford only has ONE morning train to NYC!)
Medfords a joke.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...such-joke.html

Ronkonkoma is your train.
Sadly weve been underserved and recently raped by the MTA in Central Suffolk.

Ridge is a great town....ask Kelly if shes around.
Crooks

Old 05-15-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Alexis - also, I've been told that almost every town on LI allows for horses, if your property is big enough. Does anyone know if that's true?
You need and Acre plus.

Check Manorville too.

Crooks

Old 05-15-2009, 06:27 AM

http://lihorseproperties.com/searchlistings/showlisting.cfm?startrow=4 (broken link)

http://lihorseproperties.com/searchlistings/showlisting.cfm?startrow=5 (broken link)

Old 05-15-2009, 07:34 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
450k? and youre a RE agent????

Cmon Elke we all know you love West Hills but get a grip.
We cant all be Gatsby.

Crooks
I was merely referring to "horse country" if you read my post

And in this environment, there have actually been some bargains, even in West Hills - of course they don't last long (the minute the come on the market, the race begins).
Sometimes I see a great buy and just wish I had the "right" buyer at that moment Of course prospective buyers sometimes take too long to "think about it" and then it's gone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island