Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:56 PM

23 posts, read 58,118 times

Advertisements

My fiancee just finished her master's and got her certification for bio and chem, high school and middle school. A month before she finished her grad school, she had a job lined up in the Bellmore/Merrick HS district. She only went on one interview and got the offer, originally supposed to be a leave replacement, but then the position was changed to something better, not tenure-track but something else, I can't remember. Suffice to say, don't let yourself get bogged down with all the negative comments about not being able to find a job on Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 03:01 PM

24 posts, read 69,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
I wish you good luck Toronto Lady. You are getting great advice especially from DJ. I myself am a teacher in Florida and have been looking to return to Long Island. I got married in october and my wife is currently on Long Island while I am in Florida. I was finishing out my school year in Florida and have been monitoring the ny times and all of the teaching websites since probably the last week of january, first week of February. I have yet to hear boo from anything regarding a potential teaching opportunity. If I do hear, its that there are no jobs available. I have a unique situation, as when I began teaching, I was fresh out of college, no education classes, no certification, etc. Baptism by fire so to speak. I learned a lot and really credit my experiences for helping me to be the teacher I am today. I got a job teaching science (biology) in the catholic high school where I graduated from. No problems, loved it, taught for four years. Left on great terms. I moved to Florida and got certified down here and have just finished up my fifth year teaching. I have expanded to teaching Chemistry (filling in since they got stuck with an extra class) and I also taught an Anatomy and Physiology class.

Here is the great news (sarcasm)!!

NY state does not recognize my Florida professional teaching certificate for interstate reciprocity. They say I have not been teaching long enough under it or something like that. I paid a 100 bucks for them to evaluate my paperwork and tell me that too. They said I would have to go the normal certification route and take like 4 classes at a four year college, a few workshops, three tests towards certification, etc. Basically it was like starting from scratch and it was not feasible to accomplish it all between the beginning of this year and the start of the 2009 academic school year, time wise or finance-wise. I have tried applying to every private and catholic school on Long island and NYC that I could think of. I have used the websites mentioned which are real good tools. I have even applied to postings for public school jobs for science even though it said NYS certification required. I figured what the hell....I teach science and there is supposed to be a "shortage" and a "need" for math and science. Maybe they would hire on a special need basis or under a temporary emergency certification to get a body in the class since I would be working towards professional certification. Anyway....at this point, I am currently applying to any jobs (non-teaching) I feel remotely qualified for in the hopes I get a bite and also hoping maybe something falls through at a school and I get a phone call in august for a teaching opportunity. Until I have a full time job lined up doing something, I cannot return. DJ mentioned subbing and it is a last resort, but it just will not help my situation so I have not entertained it yet. I would rather try to get a non-teaching job. In any event, I wish you good luck. DJ, I thank you for your advice too. I found it helpful as well.
wow Samrai! I thought I had lots to think about.
But the good news from everything you mentioned is that you have the Science credentials which they really do need. I think I did see a bunch of Science related postings, of course every position always states must be NYS certified. But my cousin had also mentioned that if I had Science credentials they may have hired me based on need and give me some time to complete the certification. I hope something like that happens for you.
Good luck with that.

My recommendation would be to quickly complete all the requirements so you can get a good job! The struggle will be worth it in the end.

I initially got really angry that I had to write so many tests because I am simply moving from Canada, but I later realized the same rule applies for teachers moving from a different state. It is pretty rigid.

But why do you have to take extra courses at the college for science?? don't you already have a bachelors degree related to science???

I hope I don't have to take any extra courses.....

Old 07-10-2009, 03:07 PM

7 posts, read 6,396 times
Do any of you know anything about Hillcrest High School in Country Club Hills? I will be teaching there soon.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:08 PM

563 posts, read 2,570,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Lady View Post
wow Samrai! I thought I had lots to think about.
But the good news from everything you mentioned is that you have the Science credentials which they really do need. I think I did see a bunch of Science related postings, of course every position always states must be NYS certified. But my cousin had also mentioned that if I had Science credentials they may have hired me based on need and give me some time to complete the certification. I hope something like that happens for you.
Good luck with that.

My recommendation would be to quickly complete all the requirements so you can get a good job! The struggle will be worth it in the end.

