Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 06:39 PM

17 posts, read 49,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONYPULR View Post
Although my property, 3 acres plus barns, etc. is for sale, it is out of the OP's price range. But I am familiar with most everything that IS available as I continue to research comps and new listings. There is a place in Medford that is for sale, and, in my humble opinion, a very good buy. The house is almost completely redone, and the property is very nice, 5 stall barn, riding ring. A friend of mine owns it, and it's in the OP's range. Medford is probably closer to Ronk station than Ridge, too.

Actually I went to an open house for another Medford place, 8 stall barn, 3 acres, riding ring, very nice house, dual room fireplace and all!! Also in that same price range and a good buy!!
Pony - your place sounds great, wish I could afford it!

It's nice to know Medford is close to the Ronk RR, in case he misses the ONE train that leaves from Medford in the a.m. LOL

About the other properties you mentioned - I have looked at a few properties in Medford, is your friends' listed anywhere that I could see it? They both sound very interesting, would love to see them! Please let me know, and thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
This one might be a start in Hauppauge. Around 500k, and zoned for two horses. Not sure how large you need the house to be, but this would be closer in than NE Brookhaven, etc.

http://lihorseproperties.com/searchlistings/showlisting.cfm?startrow=39 (broken link)#
Thank you, Jrprof! Unfortunately, the Hauppauge one on that site doesn't have a barn - we reeeaaally don't want to have to build a barn, I would like to get a property that already has one.

But you are very kind to look for me!

Old 05-15-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Keep in mind you also want a place to ride,many of the properties in Ridge border the 5000 acre Rocky Point Preserve.
Look by Whiskey rd, you can hop on, ride and go.

Its been a while since Ive seen a horse moseying down 111 JrP but hey y' never know.
; )

Blydenburg is a nice park and I think you can trailer in and ride.

Crooks
Thanx Crooks! All you guys are really helpful!

Old 05-15-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Medfords a joke.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...such-joke.html

Ronkonkoma is your train.
Sadly weve been underserved and recently raped by the MTA in Central Suffolk.

Ridge is a great town....ask Kelly if shes around.
Crooks
That's really rotten about the LIRR - what do your local elected officials have to say for themselves about it? Just curious.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:17 PM

745 posts, read 1,506,746 times
Ridge and Manorville. There is a house listed in Ridge for 469k. It has 2 acres I think.On Woodlot Rd.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:41 PM

638 posts, read 1,283,963 times
The two MLSLI.COM numbers are 2153613 and 2146292. Both are ready for horses!! Good luck!! PM me and let me know how you made out!!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:21 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,763,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geemiss View Post
Thanx for doing a search for me, Arron, I'll check it out!

We were in Bohemia the other day, looked at few properties...I dunno, that whole Islip Terrace/Bohemia/N Great River area (at least the areas I saw, with the horse properties) looks kinda run down and sorta blah (no offense to anyone who lives there)
Bohemia is on the opposite side of Connetquot park. The horse areas (at least when I worked there) were nicely kept for the most part. There were two primary horse areas. First was bordered on the south by Sunrise hwy. bordered on the west (as you headed north) by Pond Rd, turned south on Sycamore and then followed Oakdale Bohemia Rd south back to Sunrise. This was a while back, but I thought that area was a little less fussy but kept up, but in some areas treed and a little less development looking. It has been a while since I was through there. Hopefully someone didn't buy out the properties and build more houses.

The 2nd horse area was to the north of Pond, heading north along Sycamore where it borders the park. That area was run down and one thing I noticed was fewer horses and the occasional subdivided property.

Both North Great River and Islip Terrace along Connetquot Ave have always been a little weary looking. I lived on the Islip Terrace side north of the school, south of the fork for several years in the late 1980s. Then it was sketchy and now it isn't much better.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:15 PM

187 posts, read 864,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geemiss View Post
Thanx for doing a search for me, Arron, I'll check it out!

We were in Bohemia the other day, looked at few properties...I dunno, that whole Islip Terrace/Bohemia/N Great River area (at least the areas I saw, with the horse properties) looks kinda run down and sorta blah (no offense to anyone who lives there)
I know what you mean - Islip area in particular. I don't know what it is but is all seems a little grey to me there. Dunno if it's the trees and vegetation, the house styles.. the best way I can describe it is, it doesn't feel colorful..

Still Bohemia is considered a desireable area and I wouldn't exclude it from your search.

Also in some parts of Holbrook/Holtsville there are horse properties so check those out as well.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:15 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,938,705 times
If your husband commutes to NYC, I'd narrow the search to Bohemia. If you want a more rural truly horse friendly environment ,come out to Ridge. Brookhaven State park is open, no pass needed 24 hours a day as well as several other town & state preserves that are horse friendly & ready to ride. I know of several homes in Ridge with barns & new fencing in your price range, I'm also pretty sure your taxes here will be signifigantly lower than town of Smithtown. I also know of two areas in town of Smithtown (Near Kings park )where horse owners were sort of driven out by new construction & subdivisions.
That is not happening anytime soon in Ridge. Here in Ridge our horse owners association(their real name escapes me) will ride in our Memorial Day parade as usual, we expect to see them riding on the side roads often. Things are not upscale or ritzy out here in Ridge, just really naturally beautiful with abundant wildlife, and hardworking people that still enjoy simple things.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:13 AM

638 posts, read 1,283,963 times
Actually, when you're talking horse properties, the kind that are set up with barns, there are basically two kinds: on a park for trail riding, or not on a park, but with a riding ring. Some on a park have riding arenas as well. So, do you need trails, a ring, or both?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island