Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:27 PM

130 posts, read 743,476 times

Advertisements

We are looking to rent an apartment in a house in sound beach, not very far from the beach. I was wondering if you can give me some insight on the schools. (My kids are still small yet. Not school age.) But I just want to get an idea of the neighborhood, schools, and people. We drove up there and it seemed pretty far from grocery stores, etc. But I like that the beach is close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 07:02 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesFixIt View Post
We are looking to rent an apartment in a house in sound beach, not very far from the beach. I was wondering if you can give me some insight on the schools. (My kids are still small yet. Not school age.) But I just want to get an idea of the neighborhood, schools, and people. We drove up there and it seemed pretty far from grocery stores, etc. But I like that the beach is close by.

Great town, youll love it.

Neighborhood is fun, down to earth, working class folks with a couple of big dollar homes on the bluffs.
Miller Place and Rocky Point Schools are both very good choices.

Not sure where you were looking but I cant think of anywhere in the area thats much more than 5 mins away from a Supermarket.
(you just gotta learn the backroads which can be a bit confusing)

Its one of the best values North of 25a on the Island.

Check out Rocky Point too.

Crooks

Old 05-10-2009, 08:17 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
Sound beach resident here...

Excellent choice...we have been here about a year and a half and are very happy. Good mix of people.

As far as proximity to stores...there are a few local deli's (Handy Pantry is probably the most popular)...but for bigger supermarkets its as Crooks says...there is 3 within a few miles on 25A.

Schools...we are in Rocky Point Schools...but the district line zig-zags through town. It depends on your exact address. We have a 2 and 3 year old...so are probably in the same boat there)

Lower Rocky Point Rd and Sound Beach Blvd are the busy thorough-fares...but the sides streets are nice and quiet. If you are close to the water you're probably north of Lower Rocky Point. If you can score a view it's even better!

Feel free to ask about anything specific. Good luck!!

Old 05-10-2009, 09:29 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Sound Beach

MissesFixIt, when you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which school district it is located by utilizing the Census Bureau's online address search function.

For those who may not be familiar with Sound Beach:

Sound Beach is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the north-center part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the north-central part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Sound Beach in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Long Island Sound; on the east by the Hamlet of Rocky Point; on the south by the Hamlet of Rocky Point and the Hamlet of Miller Place; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Miller Place

The Hamlet of Sound Beach has a different border than does the "Sound Beach, NY 11789" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have other than a "Sound Beach, NY 11789" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Sound Beach): there are places in the Hamlet of Sound Beach that have a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 05-11-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
MissesFixIt, when you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which school district it is located by utilizing the Census Bureau's online address search function.

For those who may not be familiar with Sound Beach:

Sound Beach is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the north-center part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the north-central part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Sound Beach in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Long Island Sound; on the east by the Hamlet of Rocky Point; on the south by the Hamlet of Rocky Point and the Hamlet of Miller Place; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Miller Place

The Hamlet of Sound Beach has a different border than does the "Sound Beach, NY 11789" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have other than a "Sound Beach, NY 11789" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Sound Beach): there are places in the Hamlet of Sound Beach that have a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
Although a bit funky.

Everything East of Westchester dr. on this map is known as Rocky Point to the locals.

Crooks

Old 05-11-2009, 10:32 AM

130 posts, read 743,476 times
If we get this apartment we would literally be like 3 seconds from the beach. Right down the street from the apartment/house. A lot of crazy back roads that seem like a maze but I was just wondering if there were things for kids out there and anything interesting for adults. I am pretty new to LI (only lived here a 11 mths) so just curious.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:48 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Default Things to do on Lawn Guyland

MissesFixIt, I'm guessing that Crooks will have a few ideas about things to do in the Rocky Point/Sound Beach area..

For an Island wide perspective, here are two sites that offer weekly eMail newsletters: LongIsland.com and About Long Island NY, and, here's what could be the best site: Long Island Convention & Visitors Bureau and Sports Commission.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:01 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
Quote:
If we get this apartment we would literally be like 3 seconds from the beach. Right down the street from the apartment/house. A lot of crazy back roads that seem like a maze but I was just wondering if there were things for kids out there and anything interesting for adults. I am pretty new to LI (only lived here a 11 mths) so just curious.
We take our kids to Port Jefferson Village a lot...they love the kids maritime museum. The aquarium in riverhead is fantastic...we have an annual pass.

If you are right on the water...you'll have options there also. Its a quiet town...but Rocky Point has restaurants/shops/etc.

It's definitely a maze...you are right about that but you'll appreciate the quietness off the main drag.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Tons.

Join your beach club.
http://www.sbpoa.com/index.html

If youre in RP schools you'll get the added benefit of North Shore Public Library.(MP=No library..you get to borrow Comsewogues.)

North Shore Little League is great.

Youre at the beginning of the North Fork/East End which is awesome all summer and still only 60 mi to NYC if you wanna catch a play/concert on the Weekend(We go often).

Theres free concerts every other Tuesday at St Anthonys in Rocky Point from June to Aug.
Classic Car show on Fri Nites/Th is in Wading River

Stuff doin @ Bald Hill and BNL too.
Plays at Theater three in Port Jeff.
Aquarium/Splish Spalsh in Riverhead

You can hop down the Billy Floyd to Smiths Point if you need some ocean.

Best bang for the buck on the North Shore.
We love it out here.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 05-11-2009 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-11-2009, 11:45 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,499 times
I second the SBPOA. They always have a field day at the beach, lots of fun for the kids. Also they have an annual clam bake. They make it feel like more of a community. I also lived VERY close to the beach. I used to be a lifeguard there. The water is almost always calm, they pay someone to clean the beach almost daily. It's nice. Quiet, small nice place for kids. I'd also second the PJ village area for adults. Welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island