Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:38 AM

240 posts, read 237,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwenrn View Post
I'm the original poster. Examples to give proper perspective to the original question.

Say, 1st scenario:
1st house that needs the updates is in Rockville Centre (highly regarded SD)
The 2nd house (the middle of the road, can move right in) is Mineola SD

2nd scenario:
1st house that needs the updates is in East Williston SD (Wheatley)
2nd house (middle of the road, move right in) is in Lynbrook

3rd scenario:
1st house: Herricks SD
2nd house:Mineola SD

To me, the 2nd scenario has the most variables/differences. The others seem like a toss-up and like others have stated, can greatly depend on how much value an individual puts on "top rated school lists". Aside from that, from a financial/real estate perspective, I know houses in higher rated school districts typically hold value better.
I would stay away from Mineola SD. They spend an obscene amount of money per student and do not get good results. Lynbrook seems to be a nice village with a solid school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 07:43 AM

126 posts, read 332,238 times
If both homes are the same exact price with minimal difference in taxes, then the concern is really just trying to "keep up with the joneses". That being said, I can't help but think it is smarter to surround my little home with nicer, more expensive homes - thus insulating my investment.
And on the community/social side, just accept that there will be pressures wherever we live with money, clothes etc.
At least that's how I'm leaning.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:46 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
If both homes are the same exact price with minimal difference in taxes, then the concern is really just trying to "keep up with the joneses". That being said, I can't help but think it is smarter to surround my little home with nicer, more expensive homes - thus insulating my investment.
And on the community/social side, just accept that there will be pressures wherever we live with money, clothes etc.
At least that's how I'm leaning.

Then Rocky Point/Sound Beach is your move, that was our rationale as well.

You wont get hurt north of 25A with neighbors like Miller Place and Shoreham Village.

JMHO

Crooks

Old 06-18-2009, 09:15 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
Default Take your pick...

Best Bargain Book

patchogue, ny bookstores - Google Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
alright then you find one for me pls. brookhaven to lake grove mall (smithaven mall). if there's a closer one I WOULD LOVE to find it

Old 06-18-2009, 09:25 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Brookhaven? Lake Grove? Smithaven Mall?

South Shore is all about the Sunrise Highway, folks!! Wow.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:38 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
i thought there was a bookstore in tanger? i could be wrong though

Old 06-18-2009, 03:28 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
I'm the original poster. Examples to give proper perspective to the original question.

Say, 1st scenario:
1st house that needs the updates is in Rockville Centre (highly regarded SD)
The 2nd house (the middle of the road, can move right in) is Mineola SD

2nd scenario:
1st house that needs the updates is in East Williston SD (Wheatley)
2nd house (middle of the road, move right in) is in Lynbrook

3rd scenario:
1st house: Herricks SD
2nd house:Mineola SD

To me, the 2nd scenario has the most variables/differences. The others seem like a toss-up and like others have stated, can greatly depend on how much value an individual puts on "top rated school lists". Aside from that, from a financial/real estate perspective, I know houses in higher rated school districts typically hold value better.
School districts:
Wheatley is #1 on some lists comparing LI schools and very high up on others
Herricks is at least in the top 15
Lynbrook and RVC are both very, very good at least in the top 40
Mineola middle of the road for LI; around #60 out of over 120 SDs

Another thing to consider:
RVC has its own electric utility and you will not be slave to LIPA and will pay far less.

So if you want to go for the first option, a somewhat fixer-upper, I would say choose East Williston in 2nd scenario or RVC in 1st scenario.

If you want to go for the second option, a house that doesn't need more work put into it, I would say choose Lynbrook in 2nd scenario.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:02 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Then Rocky Point/Sound Beach is your move, that was our rationale as well.

You wont get hurt north of 25A with neighbors like Miller Place and Shoreham Village.

JMHO

Crooks
I think the lady means live IN the more affluent community, not in a less affluent community which is adjacent to it.

As for SD, why would she be interested in schools that are at or near the bottom tier when she is looking at those at or near the top (or at least in the upper 50%)?

As for location, she is looking in the central part of western Nassau. Why suggest way out in Suffolk at the northern-most part?

I really should visit RP again and perhaps I will see why you are so totally devoted to it. I admit I haven't been there in a long time. I never thought it was anywhere bad of course, but I don't see why you always make it the ultimate location answer to all seekers when anyone else would not even think to suggest it if one considers the OP's details. (If I didn't know any better, I would think you have your house for sale in RP. )

Old 06-18-2009, 04:39 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,869 times
Choice #1 in Scenario #2....The updater in East Willy SD...

Old 06-18-2009, 04:48 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
As for location, she is looking in the central part of western Nassau. Why suggest way out in Suffolk at the northern-most part?

I really should visit RP again and perhaps I will see why you are so totally devoted to it, I would think you have your house for sale in RP. )

Actually Crooks owns abot 2/3rds of all the houses in RP, after a year or 2 on this board, he will have convinced everyone how nice it is, and will make a killing in the real estate market............................................ .................................................. ............................
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island