Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:25 PM

964 posts, read 2,465,289 times

Advertisements

Ok, time for some tough truths in here.

1. Most people getting married in Church today are doing so for the "ceremony" of it all. Frankly, they are hypocrites. If pre-cana was a "joke" to you, then why did you even bother? Do you really care about Jesus' teachings? Do you really want to go to Mass, share your faith, and help others through the church's charitable giving? If you aren't ready to be an active Catholic, then don't get married in the church...and clearly don't complain about a donation.

2. As others have mentioned, why just disdain for a contribution to the church that marries you, but not a peep when it comes to paying for over-priced wedding gowns, caterers, halls, videographers, DJ's, honeymoons, etc.? Makes no sense. Any couple getting married in a Catholic church knows there is a donation to be made. Be proactive and ASK way ahead of time. You can plan for the type of frosting on the side of your cake, but you can't plan this? C'mon.

3. People love to paint the church as a corrupt moneymaking machine. Certainly, there are some bad apples, but the Church is also arguably the world's largest charity with billions and billions in giving. Imagine how many people are helped each year around the world with the aid of the Church. It's astounding when you think about it. The main reason for people's attacks and insecurities when it comes to the Church is easy to indentify:

People don't like to think their behaviors and actions are seen as wrong. They don't like any group holding them accountable or seemingly "limiting their freedom" in any way. Perhaps they hope that by discrediting others, they can shine the light of scrutiny away from themselves. This is silly. Attacking an organization that for the most part is an amazing institution that helps billions of people all over the world..all so one can feel better about themselves...we'll that's just sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 03:49 PM

294 posts, read 610,693 times
Well said azzurrony.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:59 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,328,733 times
I totally agree!

Old 07-13-2009, 05:06 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,328,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Ok, time for some tough truths in here.

1. Most people getting married in Church today are doing so for the "ceremony" of it all. Frankly, they are hypocrites. If pre-cana was a "joke" to you, then why did you even bother? Do you really care about Jesus' teachings? Do you really want to go to Mass, share your faith, and help others through the church's charitable giving? If you aren't ready to be an active Catholic, then don't get married in the church...and clearly don't complain about a donation.

2. As others have mentioned, why just disdain for a contribution to the church that marries you, but not a peep when it comes to paying for over-priced wedding gowns, caterers, halls, videographers, DJ's, honeymoons, etc.? Makes no sense. Any couple getting married in a Catholic church knows there is a donation to be made. Be proactive and ASK way ahead of time. You can plan for the type of frosting on the side of your cake, but you can't plan this? C'mon.

3. People love to paint the church as a corrupt moneymaking machine. Certainly, there are some bad apples, but the Church is also arguably the world's largest charity with billions and billions in giving. Imagine how many people are helped each year around the world with the aid of the Church. It's astounding when you think about it. The main reason for people's attacks and insecurities when it comes to the Church is easy to indentify:

People don't like to think their behaviors and actions are seen as wrong. They don't like any group holding them accountable or seemingly "limiting their freedom" in any way. Perhaps they hope that by discrediting others, they can shine the light of scrutiny away from themselves. This is silly. Attacking an organization that for the most part is an amazing institution that helps billions of people all over the world..all so one can feel better about themselves...we'll that's just sad.
Sorry I tried to rep you but couldn't.

I think we are dealing with a different generation who has not gone thourh our Catholic school days.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:26 PM

15 posts, read 48,093 times
we paid $800, in July 08...yes its the norm! It went up all around about 2 years ago

Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,302,643 times
Do not believe for a second that anyone doing a job at a church is a volunteer. From admins to maintenance to musician's (just short of the choir) they are all PAID positions.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:12 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,405,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Do not believe for a second that anyone doing a job at a church is a volunteer. From admins to maintenance to musician's (just short of the choir) they are all PAID positions.
Yes, quite a few of the positions are paid. However, there are also volunteers. My bf's mother has volunteered at her local church for many years. Doing everything from helping with Sunday School to stuffing envelopes in the office. So there are volunteers too. If asked, I bet she'd be delighted to assist in decorating the church for a wedding.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:36 PM

130 posts, read 536,461 times
Sorry, had left this post a while ago. In my late response, yes a ceremony is cheaper than a mass. And, you will get a paper once you are signed on with the church, that will tell you what to pay the organist, singer, etc. A lot of churches also require you to pay the organist and singer, whether or not you really use them or not or if you bring in your own quartet. Again, I'm in the business and so know a lot about it. My daughter did not use either of the organist or singer in 2007, and we had to pay for both of them. We hired an additional quartet to play as she didn't want organ music. My aunt also was the singer for over 30 years in St. Anne's in Garden City. They say you must pay because they are on "hold". Like it or not.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:49 PM

939 posts, read 1,846,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBride2Be View Post
P.S. For all those people siding with the church, saying that they need to "pay the people" helping out with your wedding...let's be realistic...when my mother got married 20 yrs ago, her donation was $25. Was that really enough, inflation aside, to pay all the same people being paid today? Not a chance in hell. SO stop belittling the poor girl...$700 for an hour really IS absurd...especially since I'm sure her pre cana cost between $75-300, as ours did. People who "work" at churches are VOLUNTEER, except for the priest/deacon. The singer's are from the choir, as well as the organist. Nobody gets paid. Good argument, though, too bad it's wrong.
You don't have a clue. The church has lots of people who work for it -- secretaries, maintenance people, business managers, social workers, singers, organists ... you get the picture. They don't make a lot of money, but they do work and get paid. The average Catholic church on Long Island has an annual operating budget in excess of a million dollars. And just about all of it comes solely from donations.

Do a little research before you make a statement like that.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:53 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,467,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My fiance and I are set to get married in a Catholic church next weekend. The church just sent us something in the mail that says we owe them $700??? Is this even normal?! We thought it would be like $300 tops. The musician fee alone is $250. I told them we only just heard about this now, but they claim all the exact pricing was in a book they gave us when we booked it. We read through it all (even though they claim we didn't), and it said NOTHING about that much money. If we read it to be that much, we would have chosen another place for the ceremony. The woman was going back and forth saying it's a donation, it's a fee, just back and forth. And she also said it was due a month ago when no one told us anything. I told her we just bought a house and we're paying for that and the wedding ourselves, and how we can't give anymore than $300. She actually had the nerve to say "You can pay for your own limo and reception hall, but yet you can't give enough money to the church?" See, this is why I can't stand churches and religions.

Does this seem fishy to you? My good friend got married in PA and only had to spend $50. For it to be that much more here is absurd. What did you pay the church when you got married here?

I'm very worried, because she told me we may not be able to get married there if we don't pay $700. I'm waiting to speak to the business manager about this.
I would take the book they are speaking of and go into the office and ask her where this statement is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island