Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 11,050 times

Advertisements

We are going to be putting up a 6 ft tall privacy fence between us and our neighbor (just one wall on the right side of the house as the left side and back are closed in by other neighboring fences). Our neighbor on the right already has a low 4 ft open spindle fence and said we cant put our new fence up against her because it will block the light. We are going through the permit process, but I couldn't find any information on the TOH website regarding fences butted up against existing fences - only that it had to be within your property line. Anyone have any insight? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 11:45 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
I don’t think there are restrictions against limiting light towards anything. You’d be putting in a 6 foot fence, not blocking the sun.

Check with the town just to be sure, but as you’re getting a permit if there was any complaint from your neighbor let them raise it.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:46 PM

376 posts, read 310,178 times
You’re not allowed to put a 6ft fence on the front section of your house whether it be the front or sides. Only 4ft and it has to be see through

Old 04-17-2020, 06:00 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
You’re not allowed to put a 6ft fence on the front section of your house whether it be the front or sides. Only 4ft and it has to be see through
Why is that?

Old 04-17-2020, 07:50 PM

1,107 posts, read 552,008 times
Taller fences in front section of houses obscure the view of drivers.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:03 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
I'm not positive, but I think it's a 4ft limit for a fence on the side of property in Town of Hempstead. At least, that's what we were told several years ago. A 6ft fence in the back was permissible.

Old 04-18-2020, 07:09 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
Taller fences in front section of houses obscure the view of drivers.
If your driving down a street of homes (not a corner house) how is a drivers view obscured? Maybe its because the town wants to be able to drive by and find illegal projects....

Old 04-18-2020, 08:47 AM

The rules state it can be 6 feet tall on the back and sides, as long as you aren't on a corner lot. It can be 6' on the sides as long as it doesn't go down in front of your property.If you want it to enclose your entire property, it has to be 4' once it passes you house or goes in front so it doesn't block site lines. I've spoken with a plan examiner.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:50 AM

Also, the height of the fence is not my question. I am wondering if there are rules about butting fences up against each other. I've driven around my neighborhood and have found two houses in which fences are butted up against each other (in each case a 6' and a 4' back to back) but I have no idea if these were permitted or if the neighbors cares/questioned it.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:43 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,921,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoceanside View Post
Also, the height of the fence is not my question. I am wondering if there are rules about butting fences up against each other. I've driven around my neighborhood and have found two houses in which fences are butted up against each other (in each case a 6' and a 4' back to back) but I have no idea if these were permitted or if the neighbors cares/questioned it.
Hoping to be helpful here by just giving an example of 'problematic fence issues in the TOH'. My Mom's backyard had (before Sandy) one of those chain link fences. It was old & think it was about 4 feet tall? ( my Brother & I used to challenge each other to see how long we could walk on it without falling is how I know it wasn't that tall )

After about 20 years, her neighbors to the back sold their house to new folks. The new folks installed a very nice 6 foot high white fence. Their 6' white fence was installed about 6" away from my Mom's old 4' chainlink one. All was fine until the new folks went to sell their house ( about 5 or so years later? ). They went into contract with prospective buyers & found the 6' white fence was installed about 6 or 9" onto my Mom's property according to the newest survey completed for their transaction.

How I find out about all this is that my Mom told me. Frankly, she was a little unsettled about the whole thing, not because of the 6 or 9" of property but because lawyers & even RE professionals get her a tad nervous ~ even when they are attempting to represent her interests.

So the odd way the buyer/seller resolved this issue was to require a gate to be installed on the 6' white fence.

After Sandy, her neighbors to the back had a different? 6' white fence installed? or repaired? & asked her if they could remove her chainlink fence to do so. She agreed & all is well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island