Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 07:30 AM

23 posts, read 93,457 times

Advertisements

We are newlyweds and have a baby on the way. We are looking for a starter home in the $300-$400k price range with taxes under $6500. We are looking at a bunch of different neighborhoods including North/West Babylon, Lindenhurst, Huntington, Deer Park, Kings Park, and Holbrook. Out of all the places listed it seems that Holbrook would give us the most bang for our buck (decent lot size, Sachem schools, reasonable taxes, no "bad parts" of the neighborhood etc) I currently work in Great Neck and the downside to living in Holbrook would be the commute. Any insight?? How about opinions for or against Holbrook?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
Bottom line ....any commute to Great Neck is gonna suck at rush hour.

Id stay North or maybe South ...but Holbrooks ok.

I think collectively the middle of LI is going the wrong way(gangsta gangsta).
Deer Park is the latest casualty from what I hear.My buddy whos owns a biz there for 20 years is looking to leave.
(BTW same buddy sold his house in North Bab for similar resons 3 years ago and now lives in Smithtown...but there are some people on this board who like it there...ask them.)

Were listed in Rocky Point (and yes to all of the above 339k taxes 6400)
PM me for the listing if youre interested.

C

Last edited by bellafinzi; 08-09-2007 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 08-09-2007, 08:49 AM

553 posts, read 1,934,880 times
I live in Holbrook and I would highly recomend Holbrook look in the developements though.You want your kids to go to Sachem east high school. Not sachem north Ronkonkoma area goes there now I know I will probably here crap for saying that but there are rough areas in ronkonkoma.but not terrible.I live 5 mins from sayville town I grew up there and bought my home here cause the taxes were cheaper.Look for a home in timber ridge or new england village both very nice and you can get a starter home 3 bed ranch for the prices your looking at most likely closer to 400 or a tad more but you can get for 350 that just need to be updated. all in all it is a great area good schools my oldest graduated and went to college and my second is a senior in east and loves it my daughter is in middle school and love it elementry schools are excellant. any questions just ask.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:51 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
I live in Holbrook and I would highly recomend Holbrook look in the developements though.You want your kids to go to Sachem east high school. Not sachem north Ronkonkoma area goes there now I know I will probably here crap for saying that but there are rough areas in ronkonkoma.but not terrible.I live 5 mins from sayville town I grew up there and bought my home here cause the taxes were cheaper.Look for a home in timber ridge or new england village both very nice and you can get a starter home 3 bed ranch for the prices your looking at most likely closer to 400 or a tad more but you can get for 350 that just need to be updated. all in all it is a great area good schools my oldest graduated and went to college and my second is a senior in east and loves it my daughter is in middle school and love it elementry schools are excellant. any questions just ask.

That kid just stabbed to death in Ronkonkoma.Gangs etc.
Ex-con killed Ronkonkoma teen during argument -- Newsday.com (broken link)
Agreed.

C

Old 08-09-2007, 08:55 AM

oh yea Holbrook south where I told you to look, is not really the middle of the island. We are just north of sunrise highway.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
That kid just stabbed to death in Ronkonkoma.Gangs etc.
Ex-con killed Ronkonkoma teen during argument -- Newsday.com (broken link)
Agreed.

C
Yea that is why I was saying to look where the kids would go to sachem east high instead of sachem north high.Where those developements are they are just east of broadway ave north of sunrise highway. Highly desireable areas houses dont last long here unless they are overpriced or need alot of work and priced high.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:45 PM

265 posts, read 945,241 times
Quote:
I went to both Sachem North and Sachem East, and I must say that Sachem East by far had more drug problems and fights.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:13 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,366 times
If Ronkonkoma is getting hit withh illegals, flop houses, and MS-13 are those problems now starting to show up in the Sachem school district?

Has there been in an increase in Sachems ESL numbers?

I know the districts test scores are relatively low, are ESL students dragging down the overall scores?

Anyone have any insight?

Old 08-11-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John9l0 View Post
I went to both Sachem North and Sachem East, and I must say that Sachem East by far had more drug problems and fights.
How did you go to both? east has only been open for 3 years my oldest son went to north only and it was by far worse than east . if you are talking drugs they are in every school even those folks that say not in my school they are there that is just the way it is. and kids will fight in any school also. IMHO east is the better school and alot of people agree people who go to north wish they could be at east. Maybe just because it is new I dont know . and alot has to do with certain graduating years some are worse then others. we all no sayville and bayport has bad heroin problems amongst the youth but no one will ever admit to that from those towns except I know kids there and they admit to it my oldest knew it also but those schools are always thought to be great. Now I ask you were you scared to go to either school? you must have graduated within the past three years and your first year in north must have been with all the kids from east and north then the school split and you went to east now you are getting older that is when the drugs and fights start . I could be wrong maybe you moved and went to both I dont know I am just going by my expieriences with both and when my oldest went the rougher area goes to north.And my middle son goes to east rite now and I have yet to hear anything bad yet. peace

Old 08-11-2007, 11:59 AM

265 posts, read 945,241 times
Quote:
How did you go to both? east has only been open for 3 years my oldest son went to north only and it was by far worse than east . if you are talking drugs they are in every school even those folks that say not in my school they are there that is just the way it is. and kids will fight in any school also. IMHO east is the better school and alot of people agree people who go to north wish they could be at east. Maybe just because it is new I dont know . and alot has to do with certain graduating years some are worse then others. we all no sayville and bayport has bad heroin problems amongst the youth but no one will ever admit to that from those towns except I know kids there and they admit to it my oldest knew it also but those schools are always thought to be great. Now I ask you were you scared to go to either school? you must have graduated within the past three years and your first year in north must have been with all the kids from east and north then the school split and you went to east now you are getting older that is when the drugs and fights start . I could be wrong maybe you moved and went to both I dont know I am just going by my expieriences with both and when my oldest went the rougher area goes to north.And my middle son goes to east rite now and I have yet to hear anything bad yet. peace
I lived with my grandma in ronkonkoma during my 11th grade year, and moved back to my house in holtsville in my senior year. From what I saw, East had many more fights and more drugs in it. Not to say either school is terrible, I never felt scared at north or east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island