Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move from LI to NC considering all family and job go with you???
In a heartbeat 30 32.61%
Probably yes 11 11.96%
Maybe 10 10.87%
Probably no 18 19.57%
Never 23 25.00%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:45 PM

783 posts, read 1,423,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
you couldn't pay me to live in NC. I wonder how many people on this thread have actually visited it. It's cheap for a reason. Take one trip there and I wonder how many people would actually want to move.

The grass isn't always greener.

Heading to Nags Head NC next month for vacation. I'll bring back some grass to compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 01:49 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
For your info, I was hacking it very nicely on LI. I owned a home in Commack and grew up on Long Island. My hubby was offered a job transfer to NC for more money and we took it. Never regretted it. 7 years later, I still don't.
I don't care where people live, everyone has their own reasons for leaving or staying, but to make statements about a area that are false or to lump a whole state under on heading is crazy which is why I posted to begin with.

BTW - I want better than "fine" for my life.
Throw a couple of kids into the mix and see how you do with your mediocre paying job on LI. Good luck.

Yes we WANT to live here in NC, if we didn't we would come back. The house that I sold in Commack is actually on the market again for less than I could sell my NC house for.
If you want more than a "fine" life for your kids...LI has much better schools. More % of people here graduate from college than do in NC...and all of the south. The south has one of the lowest % of people who go to college out of anywhere in the country. I value education, so yeah that is a reason alone why I would stay here.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:56 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
That is a big IF!

but as I also stated, my husband's not being a NYer meant he was just not willing to pay so much more for a smaller house, on less property, with more congestion, to be closer to the city.
again, $$. There are plenty of areas with large homes on big pieces of property with easy commutes to NYC. Obviously these can be very expensive houses...but they are out there if you have the money.

Quote:
Now that we have been here 3 years I would not return. The congestion, which I used to complain about, like everyone else, now truly bothers me. Before it was just like complaining about ho summers or rainy days- it was inevitable, and you dealt with it.
But, if you make a life elsewhere and are happy with the tradeoffs, what was a minor annoyance becomes a deal breaker!
congestion and traffic are pretty much givens in every suburb of a major city in this country. You are right about people just dealing with it as part of thier every day lives....I don't even notice it, but it's certainly there. I also only really have to experience it on the weekends, so it's not really a big factor in my life.

Quote:
So, if we won the lottery we would nto move back. (yeah, my mom asks me about once a year!)
but would you stay where you are now?

Old 06-23-2009, 02:04 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Quote:
Only if you need to travel into the city of Altanta to work. Similar to driving from LI into Manhattan.

I wouldn't mind the traffic if the cost of living was low, but you have high cost of living AND traffic on LI.
From personal experience - even the area considered the outlying metro region of Atlanta has horrible traffic - not unlike DC/Baltimore area, Dallas/Fort Worth, parts of Vegas, Boston area, etc. Rush hour traffic around every large metro area is going to stink regardless. That is why I do not fully understand people lamenting Long Island's traffic, as if this region invented rush hour gridlock. Its a heck of a lot better than Tampa for example. It might sound surprising but LI is better equipped than a lot of those other areas because it has other options besides the one major route in and out that many of these newer suburban sprawl areas are now battling. Yeah, rush hour can be a crawl, but it is a crawl in Hartford, around Chicago, San Fran, etc....

As for NC, I have no idea. Nice to see you pop by the forum slynn. It has been awhile .

Old 06-23-2009, 02:07 PM

718 posts, read 2,973,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
If you want more than a "fine" life for your kids...LI has much better schools. More % of people here graduate from college than do in NC...and all of the south. The south has one of the lowest % of people who go to college out of anywhere in the country. I value education, so yeah that is a reason alone why I would stay here.

Really? because I don't live in "all of the south or all of NC". I live in Cary. Close to my area is Duke, NC State and UNC Chapel Hill, all well regarded colleges. My areas schools are very good as well. High SAT scores that rivel LI schools(search Greenhope HS). The Triangle area is one of the most educated in the country. Research Triangle Park employs some of the smartest and well educated people in the world.

I can't speak for all of NC schools because my kids don't attend every school, but LI had some bad schools as well, areas of LI that I would never live in if I had to send my kids to school there.

I think you may need a bit more education before you speak about other areas or lump a whole state or the whole south in general.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
From personal experience - even the area considered the outlying metro region of Atlanta has horrible traffic - not unlike DC/Baltimore area, Dallas/Fort Worth, parts of Vegas, Boston area, etc. Rush hour traffic around every large metro area is going to stink regardless. That is why I do not fully understand people lamenting Long Island's traffic, as if this region invented rush hour gridlock. Its a heck of a lot better than Tampa for example. It might sound surprising but LI is better equipped than a lot of those other areas because it has other options besides the one major route in and out that many of these newer suburban sprawl areas are now battling. Yeah, rush hour can be a crawl, but it is a crawl in Hartford, around Chicago, San Fran, etc....

As for NC, I have no idea. Nice to see you pop by the forum slynn. It has been awhile .

Thanks for the welcome back .
Actually, friends ho just moved here from Atlanta said the traffic was bad in the suburbs, so they actually paid a hilt to live in the city of Atlanta.
They have been to NY and said the traffic was similar.
All I know is what they call traffic here in my area of NC is laughable.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
Heading to Nags Head NC next month for vacation. I'll bring back some grass to compare.

Have fun, I heard it is really nice. I have yet to venture to my own states beaches. I am stuck in Myrtle Beach until my kids get sick of it.

Hilton Head is really nice also, very peaceful in the off season, not as built up as Myrtle.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:17 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post

There are very few areas where rush hour extends as far out as it does on LI. You have a serious rush hour all the way out to exit 63 on the LIE..that's like 50 miles. Only LA really rivals that. In most areas 25-30 miles outside the city is pretty much clear. 50 miles outside of DC it's rural. 50 miles outside Seattle you're on top of a Volcano.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:28 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Really? because I don't live in "all of the south or all of NC". I live in Cary. Close to my area is Duke, NC State and UNC Chapel Hill, all well regarded colleges. My areas schools are very good as well. High SAT scores that rivel LI schools(search Greenhope HS). The Triangle area is one of the most educated in the country. Research Triangle Park employs some of the smartest and well educated people in the world.

I can't speak for all of NC schools because my kids don't attend every school, but LI had some bad schools as well, areas of LI that I would never live in if I had to send my kids to school there.

I think you may need a bit more education before you speak about other areas or lump a whole state or the whole south in general.
Just b/c NC has good colleges doesn't mean that NCers actually go to them. I bet you would find a ton of Northeasterners who go those schools.

Furthermore, SAT scores are crap. I got an 840 in mine with a 98 average in high school. Some people are just lousy test-takers no matter what state they are from.

More people have degrees in the northeast than the south- I didn't make that up.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:00 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
Quote:
These threads about NC make me laugh. All parts of NC are judged by a few areas, and some of the statements about certain areas (Cary being flat for example ....
Cary is flat compared to teh more northern parts fo teh Triangle. As you drive south, that is where theyou transition from the piedmont to tthe coastal plain. It gets flatter as you head south, the vegetation changes, etc.

I agree on your braoder point, though. NY certainly has poor rural areas- tons of them. NY does not end at Westchester.

NY is vast, but many people in the more populated part of the state know nothing about the Thousand Islands or Buffalo, for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island