Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:12 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
The last two times I called the police It took them a half hour to show up and they offered no assistance. Fortunately I rarely have to call them.
I suppose if I were Latino I would assume this poor service is due to my heritage but because i'm white, I guess I have no choice but to speculate.
I can't speak about why they showed up so late and what kind of assistance you were expecting from them.... maybe they did not do their duty, but I am talking relative terms.... I am not saying the police will come to every white mans house in 2 seconds and fix everything (you have very high expectations eh ? we need to pay them a little more for that ).

Moreover I was thinking more on the lines of non-first degree murder type situations where you might face a aggressive neighbor or some such scenario where you would want to take it to the police and have them look into it. The initial amount of stress and aggravation that anyone faces in such scenarios is the same regardless of the skin color, but the response of the authorities to the situation will either put you to ease or further stress you out.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 11:39 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I can't speak about why they showed up so late and what kind of assistance you were expecting from them.... maybe they did not do their duty, but I am talking relative terms.... I am not saying the police will come to every white mans house in 2 seconds and fix everything (you have very high expectations eh ? we need to pay them a little more for that ).

Moreover I was thinking more on the lines of non-first degree murder type situations where you might face a aggressive neighbor or some such scenario where you would want to take it to the police and have them look into it. The initial amount of stress and aggravation that anyone faces in such scenarios is the same regardless of the skin color, but the response of the authorities to the situation will either put you to ease or further stress you out.....

I believe Bill Smith and Jose Borjas will receive the same type of service should the police be summoned to help either.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:12 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Ok so you do believe that in todays age (2009 and not 1963) the police in Suffolk and Nassau county (not in Mississippi) are equally inclined to look into a complaint made by a latino or other dark skin race against whites.... as much as if a white were reporting someone else ?
I just mentioned profiling because it affects the people who are legally here and are law abiding citizens too.
How is this gauged? A latino guy on a bike gets shot at with a BB gun. He calls the cops, they take a report. T

hey claim they were attacked with baseball bats..did they report the attack to the police?

He gets interviewed later and says "my complaint was ignored.". How many people file police reports and never see someone in cuffs because of it? It doesn't seem the SPL centers report relied on much scientific data, only interviews with people who say that they live in fear.

The facts are this..we have about 4 incidents in the last 8 years or so that seem to have been motivated by hatred towards illegal immigrants/Hispanics. In each of those case, arrests have been made, and the law has done it's job. The SPLC now wants more to be done.....like what? Arresting Steve Levy for trying to do something about illegal immigration, which they think has motivated a few thugs to get violent? The anti-illegal sentiment has been around much longer than Steve Levy's tenure in office, sorry SPLC.

As a side note, how many Latino immigrants have been killed in gang attacks since then? I can think of 2 in the last 12 months right off of the top of my head.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post

So we have 2 news reports based on the same SPLC findings..I'm sure we can find 20 more links to different news agencies reporting on what SPLC believes is going on on LI.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:47 PM

748 posts, read 2,888,750 times
Most crime against illegal immigrants will go un-noticed because they shy away from the law ( since they do not know that local police do not have the authority to enforce federal immigration laws).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
How is this gauged? A latino guy on a bike gets shot at with a BB gun. He calls the cops, they take a report. T

hey claim they were attacked with baseball bats..did they report the attack to the police?

He gets interviewed later and says "my complaint was ignored.". How many people file police reports and never see someone in cuffs because of it? It doesn't seem the SPL centers report relied on much scientific data, only interviews with people who say that they live in fear.

The facts are this..we have about 4 incidents in the last 8 years or so that seem to have been motivated by hatred towards illegal immigrants/Hispanics. In each of those case, arrests have been made, and the law has done it's job. The SPLC now wants more to be done.....like what? Arresting Steve Levy for trying to do something about illegal immigration, which they think has motivated a few thugs to get violent? The anti-illegal sentiment has been around much longer than Steve Levy's tenure in office, sorry SPLC.

As a side note, how many Latino immigrants have been killed in gang attacks since then? I can think of 2 in the last 12 months right off of the top of my head.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
Most crime against illegal immigrants will go un-noticed because they shy away from the law ( since they do not know that local police do not have the authority to enforce federal immigration laws).
So what is it? Is it that the police ignore them, or that they tend not to want to deal with the police? Or is it however the SPLC wants it to appear? They're convinced that Latino's on LI are being subjected to oppression, they have their minds made up, so now they are going to report whatever they can to prove that point. I don't see much substance to what's been reported.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:19 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Arresting Steve Levy for trying to do something about illegal immigration, which they think has motivated a few thugs to get violent? The anti-illegal sentiment has been around much longer than Steve Levy's tenure in office, sorry SPLC.
On top of that, I highly doubt the teenage punks that have committed these crimes even know who Steve Levy is!

The SPLC is a sham organization who's goal is to go after anyone who opposes their vision of the "new progressive America". All they do is whine about militias that don't exist and a handful KKK chapters with 5 people each, 3 of whom are undercover Feds. Did anyone see their recent report about the rise of "right wing hate militias"? They made it seem like their is a million man right wing fascist militia right outside Washington DC about the storm the White House and overthrow Obama or something. Talk about sensationalism ....

Old 09-02-2009, 01:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i regret the death of any man. however 21 million enter country illegally looking for work, its not in the news. when one dies why headlines?

Old 09-02-2009, 01:58 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

I think your facts can go only so far as the newspaper and TV reports. I cannot believe they report petty crimes like BB guns, unless they result in death or hospitalization.
I am not siding with the illegals either, or people who are involved in gangs.

But, lets say for a moment that there is indeed an indifference on part of the police department towards certain type of individuals (although we are passionately defending that there isn't, which is fine.).... who in their right mind will admit to such a thing ? And how will it eventually come out for all to see ?
Everytime there is a small report (true or untrue) we have people jumping on the source

Old 09-02-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I think your facts can go only so far as the newspaper and TV reports. I cannot believe they report petty crimes like BB guns, unless they result in death or hospitalization.
I am not siding with the illegals either, or people who are involved in gangs.

But, lets say for a moment that there is indeed an indifference on part of the police department towards certain type of individuals (although we are passionately defending that there isn't, which is fine.).... who in their right mind will admit to such a thing ? And how will it eventually come out for all to see ?
Everytime there is a small report (true or untrue) we have people jumping on the source
The only evidence we can see..real bona fide evidence..about the police dept is that when latino people are killed..in bias attacks or by other Latinos..... people get arrested. So, we can safely say that in the case of murders, the police dept has not acted indifferently.

Southern Poverty Law Center interviewed some Latinos, and they said that they feel threatened, so the SPLC concludes that they live in fear and that they live in fear because people like Steve Levy create an uncomfortable atmosphere. I don't know what to say to this...did the FBI going after the mafia create an uncomfortable atmosphere for Italians? Levy was trying to crack down on illegal immigration..it's the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island