I initially got really angry that I had to write so many tests because I am simply moving from Canada, but I later realized the same rule applies for teachers moving from a different state. It is pretty rigid.

But why do you have to take extra courses at the college for science?? don't you already have a bachelors degree related to science???

The extra courses were not science courses.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt776 View Post
My fiancee just finished her master's and got her certification for bio and chem, high school and middle school. A month before she finished her grad school, she had a job lined up in the Bellmore/Merrick HS district. She only went on one interview and got the offer, originally supposed to be a leave replacement, but then the position was changed to something better, not tenure-track but something else, I can't remember. Suffice to say, don't let yourself get bogged down with all the negative comments about not being able to find a job on Long Island.
I wish your fiancee the best of luck. It sounds like she is very well prepared. I hope you did not find my post to be negative. I was trying to write a constructive post regarding my situation becuase I thought it might be helpful and similar to the OP. Bottom line with landing a job, its all about preparation and qualifications. Anyone who is closest to what a district is looking for will have the best chances for interviewing and hiring, be it education, certification, experience, etc. Once again, I wish her the best of luck.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:02 PM

330 posts, read 888,316 times
Quote:
I am not positive but I think there are only three types of placements. There is a leave replacement (where when the person comes back you are either gone or they find you a new position that you might have to interview for again), or there is a part time (where you don't teach a full schedule) or there is a probationary appointment (which is a tenure track position). Curious to know if there is something else???

Old 07-10-2009, 04:07 PM

330 posts, read 888,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Lady View Post

You might have to.

I had to take a year of french because a year of a language is required for some reason no matter what you teach, at least back when I was applying years ago, a lot has changed since then. Also, when they review your transcript they sometimes reject certain courses as not counting towards the required 'in field' courses. For example I was an engineer before teaching but none of my engineering courses counted as science (what crap) ... I actually had to take a geology course at a community college to get 3 more credits to the requirement.

You can find all of the requirements here
Which Pathway is Right for Me?

And you can also go to nassau boces and someone can do some kind of transcript evaluation and let you know where you stand. It was a long time ago so I don't really remember all the details on that.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdairyp View Post
You might have to.

I had to take a year of french because a year of a language is required for some reason no matter what you teach, at least back when I was applying years ago, a lot has changed since then. Also, when they review your transcript they sometimes reject certain courses as not counting towards the required 'in field' courses. For example I was an engineer before teaching but none of my engineering courses counted as science (what crap) ... I actually had to take a geology course at a community college to get 3 more credits to the requirement.

You can find all of the requirements here
Which Pathway is Right for Me?

And you can also go to nassau boces and someone can do some kind of transcript evaluation and let you know where you stand. It was a long time ago so I don't really remember all the details on that.
At least you got the option of a community college. They did not even give me that. There is a big difference in price per credit between a community college and a four year school for the same type of course. That may not bother most but it bothered me when I thought the course was BS.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:35 PM
LIR

77 posts, read 295,276 times
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but virtually every public school district on Long Island excessed teachers in June due to a projected decrease in enrollment. Anyone excessed remains on a "preferred eligibility list" for seven years to be rehired. Very few teachers retired this year due to the economy, which means that there is zero turnover in some certification areas. Therefore, the chances of getting a job as an "outsider" who has not previously worked for that district is very slim.

The OP mentioned going back to get an elementary certification. I can tell you that there are literally thousands of certified ElEd teachers on Long Island who have not been able to ever find a full time teaching position. Most end up working as Teacher Aides to get their foot in the door, plus it is steady work. Others do per diem subbing, but as you saw, the pay is low. Leave replacement positions are good to get, but I can almost guarantee that every public school district on LI will require NYS certification for that. Again, there is a huge pool of certified teachers who are unemployed, so districts have their pick. For every probationary teaching opening, a district gets anywhere from 300 to 1000 applications.

Private schools also laid off teachers in June, because they anticipate lower enrollments since families can no longer afford the tuition. It is bad out there.

Most schools are going to hold off on hiring until mid-August, when the Principals return from their break, and they have a better idea of exactly how many students will be enrolled.

If you and your spouse need the income (more than what subbing or being a TA would provide), I would suggest working in another field while you complete the requirements for NYS certification. That is the reality on Long Island right now.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:40 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Quote:
I'm a product of BMCHSD- good schools, good faculty. She will like it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island